Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

I understand your point and I don't know the cost of the youth system, however, i would imagine the fees brought in by Tony Watt and Liam Coogans (think there was a fee) paid for a good few years worth? Was there not someone else we got a fee for? I could be mistaken

Did Tony Watt's fee not simply fill in the black hole in the club finances/Ballantyne family bank account that had built up over a couple of seasons?

Falkirk seem to have done reasonably well over recent seasons with youths coming through their ranks so there appears to be a way of achieving success with that system. If you measure success by sales and not promotions.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Did Tony Watt's fee not simply fill in the black hole in the club finances/Ballantyne family bank account that had built up over a couple of seasons?

Falkirk seem to have done reasonably well over recent seasons with youths coming through their ranks so there appears to be a way of achieving success with that system. If you measure success by sales and not promotions.

Yes Myb the fees paid did go that way. 

4 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Hamilton have also done well it is achieveable, however it doesnt happen overnight.

On 10/7/2016 at 23:04, Cooper81 said:

Hamilton have also done well it is achieveable, however it doesnt happen overnight.

They invested a lot of money into their youth system (similar to Livingston - money they didn't actually have, as it turned out..), and as you say it takes a while to develop a reputation as a club where quality youngsters want to go. It's quite a high risk speculate to accumulate scenario and given the state of our first team we just aren't in a situation where we can afford to commit to some five year plan and invest money into it, we'd have no club left by the time we saw any benefits. Within the current system - unless the youth team are self-funding through sponsorship etc - then I'd use a system just picking up Premiership cast-offs between 17-19 and giving them one last shot at full-time football.

They invested a lot of money into their youth system (similar to Livingston - money they didn't actually have, as it turned out..), and as you say it takes a while to develop a reputation as a club where quality youngsters want to go. It's quite a high risk speculate to accumulate scenario and given the state of our first team we just aren't in a situation where we can afford to commit to some five year plan and invest money into it, we'd have no club left by the time we saw any benefits. Within the current system - unless the youth team are self-funding through sponsorship etc - then I'd use a system just picking up Premiership cast-offs between 17-19 and giving them one last shot at full-time football.

The best teams at this level are the ones made up of Premiership cast - offs, experienced players/players who know the lower leagues and maybe one or two gems from your own youth system if you're lucky.

3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

The best teams at this level are the ones made up of Premiership cast - offs, experienced players/players who know the lower leagues and maybe one or two gems from your own youth system if you're lucky.

Agree 100%..... If you fill a team with 6 or 7 youngsters you get what we've got. It really is unrealistic to expect anything different.

Having watched Scotland twice in the last few days, I don't feel so bad about Airdrie. We play a similar type  of passing the ball backwards as Scotland and they even gave away a free header at a corner. At least we occasionally have a shot at goal.

3 hours ago, waysider said:

Poster on Stomp saying big changes about to happen at Club. Is anyone ITK or is this the usual wind up?

I'd love the stadium owners to own the whole club (or less likely the club owners to own the stadium).

But whilst Ballantyne and now TW would want to be "bought out" we'll never see that happen.

Be interesting to see if anything happens.   Big Tam likes his appearances on Alba and we have a Q+A allegedly coming up.

Edit to add:

This is my absolute last post.  Sorry to all the idiots whose feathers I ruffled and to those who just couldnt stand me fighting the trolls, moles and thickos on here (copper, DaR, diamond56, etc., you know who you are).   Also to the cool kids who are fighting the good fight...  she who dares, diamond oracle, wee diamond, Pesadilla, benano and chlamydia kid etc., dont let the b*****ds grind you down.

I'd love the stadium owners to own the whole club (or less likely the club owners to own the stadium).

But whilst Ballantyne and now TW would want to be "bought out" we'll never see that happen.

Be interesting to see if anything happens.   Big Tam likes his appearances on Alba and we have a Q+A allegedly coming up.

Edit to add:

This is my absolute last post.  Sorry to all the idiots whose feathers I ruffled and to those who just couldnt stand me fighting the trolls, moles and thickos on here (copper, DaR, diamond56, etc., you know who you are).   Also to the cool kids who are fighting the good fight...  she who dares, diamond oracle, wee diamond, Pesadilla, benano and chlamydia kid etc., dont let the b*****ds grind you down.

Haste ye back TBM

Archived