Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Prunty never ever supported Airdrie.

First I heard Cox was an Airdrie supporter was his missus posting on here how he was living the dream. Now I find out this boy Russell supports us? For such a limited fan base it would appear our young aspiring footballers seem to do alright....

So, assuming your knowledge about Prunty is correct and that someone actually made the claim that he grew up an Airdrie supporter, that's 1 out of 3 to confirm your hypothesis.

In the case of Russell, I think this tweet is reasonable proof of his Airdrie-supporting credentials.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russell did put a pic of him and his family in Airdrie tops at an Airdrie game from I can only guess is in the late 80's or early 90's on his twitter account, could just be a hype job though 

Looks like the Celtic cup final.

Prunty never ever supported Airdrie.

First I heard Cox was an Airdrie supporter was his missus posting on here how he was living the dream. Now I find out this boy Russell supports us? For such a limited fan base it would appear our young aspiring footballers seem to do alright....

Ibrox season tickets too dear again?

So, assuming your knowledge about Prunty is correct and that someone actually made the claim that he grew up an Airdrie supporter, that's 1 out of 3 to confirm your hypothesis.

In the case of Russell, I think this tweet is reasonable proof of his Airdrie-supporting credentials.

I've no idea about Cox or Russell's allegiances as children other than what I've read on here. I just find it surprising that so many professional footballers apparently support us- when very few others in the town do.

And that's not a criticism of Prunty or Cox either because they gave more in an Airdrie jersey (on and off the park in Prunty's case) then anyone in recent times. I just find the desperate clamour to label signings as Airdrie "diehards" a but cringey.

I've no idea about Cox or Russell's allegiances as children other than what I've read on here. I just find it surprising that so many professional footballers apparently support us- when very few others in the town do.

And that's not a criticism of Prunty or Cox either because they gave more in an Airdrie jersey (on and off the park in Prunty's case) then anyone in recent times. I just find the desperate clamour to label signings as Airdrie "diehards" a but cringey.

Or maybe, in Russell's case, the club is able to sign a player of a good standard who wouldn't have otherwise come to us.  I see it as a positive.

I've absolutely no opinion on any of our new signings as I've no knowledge of any players in Scottish lower league football unless they've played with us- let alone background knowledge of what team they supposedly support.

We are becoming the Celtic of the lower league where every signing seems to have to pretend to have always supported us as a boy in order to endear themselves- first Prunty, then we heard last season Cox was an Airdrie supporter now this boy Russel?

Neil Parry not an Airdrie fan as well, or have I made that up?

I've been following Iain Russell on Twitter for a while, because of his support for Airdrie. So unless someone is shit hot at Photoshop and has a crystal ball I believe he always was a fan.

Neil Parry was too, photo of him as a mascot at the old Broomfield.

You also need to remember that our fanbase was a bit larger twenty+ years ago when these guys were kids.  Our home attendances are, what?, a little over half what they were then. It's not unlikely that the larger fanbase would have some football-daft local boys that went on to make it at lower-league level.  

Also, how about Scott Stewart?  I guess he must have been to see his dad play for us once or twice.

Anyway, it's not really that important.  If they are Airdrie fans (or were then they younger) that's nice, and contributes to the idea of the club as part of the local community, and to the goal of having local players.  It helps to get something of a bond between the fans and the players, and why wouldn't we be happy if a young Airdrie fan goes on to do well for Airdrie?  But at the end of the day it's what they can do in an Airdrie shirt now that matters, not whether they wore one when they were 12.

Aye the Eastons were proper Airdrie fans. John Rankin was a Rangers fan.

Taken from the Sun (after the 6-2 game)

Rankin, who glided through a static back line before slotting the 17th-minute opener from a narrow angle, said: “My downstairs neighbour’s brother ran the ticket office at Broomfield, so he used to sort it for me to get into games as a kid. When the club moved to Broadwood, I went with them as a ballboy. These were happy days and I’ve lots of happy memories. I saw Pierre Van Hooijdonk score the winner in the 1995 Cup Final. It’s amazing to imagine Airdrie playing in occasions like that.

“I missed out seeing the new club because by then I’d moved down south, but the place still means a lot ot me — even if I’ll get pelters for this result.â€

Nine apprentices have signed up for two years : http://airdriefc.com/news/2016/05/apprentices

Matthew Kerr - Goalkeeper

Craig Truesdale - Defender

Conor Bell - Defender

Dean Cairns - Defender

Calvin Cowie - Midfielder

Robbie Leighton - Midfielder*

Conor McLaughlin - Midfielder*

Scott Thomson - Forward

Cammy Russell - Forward

Came on as a late sub for the first team in the last game of the season vs. Ayr United, also unused sub for the first team vs. Dunfermline in the second last game of the season.

Taken from the Sun (after the 6-2 game)

Rankin, who glided through a static back line before slotting the 17th-minute opener from a narrow angle, said: “My downstairs neighbour’s brother ran the ticket office at Broomfield, so he used to sort it for me to get into games as a kid. When the club moved to Broadwood, I went with them as a ballboy. These were happy days and I’ve lots of happy memories. I saw Pierre Van Hooijdonk score the winner in the 1995 Cup Final. It’s amazing to imagine Airdrie playing in occasions like that.

“I missed out seeing the new club because by then I’d moved down south, but the place still means a lot ot me — even if I’ll get pelters for this result.â€

Plenty of Rangers fans could tell similar stories about old firm. He was 100% a Rangers fan, even if he did have a soft spot for airdrie.

Plenty of Rangers fans could tell similar stories about old firm. He was 100% a Rangers fan, even if he did have a soft spot for airdrie.

Fair enough.

Good news about the youngsters. Heard stories of other clubs abandoning theirs completely, nice to see the polar opposite here.

Archived