The Scottish Cringe

The "only in Scotland" tripe that's usually said about something a little bit amusing that would happen in about 99% of countries. It's often spouted by absolute simpletons.

I once saw a guy stop eating a Steakbake on a bus to pish into an empty Oasis bottle then continue with his savoury snack from Greggs. Doubt I'd witness that spectacle in Japan to be honest

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once saw a guy stop eating a Steakbake on a bus to pish into an empty Oasis bottle then continue with his savoury snack from Greggs. Doubt I'd witness that spectacle in Japan to be honest

That's a nice story you've got there. Shame it doesn't contradict anything I've just said.

Utter bore jobs who use scottishness as a replacement for a personality. This usually manifests itself in drunk middle aged guys on trains harassing fellow travellers with banter and whas like us pish chat, drunk middle aged guys at Scotland away games doing same, people wearing kilts on stag dos.

The wearing of kilts and or Scotland top when aboard (not for football or a wedding etc) Despite what some people think, most people are indifferent to you being Scottish.

Casual dress for this wedding, was it?

Those awful "Scottish Banter" pages where everyone has to type like a ned.

"Ma face after a night oot at eh Garage and all i wanted was a couple of pints wae ma pals"

The fact that people boast about how hard/rough their area is as if by some extension it reflects on them being hard/tough for growing up in it. In reality they couldn't punch their way out a paper poke and would be terrified of confrontation.

To be fair this happens everwhere in the world , but get what you mean

I have also experienced in smaller towns when visiting and going into different pubs , their is a certain type of folk usually the younger ones around my age (late teens -early 20's)who immediately see the fact you are from Glasgow as some sort of reason behind getting wide or trying to instigate a square go . Probably to try and bolster that hard man reputation they cling onto or are desperate for in that town .

How everything social revolves around alcohol.

I agree with this being cringeworthy, but at the same time live a life that complies with the stereotype.

How everything social revolves around alcohol.

That irks me too. I'm in my mid to late 30s now and don't drink Very much these days because I don't enjoy it all that much anymore and I hate hangovers. Quite a few of my mates of the same age still binge drink every weekend and don't understand why I'm not in pubs and clubs with them. When I explain it, they just don't listen.

And they would not ever do any kind of social activity that didn't involve drinking. They moan about how people never go out but when you ask them if they fancy a game of bowling or pool or whatever they are like "wut?"

If you go out with them and God forbid you've decided to drive you might as well not have bothered.

That irks me too. I'm in my mid to late 30s now and don't drink Very much these days because I don't enjoy it all that much anymore and I hate hangovers. Quite a few of my mates of the same age still binge drink every weekend and don't understand why I'm not in pubs and clubs with them. When I explain it, they just don't listen.

And they would not ever do any kind of social activity that didn't involve drinking. They moan about how people never go out but when you ask them if they fancy a game of bowling or pool or whatever they are like "wut?"

If you go out with them and God forbid you've decided to drive you might as well not have bothered.

I think maybe they don't like you. Bowling and pool are two games that encourage bevvying in my experience.

I don't think the drinking comes down as Scottish cringe - it is more of a western civilisation social problem at large.

I find certain Glasgweigans embrace the mentality that certain things can only happen there and that their city is like no other.

Found the reaction when that poor Irish girl was murdered there last year quite cringe as well, as if the entire city was collectively in mourning over it, very odd behaviour.

The grief-wallowing thing is a good shout.

Public mourning, particularly for someone or people you've never met is awful. It does seem to be a particularly Glaswegian problem, admittedly.

I blame the Old Firm, Janey Godley and Rosie Kane.

Glasgow and the surrounding area is becoming worse than Merseyside for tacky displays of public misery.

Again, the whole "whae's like us?" attitude of Glasgow is dreadful as well.

Archived