Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

1 hour ago, waysider said:

To be honest I,and I'm sure several others, never shared your absolute hatred of those three. I rate Gorman and I think McIntosh is definitely one for the future. However, I think we'll definitely need an old fashioned bruiser of a centre half when we play away to some grounds on a wet winter's day.

I agree with you here. Gorman looks a good defender, he'll be a good player for us this season. McIntosh looks okay, although he just looks like a slightly worse/less experienced version of Lithgow/Crighton to me at the moment, I'm sure he'll improve though. There is no doubt that we lack aggression in the air though, both attacking and defensively. We put in numerous crosses today but with Russell, Ryan and Brown in forward areas we aren't going to win much in the air unless it's a pinpoint cross. Conroy's delivery has also been excellent so far yet we've barely won anything at free-kicks and corners. We scored around 10-15 goals from set-pieces last season, we need to find those goals again this season and I'm not sure who is going to get them. We've lost Lister, Lithgow and Crighton from last season who, whether you liked them or not, would always be a real threat at set-pieces. The only player in that mould so far looks to be McIntosh. Equally, defensively I think we look a bit soft in the air. I still worry that we are going to outplay a lot of teams this season and then get mugged by losing soft goals from set-pieces.

We also need a quality creative midfielder, not seen much of Daly yet so can't really comment, but the boy McLaughlin isn't the standard required in that role. He works hard and is a pest, but he offers nothing creatively or in an attacking sense. A league winning side is going to need far more in there. Overall I'm reasonably optimistic, with what we have just now I think we'll be top half. If we are serious about challenging we need a quality centre midfielder and another solid defender. Either way it's going to be an interesting season.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I agree with you here. Gorman looks a good defender, he'll be a good player for us this season. McIntosh looks okay, although he just looks like a slightly worse/less experienced version of Lithgow/Crighton to me at the moment, I'm sure he'll improve though. There is no doubt that we lack aggression in the air though, both attacking and defensively. We put in numerous crosses today but with Russell, Ryan and Brown in forward areas we aren't going to win much in the air unless it's a pinpoint cross. Conroy's delivery has also been excellent so far yet we've barely won anything at free-kicks and corners. We scored around 10-15 goals from set-pieces last season, we need to find those goals again this season and I'm not sure who is going to get them. We've lost Lister, Lithgow and Crighton from last season who, whether you liked them or not, would always be a real threat at set-pieces. The only player in that mould so far looks to be McIntosh. Equally, defensively I think we look a bit soft in the air. I still worry that we are going to outplay a lot of teams this season and then get mugged by losing soft goals from set-pieces.

We also need a quality creative midfielder, not seen much of Daly yet so can't really comment, but the boy McLaughlin isn't the standard required in that role. He works hard and is a pest, but he offers nothing creatively or in an attacking sense. A league winning side is going to need far more in there. Overall I'm reasonably optimistic, with what we have just now I think we'll be top half. If we are serious about challenging we need a quality centre midfielder and another solid defender. Either way it's going to be an interesting season.

I agree with you that we need a no nonsence expeirenced centre half and ball winning centre mid. A couple of physical players who will make the opposition think twice. I have to disagree in regards to mclaughlin who i actually believe is a creative forward thinking player. The first half today i would give pass marks the 2nd half i wouldnt as we started going long. The first half we kept it simple but effective by passing the ball from one side to the other and mclaughlin was at the heart of it in centre midfield. 

Happy with the performance, first half thought we dominated Rohan not really tested a lot he did make a mistake thankfully it didn't matter in the end.
2 centre halfs looked comfortable thought McDonald had a good game Scotty Stewart looks good going forward made a few decent tackles to.
Thought fitzy was excellent today never stopped running same with conroy who pings a good pass. McLaughlin quite weak can be a threat.
Brown took his goals well very pacey down the wings. Ryan holding the ball up well didn't get a lot of sights at goal tho. Russell looks a threat, quite greedy and slow to release a pass tho.
Overall a good win which was much needed confident we'll do the same on Tuesday.

