Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Brown shows good pace on the break and can play others in really well.

The formation we're playing leaving him and Russell high up the pitch when we're under pressure leaves out fullbacks exposes.  At one point yesterday their left back won possession 10 yards in front of Brown who was in no mans land.

He also had 4 good 2nd half chances to score and poorly squandered them.

My biggest problem is not so much with Brown himself but the formation we play.

Russell only has 2 league goals so far.  I want him on the end of those chances.

For me there is room for improvement.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everybody sees what they want to see. What about the time in the first half when he skinned the full back only to be pulled down? What about the time near the end when he chased an impossible ball, caught it, skinned the full back again in front of the ref who missed it?

We don't have any alternatives. Schmidt is no better than a stand by. I'm all for Stewart playing in midfield but not as a straight swap for Brown who is a forward. If we drop Brown the attack will be badly depleted. Brown has his well documented faults but he's capable of things which make our attacking unit better.

I actually largely agree with the Brown criticism, but at least he was involved in the game yesterday. In previous games he's been totally non existent, a complete passenger, so it was an improvement.

I'd like a formation that allows Russell to play centrally behind Ryan.

I hope he convinces me otherwise but it really infuriates me when I see him backing out of 50/50s and pretend he's closing down. Suppose we all have our particular favourites and others who we'll never take to. On the plus side that's 5 out of 6, we stopped conceding as many, there's a bit of fight in the team and was nice to see the crowd get behind them and show a bit of appreciation at the end. It can only help.

No doubt he is frustrating at times, but there is no sensible for case for him not playing at the moment. Primarily because there is no-one else, but also because he offers something a bit different. His delivery is pretty good, he can drive with the ball and for all the talk about him 'going missing' he will always have 2-3 moments in a match where he creates something or makes the keeper make save.

I've said before but the only way we can make this full-time setup work is by taking guys like Brown who are flawed, but have talent, and working with them to get them better. If he was doing the things that Airdrie fans moan at him for not doing he wouldn't be here in the first place.

17 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Rangers should buy Airdrie and use us as a feeder club.

ICF should buy the B.

Loudon Tavern should buy the Albert Bar.

Sons Of William should replace the Diamond Dancers.

Poor old Daily Rantic is making even more of an arse of itself these days.  Has "Kingy" started working there?

Next they'll be telling us there are 7 million Turkish midfielders waiting to come over and introduce a new offside rule based on Sharia law, and that Archie McPherson is actually a muslim born in Kenya.

And f*ckwits will believe it ....

I read the 'Rangers should buy Airdrie' comment in the Herald today and it was attributed to Alex Smith. It shows clearly the contempt for smaller clubs in the Scottish league set-up. In their scramble for relevance as an international force, these 'experts' think the Airdrie's, Clyde's and Ayr United's are there at the beck and call of the 'big' clubs and they dress it up as youth development. Of course, our sacrifice would be for the good of the game.

It seems that the trial of under-20 teams in the diddy cup may well be a forerunner to introducing youth teams into our leagues. They should maybe consider the possibility that the fan base at clubs like ours will disappear like snow aff a dyke if they continue with this folly.

Apparently every team is equal in the eyes of the Scottish Football Association and the Scottish Premier Football League. It's perhaps just that some teams are more equal than others. Why give young players a chance in the Rangers and Celtic team when you can just buy one of our wee insignificant clubs and use them for development without any risk ? Great idea, eh ? They complain about the big boys of Europe trying to exclude them. Hypocrisy at it's best ?

Next they'll be telling us there are 7 million Turkish midfielders waiting to come over and introduce a new offside rule based on Sharia law, and that Archie McPherson is actually a muslim born in Kenya.

And f*ckwits will believe it ....

How did the Daily Mail miss that scoop ?

I read the 'Rangers should buy Airdrie' comment in the Herald today and it was attributed to Alex Smith. It shows clearly the contempt for smaller clubs in the Scottish league set-up. In their scramble for relevance as an international force, these 'experts' think the Airdrie's, Clyde's and Ayr United's are there at the beck and call of the 'big' clubs and they dress it up as youth development. Of course, our sacrifice would be for the good of the game.

It seems that the trial of under-20 teams in the diddy cup may well be a forerunner to introducing youth teams into our leagues. They should maybe consider the possibility that the fan base at clubs like ours will disappear like snow aff a dyke if they continue with this folly.

Apparently every team is equal in the eyes of the Scottish Football Association and the Scottish Premier Football League. It's perhaps just that some teams are more equal than others. Why give young players a chance in the Rangers and Celtic team when you can just buy one of our wee insignificant clubs and use them for development without any risk ? Great idea, eh ? They complain about the big boys of Europe trying to exclude them. Hypocrisy at it's best ?

Did it actually say rangers should buy Airdrie.

Alex Smith says

Rangers and Celtic should buy over small clubs to allow youth players to flourish - reckons Alex Smith

There was no specific club mentioned it was small clubs in general.

5 minutes ago, carlukediamond said:

Did it actually say rangers should buy Airdrie.

Alex Smith says

Rangers and Celtic should buy over small clubs to allow youth players to flourish - reckons Alex Smith

There was no specific club mentioned it was small clubs in general.

"If Rangers for instance were to buy over Airdrie and the brand new stadium which is sitting there and play in the Championship league, and likewise Celtic with Clyde at Broadwood or Livingston, they can get their young players and play them in a competitive environment."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-celtic-should-buy-over-9258820

6 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

"If Rangers for instance were to buy over Airdrie and the brand new stadium which is sitting there and play in the Championship league, and likewise Celtic with Clyde at Broadwood or Livingston, they can get their young players and play them in a competitive environment."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-celtic-should-buy-over-9258820

The brand new, 18 year old, stadium.

Obviously nonsense so no point taking him seriously, but in general the opinions of people like him should be completely ignored. He's part of the old boys club who have been part of the huge decline of our game.

Rangers should buy Airdrie and use us as a feeder club.

ICF should buy the B.

Loudon Tavern should buy the Albert Bar.

Sons Of William should replace the Diamond Dancers.

Poor old Daily Rantic is making even more of an arse of itself these days.  Has "Kingy" started working there?

Not all bad ideas [emoji106]

8 hours ago, carlukediamond said:

What ever happened to the internal investigation regarding Hugo and the bullying allegations

I think you'll find the clue is in your quote.

Archived