Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The frustrating thing is most of the players deemed not good enough last season are all doing extremely well at other clubs, either top of league or thereabouts. I said at start of the year that I couldn't see us progressing and I don't see anything to suggest otherwise 9 month down the line. I would Love to be proved wrong but it won't happen. 

You're all over the place here Cooper. Lithgow was offered a deal but chose to go elsewhere. Lister was a good player for us but he wouldn't go full time. Do you seriously think that he would be a better deal for the Club than Russell and Ryan? Besides he does not fit in with how we now want to play. I for one much prefer playing football in the other half to lumping the ball up the middle in the air. I liked Lister but his time has gone.

Anyway, our problems don't relate to strikers.

I said all along we should have kept lithgow. Its quite simple dont sign a player if their not any better than what you have. We have a far stronger midfield and a better fwd line as we have 2 quality strikers where as last season we had 1 quality striker in lister. We let go off 2 full backs oneil and bain.

Chris oneil at no point was offered a deal and i am confident if he was offered deal and he was going to be in the clubs plans he would have signed.

Jamie bain wanted to stay but wasnt offered a good enough deal ( part time deal possibly we could have kept him)

Lithgow wanted to stay.

Crighton im unsure off.

Jimmy lister (part time deal) good chance he would have stayed.

I said at the time we needed to hold on to a core of team only to be told on here they werent good enough. My point at the time and now is were missing lithgow bain oneil and lister and 5 to 6 players we had were good enough but some people were to quick to write them off.

The problem is not that we didn't sign most last season's bog standard squad, that ehm got us to the exact same position that we are in now, but that the club were clearly set on signing Lithgow and Crighton and once they turned us down no adequate replacements had been identified thus leading to players being played out of position, the panic signing of Boateng and the position we're in now.

I'm struggling to see the benefits of full - time training. The same mistakes are being made: defenders not tracking runners or marking their men, being unable to defend set pieces or cross balls, the full backs both bombing forward at the same time and no one covering for them, Ferguson not coming off his line or commanding his area and just a general lack of communication and organisation.
Are the players just individually not good enough to sort out these mistakes? Are they not responding to the instructions, tactics and training of the coaching staff? Are these problems even being worked on? (McBride has clearly identified these issues in post match interviews but from watching them play you wouldn't think so). Who even is Donald Jennow? Why are we not as fit as some part - time sides?

It's inexcusable to keep making the same mistakes when the players are training everyday. Needs to be sorted and quickly if we genuinely want to challenge this season.

I think we should try out a 532 with wingbacks giving Stewart n McDonald more freedom to get forward.

Ferguson

McIntosh Gorman Fitzpatrick

Stewart. McDonald

Leitch Conroy

Brown

Ryan. Russell

That's a decent shout tbf.

Although we're only a handful of games into the season, I'm already pretty worried about this team. We look no better than any of the part timers we've come up against and have had some really poor individual performances.

I'm willing to give Boateng a few more games before I begin the witch hunt, but he has been so poor since he arrived it's unbelievable.

MacDonald looks like he's completely forgotten how to defend.

Stewart, while excellent going forward, still has a lot to learn defensively at RB.

The midfield generally can be chronically slow in moving the ball.

We don't look like we have any depth in the forward area.

Why the f**k has Scullion been brought in? Surely to God our own youngsters (Louden?) can't be any worse than him?

Add to the above our u20s have been gubbed the first two games of the season it's looking pretty bleak at the moment.

I fear that Daly will be released in January to free up a wage to fix our defensive frailties. We should never have been in the position where we've had to gamble on a last minute signing (Boateng), really poor planning on that front. Albeit I understand the circumstances with EWB is likely to have upset the planning process.

Think that's my incoherent ramblings done for today...

After reviewing the highlights on DTV, the defending at all 4 goals we conceded are ridiculous (one was thankfully offside).   Boateng, Fitz and McDonald just defy belief.   

The amount of ballwatching us unbelievable.    

Boateng fails at 2 attempted clearances at the first and gets in the goalie's way at another.   Most times he just stands gawping and helpless.

McDonald's pathetic slip at the first was bad enough but where was he going at 2nd?  He and Fitz have not communicated and both ineffectively gone with same man and left the scorer free.   There was no awareness at all.   

And Fitz has lost the scorer of the 3rd and not challenged.  Yet again failing to open up and deal with the attacker.

