Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not have any specific poster or posters in mind. I was just trying to make a point that in general our fans were quicker to criticise than praise. I thought yesterday's display was good and deserved recognition as such by more people than posted. Again I make the point that one victory does not make us a good team.

Whilst I enjoyed the game yesterday I don't think that would be good enough to get us by Livi or Brechin. Although it's a start. Think the midfield is too slow, no pace to consistently get up and support or get beyond the forwards. Rohan is half of Boatengs problem, he's too slow with the distribution fining Bo less time on the ball. He needs ages to control and decide what to do with it but that was his (Bo's) best game so far yesterday. Brown I think is lazy and heartless and a waste of a jersey. The positives? Well Scott Stewart gets better but agree with DBM that he's a destructive midfielder first and foremost. Russel and Ryan were a handful yesterday and Leitch should've had a goal. Here's hoping that the worms now turned and its the start of a settled team and run.

The folk on here moaning every week are genuine Airdrie fans who are hurting.  We hate sub 500 crowds and supporting a team who wilt under limited pressure.   We also hate being ridiculed for being a genuine diddy club after a lifetime of being dangerous and despised.

What does that say for those couple of creatures, definite wolves in sheep' clothing,  on here mocking those last few diehards because our team actually won a game?   

Whoop dee doo, we beat the worst team in the league, mainly thanks to QP being unable to handle Andy Ryan running at them.   I'm sure I speak for all *Genuine* Airdrie fans on here that I sincerely hope this win wasn't just a mirage.

Concerningly Boateng conceded a penalty, conceded a freekick inside the D and was extremely lucky not to concede another penalty but for a shocking howler from the ref, all in the first 23 mins.

Great to get the 3 points but there's a long, long, way to go.

Positive result yesterday and by all accounts a good performance. As I said after the Alloa game though, it will only count for something if we go on a winning run. Beating East Fife next week is important and beating the Rovers the week after is even more so.

16 hours ago, 2lgm said:

Well Scott Stewart gets better but agree with DBM that he's a destructive midfielder first and foremost. 

Here's my assessment of Scott Stewart's skillsets:

PASSING:  3/5 -   He's not bad on the ball but in a functional way.  A bit of an Evan Balfour/Neil MacFarlane kind of range.

RUNNING:  5/5 - Really good running on or off the ball.  Will not be taking men on like Stevie Gray, Stewart is a galloper and get's into a rangey, powerful stride, powering past opponents.

FINISHING:  3/5 -  Good at getting on end of crosses and has previously finished well inside the box when through on goal

DESTROYING (Breaking up play/ballwinnig):  4/5 -  Not a classic technique but uses his 6' frame well enough.   Competitive at all times and has pace to get out of trouble.

Given he is only 20 there's still room for improvement.  He has a skillset that can play in several positions.

I've been impressed that in the past month he has settled easily into the fullback position and is no longer making rookie mistakes and now looks very accomplished.

We looked better this week, however I'd say that was mainly down to playing a much poorer side who gifted us goals. Hopefully it will give them a bit of confidence, but next week will be a truer test of whether we are now on the right track or not.

I've still no idea what goes through Boateng's mind though, concedes what should have been a penalty with probably the most needless foul ever with a guy running away from goal at the corner of the box. Gets away with it though, but then 5 minutes later charges into a guy and gives a penalty away. It's maybe debatable whether it was a foul and the QP clearly went down easily, regardless though it's giving the referee a decision to make 5 minutes after he's turned down a stonewaller. I did like QPs tactics of marking Gorman at goal kicks but leaving Boateng free so we would give him the ball in the hope that he messed up. Didn't quite work this time but sure other teams will get success out of it. Although ironically it's actually Gorman who has gifted a couple of goals this year from that situation though, not Boateng.

We looked better this week, however I'd say that was mainly down to playing a much poorer side who gifted us goals. Hopefully it will give them a bit of confidence, but next week will be a truer test of whether we are now on the right track or not.

I've still no idea what goes through Boateng's mind though, concedes what should have been a penalty with probably the most needless foul ever with a guy running away from goal at the corner of the box. Gets away with it though, but then 5 minutes later charges into a guy and gives a penalty away. It's maybe debatable whether it was a foul and the QP clearly went down easily, regardless though it's giving the referee a decision to make 5 minutes after he's turned down a stonewaller. I did like QPs tactics of marking Gorman at goal kicks but leaving Boateng free so we would give him the ball in the hope that he messed up. Didn't quite work this time but sure other teams will get success out of it. Although ironically it's actually Gorman who has gifted a couple of goals this year from that situation though, not Boateng.

On the goal kicks - I liked our, for want of a better word, dummy tactic. Nice to see some stuff from Ravenscraig coming straight on to the park.

Anyone confirm if McBride has been sacked?! Read it on the bookface and a few have said yes.

That would seem typical of the club operates nowadays.

Positive performance and good win - sacked a few days later.

Having said that it can only be a positive if somebody new is coming in to take charge of the team as it's become (unfortunately) very obvious that McBride isn't up to the job

Archived