Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

I rate mcintosh just like i rate connor but i just believe sometimes when players are young sometimes its good to bring them in and sometimes take them out when they loss a bit of form. I was surprised mcintosh started before gorman was he carrying injury. The game on tuesday will come in handy maybe try gorman and boetang together.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McBride waited far too long to bring subs on today, would have liked Schmidt on for Russell about 10mins before he brought Schmidt on.

We absolutely gifted them all 4 goals today, defence needs work. Fitz was awful again. It gives me no pleasure to say that about an Airdrie captain but I don't see what he brings.

still, more positive than last year and will get better as time goes on.

I could see the Livi result coming a mile off.  Despite yesterday's result I've liked this season so far and want to see the good football continue.   

However there are obviously some things that aren't quite clicking and we do have some that need improving, ie.,  we have to make less errors in defence (as a team) for starters, defenders who can defend and a better midfield defensive function.   A few areas of weakness include leftback, the whole midfield, and winger.

Scott Stewart for one has started to emerge into the player I thought he was going to be.  He's still only a fraction of that.   I dont think he'll be that at RB either.  I'm already proposing a move forwards for him.

Conroy is a terrific passer of the ball but should he be the midfield anchor or further forwards?

Can Fitzy play midfield at all?

Is Brown up to it against better teams?

Is McDonald a good enough defender?

We needed a game like the Livi one to show us where we're at and where we need to be.   We also need to send a message to swithering fans that this was just a blip (teachable moment) and not another false dawn.

We obviously need to quickly get the defensive side nailed down but IMO without compromising the passing theory.

To start with, I think we need to look at the holding role in midfield and I'd be proposing trying to slot Stewart into that role immediately.    He can win the ball, he's comfy in possession, can provide aerial protection too and he can pass the ball.    Either side I'm looking for more energy and passing, forward runs, etc., and I'm wholly comfy with Daly/Conor to his right and Leitch to his left.   

Conroy and Brown are sharing time as the winger.

Defensively we're obviously still a bit of a bombscare but I'm proposing we temporarily go with Higgins at right back, Boateng and McIntosh/Gorman in the middle and captain Fitztastic at leftback.   Defensively McDonald has been poor and after a game or 2 a decision would need to be taken whether we reintroduce McDonald for more attacking flare or not.

I still don't know if that's perfect or not, I'd be looking for a potential right back, holding role and winger to complement what we have.   Moving the now isolated Faria would no doubt help an awful lot.

Some interesting questions there. Putting Stewart in midfield is worth a try. Brown was the top scorer in the division until yesterday but he had a poor game. Pulled out of a lot of 50/50 balls. Would also not quarrel with trying Fitz at left back.

Two points I would make are that McIntosh has be dropped at least for the present. He isn't up to the physical challenge of centre back at present.

Secondly, Goram has to tell the goalie that he'll allowed to come off his line for crosses.

I really hope the fans stick with it because the Club is trying something worthwhile. The poster who left at halftime yesterday can't consider himself a fan.

Seems to be its only Fitz that's allowed to be singled out. I don't think he did much wrong.

Defence and keeper sold the jerseys. Man of the match ferguson..? His stupid attempted pass caused the third. Seems to be immune from criticism. I think he's still too young to be a no.1. Between him and the 2 centre halves there was a complete lack of communication or someone willing to make a decision causing 2 of the goals.

The passing may be pleasing on the eye and the result was unlucky but the time of the passes in defence needs to be worked on.

15 minutes ago, waysider said:

Some interesting questions there. Putting Stewart in midfield is worth a try. Brown was the top scorer in the division until yesterday but he had a poor game. Pulled out of a lot of 50/50 balls. Would also not quarrel with trying Fitz at left back.

Two points I would make are that McIntosh has be dropped at least for the present. He isn't up to the physical challenge of centre back at present.

Secondly, Goram has to tell the goalie that he'll allowed to come off his line for crosses.

I really hope the fans stick with it because the Club is trying something worthwhile. The poster who left at halftime yesterday can't consider himself a fan.

I can assure you that the poster who left at h/t is a a massive fan who has done more over the years than most,  one of the troops who stood up and continues to.   

Goalie is a work in progress and an asset we need to sell.   McIntosh will do well.   Defence just needs some reorganising and coaching.