Other teams are watching us and are both targetting our pish fullbacks, and easily out-manoeuvering our woeful centre halves.

Before anyone says otherwise our 2 rocketmen from last year were almost as bad (Boateng is unbelievably making me pine for them too).   We're even more weak around them than last year too.   Imagine, if we had Bain and O'Neill at full back now we'd be less vulnerable.

This cycle of suck has to end now.   We must get McIntosh and Gorman back in there,  get a rightback on loan,  Fitzy to LB, and get Stewart into midfield where he can do damage rather than self inflict it.

We need to get bums on seats for the good of the club but that will never happen at this rate.

It's not all bad.  The 20 seconds after the break were a joy to watch.  Shows what we are capable of.   

On 11 September 2016 at 17:46, airdrieman said:

The problem is not that we didn't sign most last season's bog standard squad, that ehm got us to the exact same position that we are in now, but that the club were clearly set on signing Lithgow and Crighton and once they turned us down no adequate replacements had been identified thus leading to players being played out of position, the panic signing of Boateng and the position we're in now.

I'm struggling to see the benefits of full - time training. The same mistakes are being made: defenders not tracking runners or marking their men, being unable to defend set pieces or cross balls, the full backs both bombing forward at the same time and no one covering for them, Ferguson not coming off his line or commanding his area and just a general lack of communication and organisation.
Are the players just individually not good enough to sort out these mistakes? Are they not responding to the instructions, tactics and training of the coaching staff? Are these problems even being worked on? (McBride has clearly identified these issues in post match interviews but from watching them play you wouldn't think so). Who even is Donald Jennow? Why are we not as fit as some part - time sides?

It's inexcusable to keep making the same mistakes when the players are training everyday. Needs to be sorted and quickly if we genuinely want to challenge this season.

The club didn't want Crichton and lithgow, made clear by the departed chief exec. Plus Gorman was already signed up way in advance, that's why he didn't want they 2. So centre halfs were clearly indentified at least 6 months in advance. It's the recruitment side of things that need looked at. Are we going forward as a club? I don't think so personally, it's as if this team is patched together and with no direction in front of it. But of course give them a chance, but how long?

After reviewing the highlights on DTV, the defending at all 4 goals we conceded are ridiculous (one was thankfully offside).   Boateng, Fitz and McDonald just defy belief.   

The amount of ballwatching us unbelievable.    

Boateng fails at 2 attempted clearances at the first and gets in the goalie's way at another.   Most times he just stands gawping and helpless.

McDonald's pathetic slip at the first was bad enough but where was he going at 2nd?  He and Fitz have not communicated and both ineffectively gone with same man and left the scorer free.   There was no awareness at all.   

And Fitz has lost the scorer of the 3rd and not challenged.  Yet again failing to open up and deal with the attacker.

Other teams are watching us and are both targetting our pish fullbacks, and easily out-manoeuvering our woeful centre halves.

Before anyone says otherwise our 2 rocketmen from last year were almost as bad (Boateng is unbelievably making me pine for them too).   We're even more weak around them than last year too.   Imagine, if we had Bain and O'Neill at full back now we'd be less vulnerable.

This cycle of suck has to end now.   We must get McIntosh and Gorman back in there,  get a rightback on loan,  Fitzy to LB, and get Stewart into midfield where he can do damage rather than self inflict it.

We need to get bums on seats for the good of the club but that will never happen at this rate.

It's not all bad.  The 20 seconds after the break were a joy to watch.  Shows what we are capable of.   

Just caught up on the highlights myself - I think the phrase Jesus wept just about covers it....

Gartcairn's u6s are better organised than us just now.  

But somehow our current mess is not reflected glory for Bollan who was killing us for 2 years.

Beggars belief that as a full time team training and supposedly learning from each game you look like headless chickens anytime someone runs at you or crosses a ball....

Do I have confidence that we have the guys in charge that will cut these errors out? 50/50 at the moment.

8 minutes ago, kerrdavidson95 said:

Coogans signs for Fauldhouse Utd.

Former players Jonny Grier, Mickey Wilson, Andy Gilchrist, Kyle Richford, Scott Sally, John Boyle, a few others and the excellent manager Stevie Findlay are all there.   They're in the superleague east.   I watched them a few weeks ago and they're playing well.

Archived