Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

18 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Always thought he had the heart of a Gnat, or in simple terms, a bit of a shitebag!

We won 3 and drew 1 of his 5 starts last season.   I thought he did well when he played and we looked better with him, and his pace, in the team.    Can't blame anyone who was f**ked about by our 1st 2 shitey mismanagers last season.  I ways felt he wasn't getting a chance.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mcaleer in his first spell did very well in his 2nd spell i expected more of the same but whatever reason he hardly featured. He has the ability and i think all things considering he is very lucky to get a full time club. I Hope he does well and takes his opportunity. Very much looking forward to thistle match and the qos match.

We won 3 and drew 1 of his 5 starts last season.   I thought he did well when he played and we looked better with him, and his pace, in the team.    Can't blame anyone who was f**ked about by our 1st 2 shitey mismanagers last season.  I ways felt he wasn't getting a chance.

Wasn't really given a chance at East Fife either he had a few injuries as well that didn't help. Liked him as a player though.

50 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Stats sometimes can be misleading, but a lucky boy to get another crack at the whip at full time after being rejected by 2 part time teams. 

They can be Kenny.   How many times last season did we wonder how he'd been left out?   No idea what went on at the club at times but there was obviously warring factions and guys like him were piggy in the middle.

Good luck to him.

I thought it might be something like that but was Gorman not playing in Scotland relatively recently?

The FA of the country you play in holds your registration. Schmidt's last club was in Scotland, Gorman's was in England and Daly's was in Ireland.

It's the eve of the new season and there's a lot to look forward to in my opinion.  

I've obviously stated what I think of the new manager already, he seems to a no-nosense type who likes to see the game played right.

I'm  not 100% convinced he has all of the tools yet to do the job the way he wants.   2 positions stand out for me as in need for strengthening at present, and it's fairly obvious, a good centre back and a midfield destroyer who can both anchor the midfield and help play out - ie, a carbon copy of McBride.

I dont think the Partick game will be the tell all or not.   Whether we win or lose it's about the development of this youngish squad into a team.   For me I'm looking on Friday for a fighting spirit from these players and for the manager to be able to assess and address any weaknesses before the league starts.  I'm hoping McIntosh develops into a young Alan Hansen immediately and really desperate for capt Marvellous to prove me wrong,   I didn't see anything from him or the Portugeezer in the friendlies to suggest they're the answer in midfield.    

Will Daly be fit?   He came off at h/t at Annan and didn't start v. St Mirren.   Will Conroy be the holding mid, even though his strengths were in driving us forward and linking with forwards.   We missed that at Annan and were softer in the middle.    

2x potential solutions to midfield could be to turn Scott Stewart into the midfield anchor, or, utilising the promising McLaughlin in the left sided playmaker role if the chemistry isn't right with the Daly/Conroy/Fitz trio.  

Current squad:

Gk:   Rohan  (backed by 2x 20s lads)

Def:  Stewart, McIntosh, Gorman, McDonald (Higgins, TBA)

Mid:   Daly, Conroy, McLaughlin (Faria, Fitz)

Winger:   Brown (Loudon)

Strikers:  Ryan, Russell (Schmidt)

20 minutes ago, touchedbymadness said:

It's the eve of the new season and there's a lot to look forward to in my opinion.  

I've obviously stated what I think of the new manager already, he seems to a no-nosense type who likes to see the game played right.

I'm  not 100% convinced he has all of the tools yet to do the job the way he wants.   2 positions stand out for me as in need for strengthening at present, and it's fairly obvious, a good centre back and a midfield destroyer who can both anchor the midfield and help play out - ie, a carbon copy of McBride.

I dont think the Partick game will be the tell all or not.   Whether we win or lose it's about the development of this youngish squad into a team.   For me I'm looking on Friday for a fighting spirit from these players and for the manager to be able to assess and address any weaknesses before the league starts.  I'm hoping McIntosh develops into a young Alan Hansen immediately and really desperate for capt Marvellous to prove me wrong,   I didn't see anything from him or the Portugeezer in the friendlies to suggest they're the answer in midfield.    

Will Daly be fit?   He came off at h/t at Annan and didn't start v. St Mirren.   Will Conroy be the holding mid, even though his strengths were in driving us forward and linking with forwards.   We missed that at Annan and were softer in the middle.    

2x potential solutions to midfield could be to turn Scott Stewart into the midfield anchor, or, utilising the promising McLaughlin in the left sided playmaker role if the chemistry isn't right with the Daly/Conroy/Fitz trio.  

Current squad:

Gk:   Rohan  (backed by 2x 20s lads)

Def:  Stewart, McIntosh, Gorman, McDonald (Higgins, TBA)

Mid:   Daly, Conroy, Fitz(mcglaughlin +Faria)

Winger:   Brown (Loudon)

Strikers:  Ryan, Russell (Schmidt)

Tbh that's the way I think it will be

5 minutes ago, RAPID BENANO said:

Tbh that's the way I think it will be

I think it will be that way too RB but I like to be controvertial,  even though I think it starts that way,   I think it will end up nearer my way if results don't go our way.    

One thing I'm not seeing just now is Faria and Fitz in the same midfield.   That cannot be a bad thing?

It certainly will be interesting to see if we have discovered a jewel in the crown.

Could it be: 

McIntosh - never seen him play but it seems the popular view is that he is classy but may lack some aggression at centre back.

Daly - Looks to have a good attitude and hoping to score 10 goals.

Adam Brown - Despite being anonymous last season it seems lot of people rate him with him over his past injury issues.

Schmidt -   Who knows.

Ryan - To score 20 goals this season.

Others such as Russell and Conroy are older and i suppose you pretty much know what you are going to get. Given the level they are now at they should contribute a lot.

I'm with the Manager, League cup section is pre season work but lets hope we can get off to a good league start.

3 hours ago, RAPID BENANO said:
42 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

It certainly will be interesting to see if we have discovered a jewel in the crown.

Could it be: 

McIntosh - never seen him play but it seems the popular view is that he is classy but may lack some aggression at centre back.

He misplaced a few passes last week, i was sure it was nerves, and really windy conditions.  

Daly - Looks to have a good attitude and hoping to score 10 goals.

Yeah, he could be a livewire

Adam Brown - Despite being anonymous last season it seems lot of people rate him with him over his past injury issues.

Brown's role may well be in supressing the attacking FB of the opposition.   He works hard.   If he can supply a better final ball he could be it.

Schmidt -   Who knows.

Could be a wildcard but expecting him to be off the bench option  

Ryan - To score 20 goals this season.

Ryan and Russell have both potential to do that.   Ryan really looks a player tbh

Archived