22 minutes ago, touchedbymadness said:

I can assure you that the poster who left at h/t is a a massive fan who has done more over the years than most,  one of the troops who stood up and continues to.   

Goalie is a work in progress and an asset we need to sell.   McIntosh will do well.   Defence just needs some reorganising and coaching.

Got to disagree with you on this one TBM McIntosh is never a centre back , as I've said before he's great on the ball but is very poor in the air and not physical enough in the tackle 

1 minute ago, Airdrie10 said:

Got to disagree with you on this one TBM McIntosh is never a centre back , as I've said before he's great on the ball but is very poor in the air and not physical enough in the tackle 

He still had a long way to go and very young.   I think  more than anything it's happened a bit quick for him.    I do like him a lot though. 

As I've said before on many occasions you need 100 games before you can be considered experienced.  This kid has a handful of top team games.  He does need a fair bit of work but he has the tools for the job imo.

Even considering the faults I'd have him before dizzy or dosey any day

He still had a long way to go and very young.   I think  more than anything it's happened a bit quick for him.    I do like him a lot though. 

As I've said before on many occasions you need 100 games before you can be considered experienced.  This kid has a handful of top team games.  He does need a fair bit of work but he has the tools for the job imo.

Even considering the faults I'd have him before dizzy or dosey any day

But if he's not a natural centre half why play him as one. Play him in his natural position and get the best out of him. I think the boy has got a good future in the game but don't waste it by playing him out of position.

I agree with Rennie as Fitzpatrick does seem to attract most of the flack on line. I know we all have favourites who get excused some poor games and others who just don't appeal to many. I once though that about Paul Jack in his early left back days, but when his best position was discovered he converted me. I felt at 2-1 we were back in the game, but the young goalie lost the possession in the lead up to goal 3. Even at 3-2 a draw looked possible so I don't go down the "doom and gloom" route(Yet)  Stranraer will set the kind of games we should be winning as they are weaker than last year(maybe!)

And what has Macdonald done to deserve getting dropped.

Took 2 neutrals along with me who were impressed with "the 2 full backs and number 9". I agree that McDonald was good. Central defence and 'keeper are the issues.
Andy Ryan may score a load in this league but standing in his own too often I felt and I worry that the central defence and keeper will be shifting goals to cancel out his goals!

The score line did flatter Livingston though so not doom and gloom. I think against most opposition Airdrie will be worth a both teams to score and win bet.

And what has Macdonald done to deserve getting dropped.

I wouldn't drop him for next week, however I'd play Fitz at left back against the stronger sides to add a bit more grit at the back.

MacDonald is superb going forward l but not so great defending. More of a wing back imo.

Would maybe be more suited to left midfield role in a 4-4-2.

I wouldn't drop him for next week, however I'd play Fitz at left back against the stronger sides to add a bit more grit at the back.

MacDonald is superb going forward l but not so great defending. More of a wing back imo.

Would maybe be more suited to left midfield role in a 4-4-2.

But he's a natural left back not a left midfield. Fitzpatrick hasn't played that position in ages. Only changes I would make would be Gorman for McIntosh and at a push replace Fitzpatrick with McIntosh. Although when Fitzpatrick not in the team something is missing.

But he's a natural left back not a left midfield. Fitzpatrick hasn't played that position in ages. Only changes I would make would be Gorman for McIntosh and at a push replace Fitzpatrick with McIntosh. Although when Fitzpatrick not in the team something is missing.

And? Fitzpatrick is a natural LB but hasn't played there consistently for years.

He has filled in at LB in the past for us and played at LB at times in preseason. Looks much more comfortable there.

Not happy with the keeper's antics yesterday (or last week). He must get the ball up the park  quicker or, if he must pass it short to a defender, make sure that the defender, a) KNOWS he is going to get the ball passed out to him and, b) that it is safe to do so. Other than that the keeper is good, especially as a shot stopper. 

I don't understand people defending Fitzpatrick by saying he hasn't done much wrong. The question is, what has he done right? For a defensive midfielder, I don't see him winning enough tackles or headers. Also most of his passes were misplaced yesterday, so instead of him breaking up Livi's play, he's breaking down ours. Just because he's the captain doesn't make him free of criticism. I just don't rate him and this isn't just an opinion of a few games, but over a season. 

Archived