The Scottish Cringe

As a nationalist I rail against the Scottish Cringe in general terms but in truth there are some things about Scottish "culture" which do genuinely make my nervous system contort with embarrassment and irritation.

I'll give you an example.

The BBC's Two Doors Down. Horrified to hear that it's network wide.

What causes you the cringe?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People pretending to be mad eccie munchers when they've probably never seen a pill stronger than an 800mg ibuprofen. 

Scottish Twitter - a load of middle class students tweeting like they are from a mad housing scheme for the sake of getting RTs.

I quite like Scotland though.  Well done lads.

Anyone who follows "Wings over Scotland" on twitter.

Complaining about nonexistent problems,

Worked in England for about 3 years from 1989 onwards since then have been up and down to all parts of England north, south, east and west for holidays, work, weddings, just passing through to get abroad on innumerable times and only once can I remember an issue with Scottish bank notes that took more than 30 seconds to resolve,

and to be honest if I was handed something to cover payment that wasn't the usual to what I expect I would probably take about the same time to check it and read it.

If someone takes an extra 30 seconds to look at a Scottish bank note to be sure it real, good on them for being observant and correct at their job,

Don't take a hump and complain like it the restarting of the Highland Clearances.

Deep Fried Mars Bars

Becoming the first country ever to have the chance to wins it independence without having to embark on a war and shitting it

T in The Park and all the utter pondlife that go to it, a weekend for neds with no real interest in music to get utterly cunted and behave like bams and think its socially acceptable

Having utter wankstains like Marti Pellow and Colin Montgomerie as famous Scots

That crock of shite Only An Excuse that still gets prime time airing on national TV

Our utter abomination of a national stadium

People complaining about English sports commentators. They accuse them of saying "if he does well he's British and if he does badly he's Scottish" (eg in the context of Andy Murray). Usually accuser saying it is so stupid they get it the wrong way round anyway and end up in a pool of their own xenophobic drool. The whole concept of being snidely racist would require a level of cognitive activity unlikely to be found in the vacuous noggin of said commentator anyway.

The wearing of kilts and or Scotland top when aboard (not for football or a wedding etc) Despite what some people think, most people are indifferent to you being Scottish.

The wearing of kilts and or Scotland top when aboard (not for football or a wedding etc) Despite what some people think, most people are indifferent to you being Scottish.

... and then later making up some shite story that you got your hole because of your kilt. 

Pretending the tartan army are the best fans in the world when they're just going for a massive pissup because our team is so shit.

Calling yourselves the 'Tartan Army'.

All that's associated with the nuggets that call themselves the 'Tartan Army'.

Archived