Good overall performance yesterday look decent good forward and defence coming along. Disagree with others about McLaughlin he had decent game gave the ball away a few times but always willing to try and get it back.

Not sure if Stewart best at RB as he got caught out of position a few times and he looks better going forward.

Squad Update:

Goalkeepers: 

Rohan Ferguson 

Matthew Kerr (App)

Defenders: 

Joe Gorman

Kieran MacDonald

Sean McIntosh**

John Higgins

Dean Cairns (App)

Craig Truesdale (App) 

Connor Bell (App)

Arran Ross (U20)

Midfielders: 

Hugo Faria

Adam Brown

Marc Fitzpatrick*

Scott Stewart*

Murray Louden

Ryan Conroy*

James Daly

Robbie Leighton (App) 

Connor McLaughlin (App)

Calvin Cowie (App)

Forwards: 

Andy Ryan 

Iain Russell**

Kevin Schmidt

Scott Thomson (App) 

Cammy Russell (App)

Ciaran Reilly (U20)

*Can also play defence 

**Can also play midfield 

***Can also play as a forward

****Can play in defence, midfield or as a forward

Looking forward to the game on Tuesday night. A strange feeling. 

Can't really add more to what has already been said as I haven't been at any of the games so far but hopefully, the necessary additions in defence and midfield are made before the start of the season.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Squad Update:

Goalkeepers: 

Rohan Ferguson 

Matthew Kerr (App)

Defenders: 

Joe Gorman

Kieran MacDonald

Sean McIntosh**

John Higgins

Dean Cairns (App)

Craig Truesdale (App) 

Connor Bell (App)

Arran Ross (U20)

Midfielders: 

Hugo Faria

Adam Brown

Marc Fitzpatrick*

Scott Stewart*

Murray Louden

Ryan Conroy*

James Daly

Robbie Leighton (App) 

Connor McLaughlin (App)

Calvin Cowie (App)

Forwards: 

Andy Ryan 

Iain Russell**

Kevin Schmidt

Scott Thomson (App) 

Cammy Russell (App)

Ciaran Reilly (U20)

*Can also play defence 

**Can also play midfield 

***Can also play as a forward

****Can play in defence, midfield or as a forward

Looking forward to the game on Tuesday night. A strange feeling. 

Can't really add more to what has already been said as I haven't been at any of the games so far but hopefully, the necessary additions in defence and midfield are made before the start of the season.

Ryan Conroy can't play defence

Highlights on site now dont change much thinking from yesterday,  2 great finishes, terrible blunder from goalie, coulda got more, Stenny defence was a shambles 1st half,  left back sold the jerseys at 1st,  diddy left sided CB  was Lithgowesque.  He played Russell on at the 2nd disallowed effort.

Massive improvement on last season,  we'll be more fluid with more games and a bit of tightening up defensively.   Noticeable that it's McBride and Goram who are doing the communicating off the bench.  

Major concern is 3 of starting XI wearing "Alice Bands".

Anyone any idea how much queens park are charging for Tuesday night. Confident we will win again providing we play the passing game like we did for the first half on Saturday. Crowd on Saturday was a bit dissapointing. Stenny didn't bring very many fans we actually took more fans to qos. I wouldnt expect a big crowd from stenny but on Saturday away support was really low.

All sounding positive from the manager, an improved performance following a below par performance mid week and the possibility of 1 or 2 new faces......

I can't wait for the new season to start..............

Mcbride saying for the past 6 weeks we're going to sign a centre half....

In a way I'm glad it's taking time as it shows we are not signing people just for the sake of making up numbers but the longer this goes on, trying to prevent this could actually cause us to do what is trying to be avoided

And?

Do we "desperately" need one?  The 2 we have are doing well, he said we've missed out on some targets.  McIntosh is still a bit raw but he's been getting some good experience in the meantime till McBride gets one in.     It'll take better than Dizzy or Dosey to displace him.

You're the worst troll on here since your last incarnation.

Archived