The Scottish Cringe

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlie brooks narrowed the changing moment in regards to this sort of behaviour to being the death of Diana and the publics reaction almost being a case of who can grieve the most , the media played the pivotal role in that aspect but nowadays social media is the main tool

Something I also found cringey , and forgive me as her leadership was way before my time , so maybe I don't have the best knowledge of her time in power , although I understand enough to know it was covered in controversy and she sure pished a lot of people off but the street party carry on following thatchers death was a bit cringey in my eyes more so by the ones you could see who were of a similar age to me and had no personal experience of other time in power , fair enough if you were alive and experienced what she done and so on and felt your reason for such hatred was justified then by all means do as you please , but most of it just seemed like bandwagon jumping by my generation

I think the death of Diana was definitely the key moment in terms of making grief a popular competition in the UK. The manner of her death, the way the press presented her and the subsequent Elton John-a-thon that followed with Candle in the Wind being the "Must be seen buying it" accessory of the year really brought out the worst in a large sector of feckless, socially inept, wannabe do gooder c***s. It turned grieving from something private into something that you had to do publicly and obviously in order for it to have meaning.

The Thatcher thing I can understand to an extent. She was the figurehead of a government that dismantled heavy industry in the UK and set about destroying the sense of community it brought to many places, as well as getting rid of student grants. She gets the blame for turning many villages, towns and cities into hopeless wastelands that are populated by 20 and 30 somethings who are now loaded with debt and useless degrees and who see their only employment prospects as being call centre or retail work. Sure, plenty of that would have happened without her and her government being elected, but it was her government who overseen it and as a result she is naturally the target of much hatred from the group who are being shat on as a result.

Almost but not quite as boak inducing as "Irish" bars, absolutely refuse to set foot in one of these shitey, fake pubs.

There is a pub in benidorm called the tartan shamrock which as you can imagine is a scottish Irish themed bar .

There is a pub in benidorm called the tartan shamrock which as you can imagine is a scottish Irish themed bar .

I have a friend here who owns two "Celtic(Hard C, essentially an excuse to throw parites on St Patricks day and St Andrews day...)" bars. While I would generally go out of my way to avoid establishments of that manner when abroad, I don't mind drinking there when out for a pint. Partly because Swiss pubs are generally terrible places to drink, and partly because although it's a sterotypical Scottish/Irish theme bar to look at, you don't put up with the type of person who would usually drink in that sort of establishment in the likes of Benidorm or Tenerife.

I think the death of Diana was definitely the key moment in terms of making grief a popular competition in the UK. The manner of her death, the way the press presented her and the subsequent Elton John-a-thon that followed with Candle in the Wind being the "Must be seen buying it" accessory of the year really brought out the worst in a large sector of feckless, socially inept, wannabe do gooder c***s. It turned grieving from something private into something that you had to do publicly and obviously in order for it to have meaning.

The Thatcher thing I can understand to an extent. She was the figurehead of a government that dismantled heavy industry in the UK and set about destroying the sense of community it brought to many places, as well as getting rid of student grants. She gets the blame for turning many villages, towns and cities into hopeless wastelands that are populated by 20 and 30 somethings who are now loaded with debt and useless degrees and who see their only employment prospects as being call centre or retail work. Sure, plenty of that would have happened without her and her government being elected, but it was her government who overseen it and as a result she is naturally the target of much hatred from the group who are being shat on as a result.

Elton-john a thon is one of the greatest things I have seen written on here haha

In regards to thatcher as I said , before my time so my experience is only what I have read and heard from older family members , I just couldn't get my head round the idea of going out to publicly celebrate someone's death but obviously some see it as justified . As I said I just found it a tad cringeworthy and it was more so the ones who felt the need to do so because it was the bandwagon to do at the time without actually having any experience or idea of what went on under her leadership

I have a friend here who owns two "Celtic(Hard C, essentially an excuse to throw parites on St Patricks day and St Andrews day...)" bars. While I would generally go out of my way to avoid establishments of that manner when abroad, I don't mind drinking there when out for a pint. Partly because Swiss pubs are generally terrible places to drink, and partly because although it's a sterotypical Scottish/Irish theme bar to look at, you don't put up with the type of person who would usually drink in that sort of establishment in the likes of Benidorm or Tenerife.

From what I have heard the one in benidorm does try to sway itself away from being regarded as a selik only pub and tries to remain open to all to be fair to them and has pictures of various punters in different team shirts including rangers and other scottish teams , however whenever I am in a resort the last place I want to be is a scottish or Irish pub so I have never been in it personally to clarify this

Elton-john a thon is one of the greatest things I have seen written on here haha

In regards to thatcher as I said , before my time so my experience is only what I have read and heard from older family members , I just couldn't get my head round the idea of going out to publicly celebrate someone's death but obviously some see it as justified . As I said I just found it a tad cringeworthy and it was more so the ones who felt the need to do so because it was the bandwagon to do at the time without actually having any experience or idea of what went on under her leadership

There was a definite "Look at us, we're pure dead edgy" about a lot of the folk who gathered at George Square when Thatcher croaked it. I was delighted to see her go, mostly for what she represented, and I did crack a few jokes on Facebook and the like, but it never crossed my mind to look out the party hat and get myself on the news. Too many are caught up in the cult of celebrity and the need to be known for something.

Casual dress for this wedding, was it?

Kilt for wedding and or (bizarrely) for football. Football top for football games (which if you are a grown man is also cringe worthy)

Hope that clears it up for you buddy.

There was a definite "Look at us, we're pure dead edgy" about a lot of the folk who gathered at George Square when Thatcher croaked it. I was delighted to see her go, mostly for what she represented, and I did crack a few jokes on Facebook and the like, but it never crossed my mind to look out the party hat and get myself on the news. Too many are caught up in the cult of celebrity and the need to be known for something.

Oh no the resentment and so on I perfectly understand and the jokes and so on don't bother me, they are standard following the death of any well known figure if we are being honest , but you have hit the nail on the head with the whole " look at me and how edgy I am" description of some and think that is what I found cringey

And as for the celebrity status , I have always thought how utterly cringe filled a Glasgow or even scottish version of Geordie shore / Essex etc would be but sadly I think it is inevitable before one appears . Or could we just class the scheme as our version

A vast proportion of your posts revolve around how your (Swiss) burd complains about your drinking.

I think there may be more than a little hyperbole there, but I do complain about her attitude to my drinking, yes. Mostly because she didn't complain about it when she met me while living in Scotland, and also because I drink far less than I ever did back then.

I did kind of admit to being a hypocrite in the post you quoted though.

That having an English team crap, Bigotry, Scottish politics, our transport network, Sundays, mass simple behaviour over being able to buy slightly better donuts.

I posted it a few weeks ago, it is so cringe though.

I do quite like Sheridan but think he has his flaws.

Not a fan of his at all if I am honest

That video is just a tad bizzare though, it's almost like watching a husband tell his mrs how she is voting .

was round at a mates a while back and some news footage of england fans cuasing bother at one of their away games was playing, one of my mates said in a very matter of fact tone that "if they try that at hampden next year theyl get destroyed!"  aye right! by fuckin who? drunk middle aged men in kilts and see you jimmy hats? i mean sure out of 50 odd thousand  theres a few guys who could look after themselves but the idea that these tartan army types would do anything against a group of hardened hooligans is just laughable

Archived