Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Airdrie will bite the bullet today and drop bombscare.    We'll continue with a 442 formation and, if we feel the need to overload in the midfield we'll get Russell to simply drop a bit deeper.

Dead simple.   Like the 1st half last week we'll defend more compactly but we'll play Conroy central. Fitz isnt playing because I him, it's because Griffiths is too small to defend corners.  But for an added twist he's playing left full back and the more adventurous McDonald will be left mid.

In 442 (or 4411 if Russell drops deeper)

Rohan

Stewart McIntosh Gorman Fitzpatrick

McLaughlin Leitch Conroy McDonald

Ryan  Russell

How likely in all honesty.

I like the look of the team, the balance , it could be the making of Fitzpatrick moving to left back.

But we all know when common sense and picking a Airdrie team the two rarely go together.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, carlukediamond said:

How likely in all honesty.

I like the look of the team, the balance , it could be the making of Fitzpatrick moving to left back.

But we all know when common sense and picking a Airdrie team the two rarely go together.

It's not perfect tbh.   The centre of midfield is too lacking in ball winning ability.   Oh to have a Marvin Wilson, Evan Balfour, Kenny Black,  Ross Docherty, Neil MacFarlane, Craig Barr type in there.   

There has never been a good team with a shit midfield.     I've suggested the best I can think of from our squad.   

Airdrie will bite the bullet today and drop bombscare.    We'll continue with a 442 formation and, if we feel the need to overload in the midfield we'll get Russell to simply drop a bit deeper.

Dead simple.   Like the 1st half last week we'll defend more compactly but we'll play Conroy central. Fitz isnt playing because I him, it's because Griffiths is too small to defend corners.  But for an added twist he's playing left full back and the more adventurous McDonald will be left mid.

In 442 (or 4411 if Russell drops deeper)

Rohan

Stewart McIntosh Gorman Fitzpatrick

McLaughlin Leitch Conroy McDonald

Ryan  Russell

Fingers crossed for this.

It's not perfect tbh.   The centre of midfield is too lacking in ball winning ability.   Oh to have a Marvin Wilson, Evan Balfour, Kenny Black,  Ross Docherty, Neil MacFarlane, Craig Barr type in there.   

There has never been a good team with a shit midfield.     I've suggested the best I can think of from our squad.   

At some point we will have to take a leap of faith, with a team without boateng, Fitzpatrick. We won't know how good we could be until we try.

Any of one of these Wilson, balfour or black would make life bearable on a Saturday

Much better today, the intensity was a lot better. Much better shape to the team, midfield was a lot more prominent in the game. Front two were excellent. Still far to hesitant and slow at the back, boateng a wee bit better but still a riot. Schmidt words can't describe him.
Although I'm sure Cooper will try and defend him.

On Boateng, when he had the ball for the umpteenth time in the right back position, not one player from the midfield was coming short. There was a massive space right in the centre of the park for an easy pass. To his credit he didn't lump a hopefull ball forward, kept it simple and still held possession. Penalty aside I thought he did well today, could have bagged a couple of goals too bar a brilliant save from the keeper.

Wasn't there today. Delighted we won.

Have seen a couple of things on Twitter which suggests we've a bit more of a team ethic happening, which is a great thing.

We all want to see the team do well. Let's hope this is a turning point.

This is not aimed at one particular poster but there have not been all that many posters since last night. I'm sure that if we had lost there would have been double the posts. Why can't our fans be happy when we win? I'm not suggesting for a minute that we've become a wonder team overnight but I do feel that some credit is due for an improved performance.

22 minutes ago, waysider said:

This is not aimed at one particular poster but there have not been all that many posters since last night. I'm sure that if we had lost there would have been double the posts. Why can't our fans be happy when we win? I'm not suggesting for a minute that we've become a wonder team overnight but I do feel that some credit is due for an improved performance.

Was thinking this myself! thought the performance was excellent yesterday everyone gave 100%, there was some really good football being played and most importantly it was entertaining. Same again every week and I will have got my moneys worth from my season ticket.

As I said on match thread that was a welcome win and a decent performance against a poor QP side. Good solid team performance but I thought the midfield trio of Leitch, Fitzpatrick and Conroy had their best games for a good few weeks. We got back to the passing game that was working for us earlier in the season. The front 2 both played well and it's not often you see a player score a hat trick and not get man of the match but I thought Stewart totally deserved it. I would still like to see him play further forward but he has improved week after week playing at right back. 

The big test for us now is to take that form into the next game at East Fife and pick up back to back wins. One win doesn't make everything great again but it was a step in the right direction.

1 hour ago, waysider said:

This is not aimed at one particular poster but...

Yes it is.   You're f**king obsessed. 

If you want to start something and continue to ruin the thread then feel free.   Your first post on here was a dig at tbm and been more of the same ever since.

You're like a broken record and boring the shit out everyone on here.

That's not fair. I promised LONGlive the KING that I'd lay off you but you're not laying off me. For the record I wasn't thinking about you in that thread as you have always given credit for a good performance. So let's go back to ignoring each other.

Archived