Kosova admitted as member of UEFA

As was - and indeed still is - Vojvodina.

On the subject of lists: following the admission of Gibraltar and Kosovo how many parts of Europe are there who can't play international football? It can't be very many now. Some territories, as the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey and the various Scandanavian islands, play for their mother countries. Monaco and the Vatican City are two obvious examples. Northern Cyprus. Is that it?

Incidentally the Kosovan teams failed to obtain UEFA licenses in time, so they'll not feature in CL or EL next season and no adjustments to slots.

South Ossetia, Chechnya,  Abkhazia, Dagestan, Transnistria, Nagorno Karabakh are all de facto states without official UN recognition but with some recognition of their independence. They probably all could play for Georgia, Russia or Armenia but then again Kosovans could have quite easily played for Serbia if they so wish.

Catalonia, Basque Country, Galicia, Corsica, are probably as valid an example of a state as Kosovo hence Spain's reluctance to recognise them at the UN.

The UK, Monaco and Vatican are the 3 UN member states in the UEFA zone who are not part of FIFA.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

North Cyprus should get their independence sooner than later. They've been behaving like an independent country for decades and "South Cyprus" tends to stay out of their affairs whilst still technically owning that piece of land.

I think the same is true of the likes of Nagorno-Karabakh and South Ossetia.

There are a number of places in Europe that behave like independent countries, the interesting thing is if they were to ever break away from the legal "parent" country would they become actual independent countries or join up with other "parent" countries

For example if Cyprus was to partition itself, would North Cyprus become independent or would it legally be part of Turkey?

Similarly in Nagorno-Karabakh, if they were ever to free themselves from Azerbaijani rule, would they go independent or join Armenia?

North Cyprus should get their independence sooner than later. They've been behaving like an independent country for decades and "South Cyprus" tends to stay out of their affairs whilst still technically owning that piece of land.

^^^ idiot found

I think the same is true of the likes of Nagorno-Karabakh and South Ossetia.

There are a number of places in Europe that behave like independent countries, the interesting thing is if they were to ever break away from the legal "parent" country would they become actual independent countries or join up with other "parent" countries

For example if Cyprus was to partition itself, would North Cyprus become independent or would it legally be part of Turkey?

Similarly in Nagorno-Karabakh, if they were ever to free themselves from Azerbaijani rule, would they go independent or join Armenia?

This really is a cretinous post.  I realise it's repeating what VT posted above but worth it IMO.

Did Switzerland publicly say why they opposed it? Why was it such a tight vote? News coverage just focuses on Serbia, who's opposition is clear.

Probably because their best players are eligible for Kosova 

• 2 months later...

UEFA's scrapped Russia's centralised friendlies - they'll be globetrotting for the next 2 years... and added Kosovo to WC qualifying Group I (to avoid Bosnians) and Gibraltar to Group H.

Group H
Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Greece, Estonia, Cyprus, Gibraltar

Group I
Croatia, Iceland, Ukraine, Turkey, Finland, Kosovo

Must be something, aye. UEFA has decided Kosovo teams shouldn't be drawn with Serbian or Bosnia teams in tournaments "for security reasons".

That ruling joins Armenia-Azerbaijan, Spain-Gibraltar (laughably) and Russia-Ukraine. I think Russia-Georgia has been lifted.

Kosovo will play home games in Albania - no compliant stadiums.

Archived