Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

4 minutes ago, carlukediamond said:

Looking at it he might have been brought in as a player manager, he last played for Dumbarton 2015 and without a club , he's a right back.

If he has been brought in as player-manager to play at right back, who made that decision? What radio station is he on, Radio Clyde by any chance?

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Colin Paterson's reporting that Kevin McBride was offered a role with the club's U-20 side, which he rejected. Gordon Dalziel will operate as the Director of Football with Mark Wilson working as the "head coach".

Wild times down Airdrie way.

Unbelievable. What a shambles we are.

5 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but is Eddie Wolecki-Black still drawing a wage from Airdrieonians? Is he still involved with the club at any level?

Hang on, this club statement, published seconds ago, answers that question - CLICK.

I believe he is a regular pundit alongside Dalziel on SuperScoreboard...Make of that what you will.

Wilson is hands down one of the absolute worst players I've ever seen play for us. He was not only disinterested and miles off fitness, he was also brutal on the ball, couldn't tackle and looked scared to really...do anything. I hope for your sake he's a better manager than he was a player, and I hope he's not being brought in to play.

Here he is (#22) getting run ragged by Kudos Oyenuga at Cowdenbeath.

https://youtu.be/PIompoFaAWs?t=7m51s

Well it's another jobs for the boys appointment. Wilson as the new head coach seems fine. Don't know anything about his coaching abilities so can't really comment but appointing rookie managers has worked for other clubs and no reason why Wilson couldn't be the same. 

It's clear though that McBride wasn't up to the job and so I'm happy that that change has been made. 

Dalziel as Director of Football though? Not so much. I've already commented numerous times in other places why he's not good enough for that job. I'd much rather it went to someone else or Wilson was left to his own devices.

Very difficult to know what to say. Like most fans I felt that a change was needed but is this the right one? McBride was a nice guy but struggling. However, he could have been treated better. Seems to have been replaced by someone with even less experience than him. 2 questions. Will the Director of Football be able to spare the time to watch the team on Saturdays? Is there any evidence that Mark Wilson has any coaching certificates or experience?

No doubt all will be forgiven if we win a couple of games. Only positive I can draw from all of this is that TW seems still to care enough to want to do something about our situation although I for one am underwhelmed at what he has done.

3 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I believe he is a regular pundit alongside Dalziel on SuperScoreboard...Make of that what you will.

Wilson is hands down one of the absolute worst players I've ever seen play for us. He was not only disinterested and miles off fitness, he was also brutal on the ball, couldn't tackle and looked scared to really...do anything. I hope for your sake he's a better manager than he was a player, and I hope he's not being brought in to play.

Here he is (#22) getting run ragged by Kudos Oyenuga at Cowdenbeath.

https://youtu.be/PIompoFaAWs?t=7m51s

Absolutely. He looked like he was still playing with an injury. Cracking goal against Rangers though, which was pretty much his only positive contribution for us.

Although I was calling for McBride to go after the Peterhead game I have some sympathy for him. He wasn't ready for the job in the first place and was thrown in at the deep end. Most of the signings we made in the summer were poor. We probably will never know if McBride had any say over who was signed but he was responsible for training, tactics and team selection so has to take some blame for poor results and performances. Ultimately I think it was correct that he has been punted although the timing could have been better. As has been said by others the decision was probably made a couple of weeks ago but TW didn't want it to coincide with Dalziel coming in.

The appointment of Wilson as head coach doesn't fill me with any optimism. He has no previous experience so we're no better off. This should have been an opportunity to bring in an experienced manager. Will Dalziel be calling the shots? We have a difficult run of games coming up against the Rovers, Brechin and Alloa and a positive points return could consolidate our top 4 place. On the other hand we could quite easily lose all 3 and drop back down the league. 

Archived