Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Why?
His legs might not last 2 years but you still have to pay him.

Started games for us but rarely lasted 90 mins.

In saying that he will run for 70 mins give 100% and most of all get you a goal.

You will like him as a player and as a man.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See on the one hand fans are saying get it up all the negative posts on here get a grip TBM and others but I think the mass hysteria over the signing of Russell is no better. Aye we have signed a decent player and he should do well but ffs get a grip and stop the love in before he has even kicked a ball for us. Folk acting like we have signed a messi-esque player.

Why?
His legs might not last 2 years but you still have to pay him.

Started games for us but rarely lasted 90 mins.

In saying that he will run for 70 mins give 100% and most of all get you a goal.

You will like him as a player and as a man.

I don't think here has been any mass hysteria at all. If anything it's been a reaction to the constant negativity, folk having a snipe at the owner for daring to try something different and having different views on players to them.

We have signed a player proven at our level and in fact the level above. It's a positive move and should be viewed as such.

And he's an Airdrie fan, what's not to like?

To bring things back down to earth we're still looking for about 7 players and not all of them will have the Airdrie connection that Russell has.

Having said that we now have 2 good forwards. I doubt if any team in the division will be better than us in that department.

So....we need a Fraser, Gow or even Falkingham type. And therein lies the problem. We probably cant afford such a player and if we do pay out, where does it leave us long term? Do we have any capability in the youth ranks?

So....we need a Fraser, Gow or even Falkingham type. And therein lies the problem. We probably cant afford such a player and if we do pay out, where does it leave us long term? Do we have any capability in the youth ranks?

We certainly need something creative in midfield unless we're going to be humping long balls, and at least two or three good defenders.

Long way to go.

To bring things back down to earth we're still looking for about 7 players and not all of them will have the Airdrie connection that Russell has.

Having said that we now have 2 good forwards. I doubt if any team in the division will be better than us in that department.

Despite a cacophony of derision from the happy clappy types, plus 3 pages of gibberish from the enlighted one, your post hits the nail firmly on the head.

We have the makings of a title winning forward line so far. The next major piece will be really interesting.

Pissing myself at the claims of negativety if they're aimed at me. I'd argue I was the most positive on here, want us to be the best team possible but if sitting back like a daf or goodwin and just cheering for every move regardless is positive I guess I can only bow to your superiorness chaps.

Despite a cacophony of derision from the happy clappy types, plus 3 pages of gibberish from the enlighted one, your post hits the nail firmly on the head.

We have the makings of a title winning forward line so far. The next major piece will be really interesting.

Pissing myself at the claims of negativety if they're aimed at me. I'd argue I was the most positive on here, want us to be the best team possible but if sitting back like a daf or goodwin and just cheering for every move regardless is positive I guess I can only bow to your superiorness chaps.

Excellent.  you got to say happy clappy again.  Laughing with you, honestly

Excellent.  you got to say happy clappy again.  Laughing with you, honestly

but you don't care because you are so together?  

I don't get it,   we sign a couple of, hopefully, good players and suddenly all of the "vanilla" fans are being extremely passive aggressive.  

End of the day we all want the same thing, don't we?    A thriving team and a healthier fan base?   

Another 7 players (at least) still to bring in. Most important is a creative midfielder. Russell and Ryan are an excellent strike force but they won't score if they don't get service. 

Need: 

Creative midfielder 

Centre - half 

Right - back  

Winger (x2) 

And then another two. I would say another midfielder but that seems unlikely given the depth we already have there. Most likely another defender and possibly Coogans if the rumours are anything to go by.

Despite being in his 30's, Iain Russell should be a brilliant signing for Airdrie.

As with all forwards, he'll need good midfielders, but he's still easily good enough to get 20 goals a season at that level.

I'd have been delighted if we'd signed him for this coming season in the Championship, put it that way.

Another 7 players (at least) still to bring in. Most important is a creative midfielder. Russell and Ryan are an excellent strike force but they won't score if they don't get service. 

Need: 

Creative midfielder 

Centre - half 

Right - back  

Winger (x2) 

And then another two. I would say another midfielder but that seems unlikely given the depth we already have there. Most likely another defender and possibly Coogans if the rumours are anything to go by.

Think you could be right with the two defenders, a creative mid, and maybe one winger but not two given Stewart or Brown could fill this role. If we sign Coogans as well that leaves us with 2 places left in the squad, which I think will be used for more 2 defenders, which wold give you 1 GK, 6 Defenders, 6, Midfielders, and 3 strikers. Anyone know what positions the apprentices we have signed up play? I know Reilly is a striker but other than not sure what position the rest play.

The young 20's goalkeeper is signed up but I don't know if he's on a full time deal. You'll probably find the 20's outwith the ones signed full time will be registered to play for the 1st team as well if we needed them on a pay as you play basis.

Archived