Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the Archibald experiment then funding for Sandy Stewart's team collapsed during 2005, we've been on a downward spiral on and off the pitch.

Disappointing results whilst trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, far too long in the seaside league, and years of Ballantyne's managed decline has seen our crowds plummet to Albion Rovers levels.

We now have a guy who said he'd give us full time football and he's delivered.   He said he wanted us back in Division 1 (cant call it the feckin championship - ridiculous name), we need to cut him some slack and let him get on with it.   Dougy and the Polish named chick are working hard off the pitch.

Actions speak louder than words.  We might not be perfect but we're in a goodish place.  We need to back this effort because if we dont it might be a long time before we see another.

3 hours ago, touchedbymadness said:

Actions speak louder than words.  We might not be perfect but we're in a goodish place.  We need to back this effort because if we dont it might be a long time before we see another.

Agreed, lets just hope TW is in it for the long hall and doesn't get bored if the results fail to come right away.

Big post....

I'll drink to that.

This year will see my self imposed hiatus lifted since the Dumbarton play off shambles. I realised there was no point flogging a dead horse, why pay for the potential of entertainment when the people running the show weren't interested.

This year see's massive changes not only on the park, but there seems a willingness off of it to actually rope people and businesses in to be "a part" of this new Airdrie experience.

Like it or not, this takes time, but there's already enough rumblings going on to warrant a bit of support towards this new leader and his revolution.

I'll drink to that.

This year will see my self imposed hiatus lifted since the Dumbarton play off shambles. I realised there was no point flogging a dead horse, why pay for the potential of entertainment when the people running the show weren't interested.

This year see's massive changes not only on the park, but there seems a willingness off of it to actually rope people and businesses in to be "a part" of this new Airdrie experience.

Like it or not, this takes time, but there's already enough rumblings going on to warrant a bit of support towards this new leader and his revolution.

1468243445161.jpg.88a69e0bf449f190f23660

Yep.

Airdrie didn't become a diddy team overnight, and we won't get back to our pre-financial meltdown level overnight either.  It'll take time, but I'm feeling confident that we're at least heading in the right direction now. 

Looking forward to this Q&A tonight, mcbride seems like a good guy and the right guy to take us forward this season while Eddie is still recuperating.
My only fear is that Joe Gorman will probably be the hot topic of tonight, I'm sure Iain King will be mentioned as well!

I'm unable to attend tonight. Tom will probably tell you that Gorman deserves a 2nd chance. And it will be interesting to see what he has to say about King. Was speaking to someone at the weekend who said he was getting too big for his boots. Allegedly he was trying to undermine the head of the Academy Director and wanted to become involved in the running of the academy himself. He also allegedly used money, or wanted to use money that had been ring fenced for the academy to put Hugo through his coaching badges.

All a bit controversial tbh.   King business is best left  unsaid now.   He's gone, TW has woken up to him, good riddance.

I don't like what Gorman did, just like I didn't like what Adam did either.    Both were stupid and both actions show a lack of good thinking.   Adam has made a lot of stupid choices since and his career has bombed.   Gorman needs to work hard to ensure his doesnt either.   But can we fans really pontificate given our own story?  We cant have it both ways,  he made a stupid mistake years ago and paid for it.   It's  not like he w****d himself out a car window in Airdrie.  If he repeats that shite anywhere in future he should be sacked immediately though.

Gorman actually looks a decent player btw.   We really do need to let the baggage go and support the new regime wholeheartedly

18 Rohan

20 Higgins

21 Gorman

19 McIntosh

22 McDonald

30 Fitzpatrick

33 Faria (28 in Scottish years)

20 Stewart

21 Daly

29 Conroy

21 Brown

19 Loudon

21 Ryan

33 Russell

That's the ages of the 14 official site players listed.   We were told 16 1st team players, so presuming 2 still to be signed?

News on s/t and the players photo'd in new under armour strips.  

Just in time for Q+A

3 hours ago, David_86 said:

I also Cant make tonight unfortunately, but if someone could ask about whether we are due compensation or not for watt and cadden that would be super.

I asked this a few weeks ago and the reply was that they are registered with the sfa  and playing for livi's first team ....so looks like they coughed up the cash 

13 minutes ago, Diamondatheart said:

I asked this a few weeks ago and the reply was that they are registered with the sfa  and playing for livi's first team ....so looks like they coughed up the cash 

Gow was still registered for Falkirk before they coughed up the cash for him. No doubt it will go to tribunal in which we"ll get pennies for.

On to tonight, its hard not to like wotherspoons plans. He emphasised how much he wants Airdrie to play "fitbaw",He talks a good game.  Kevin Mcbride came across well also as he was talking about this season being all about attack. They were saying every player they sign will be championship quality. Boy that scored two against us at annan... Kevin Schmidt? is expected to sign. He is very aware we need a centre back. Regarding ian king he simply said it was to cut out the middle man, the relationship between both had run course.pretty much sums up the night 

Archived