The Scottish Cringe

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The grief-wallowing thing is a good shout.

Public mourning, particularly for someone or people you've never met is awful. It does seem to be a particularly Glaswegian problem, admittedly.

I blame the Old Firm, Janey Godley and Rosie Kane.

Glasgow and the surrounding area is becoming worse than Merseyside for tacky displays of public misery.

Again, the whole "whae's like us?" attitude of Glasgow is dreadful as well.

From an outside view, the greatest cringe is where you see a Celtic top amongst a giant pile of Rangers merchandise (or vice versa), somebody evidently thinking "look at me, I put a sporting rivalry to once side for a few days". Urgh.

Becoming the first country ever to have the chance to wins it independence without having to embark on a war and shitting it

Simply not true, crete voted overwhelmingly to unite with Greece. I think austria may have voted to join some sort of greater Germany as well but I don't think that worked out to good! It always makes me cringe seeing people state "facts" that are anything but facts.

Yeah the old firm stuff is absolute cringe, having these sort of attitudes towards people who live in the same city as you is absolute nonsense in modern day Britain. 

The grief mongering is strange, signs hanging up saying "Glasgow is sorry" and even mourners going out of the city where the girls body was found is just so very creepy.  

Old Firm fans wanting a medal for not killing each other really gets on my wick.

"Ma wee Declan is a sellick fan and his wee mate Billy is a Rangers fan and they get oan great wae each other. Pyoor brilliant so it is"

I don't think the drinking comes down as Scottish cringe - it is more of a western civilisation social problem at large.

I find certain Glasgweigans embrace the mentality that certain things can only happen there and that their city is like no other.

Found the reaction when that poor Irish girl was murdered there last year quite cringe as well, as if the entire city was collectively in mourning over it, very odd behaviour.

what happened to the lassie was tragic but this attitude of overly caring Glasgow has accelerated in the last 5 years or so , f**k knows why because ten years ago or so teenagers stabbing each other over some territory in whatever  part of the city they came from was relatively common behaviour amongst some of the teenage generation and every now and then one of these would end up fatal and never did any of these result in a mass outpouring of grief , my reason behind it is just simply the increased use of social media giving a higher platform to the student/west end "look at me , I really care please like me " types which seems to have thrived over the last three to five years . and I genuinely don't think it is the "normal" Glasgow population who is guilty of it but instead the studenty/social warriors/ arty west end types who are responsible for it

here is hoping the return of us and celtic kicking f**k out of each other 4 times a year brings us back to a bit of normality

Regarding the inventing everything theory Frankie Boyle summed it up brilliantly once

"I just think we're a nation of bullshitters....Motown? Aye that was us!"

:lol:

Being banned from and returning to football forums, at one point having multiple accounts on the go and conversing with yourself.

Enjoy your latest ban, Magee.

I feel I should point out my last sentence was tongue in cheek in the previous post before someone inevitably loses their shit

I agree with the rest of your post though.

what happened to the lassie was tragic but this attitude of overly caring Glasgow has accelerated in the last 5 years or so , f**k knows why because ten years ago or so teenagers stabbing each other over some territory in whatever part of the city they came from was relatively common behaviour amongst some of the teenage generation and every now and then one of these would end up fatal and never did any of these result in a mass outpouring of grief , my reason behind it is just simply the increased use of social media giving a higher platform to the student/west end "look at me , I really care please like me " types which seems to have thrived over the last three to five years . and I genuinely don't think it is the "normal" Glasgow population who is guilty of it but instead the studenty/social warriors/ arty west end types who are responsible for it

here is hoping the return of us and celtic kicking f**k out of each other 4 times a year brings us back to a bit of normality

The Clutha and bin lorry incidents exacerbated this.

what happened to the lassie was tragic but this attitude of overly caring Glasgow has accelerated in the last 5 years or so , f**k knows why because ten years ago or so teenagers stabbing each other over some territory in whatever part of the city they came from was relatively common behaviour amongst some of the teenage generation and every now and then one of these would end up fatal and never did any of these result in a mass outpouring of grief , my reason behind it is just simply the increased use of social media giving a higher platform to the student/west end "look at me , I really care please like me " types which seems to have thrived over the last three to five years . and I genuinely don't think it is the "normal" Glasgow population who is guilty of it but instead the studenty/social warriors/ arty west end types who are responsible for it

I think the modern term for it is 'virtue signalling'.

Good post though.

The Clutha and bin lorry incidents exacerbated this.

Don't think so myself, just think as f_b says its down to the social media that surrounded it and the fact she was staying in the west end. That case got more attention than the Paige Doherty murder from the masses though. 

I'm not sure social media can entirely be blamed.  I remember around the time of the Soham murders people left teddies and candles outside Inverness town house as some sort of memorial, bizarre behaviour.  When a little girl was murdered by her stepfather a mile or two from that exact spot a few months later - nothing.  

Charlie brooks narrowed the changing moment in regards to this sort of behaviour to being the death of Diana and the publics reaction almost being a case of who can grieve the most , the media played the pivotal role in that aspect but nowadays social media is the main tool

Something I also found cringey , and forgive me as her leadership was way before my time , so maybe I don't have the best knowledge of her time in power , although I understand enough to know it was covered in controversy and she sure pished a lot of people off but the street party carry on following thatchers death was a bit cringey in my eyes more so by the ones you could see who were of a similar age to me and had no personal experience of other time in power , fair enough if you were alive and experienced what she done and so on and felt your reason for such hatred was justified then by all means do as you please , but most of it just seemed like bandwagon jumping by my generation

Charlie brooks narrowed the changing moment in regards to this sort of behaviour to being the death of Diana and the publics reaction almost being a case of who can grieve the most , the media played the pivotal role in that aspect but nowadays social media is the main tool

Something I also found cringey , and forgive me as her leadership was way before my time , so maybe I don't have the best knowledge of her time in power , although I understand enough to know it was covered in controversy and she sure pished a lot of people off but the street party carry on following thatchers death was a bit cringey in my eyes more so by the ones you could see who were of a similar age to me and had no personal experience of other time in power , fair enough if you were alive and experienced what she done and so on and felt your reason for such hatred was justified then by all means do as you please , but most of it just seemed like bandwagon jumping by my generation

Wow - an anthropologist and she still managed to give a devilish turn as Janine in Eastenders. Ms Brooks deserves more recognition IMO.

The Parrott was scary as f**k.

Scottish bars abroad are cringy. Why would someone go on holiday to get away from the shit here only to frequent a pub full of old football tops and tartan called braveheart or something just as shit for the duration of their holiday.

Almost but not quite as boak inducing as "Irish" bars, absolutely refuse to set foot in one of these shitey, fake pubs.

Archived