Kosova admitted as member of UEFA

It seems to be unclear whether this will be a 'capped' entry, of 1 CL & 1 EL place or if they'll be able to float up the coefficient table and get more slots. Gibraltar are now above Andorra and San Marino, who as the bottom 2 countries in the coefficient get 2 EL slots instead of 3, but nevertheless Gibraltar are still being 'capped' at only 1 EL slot by UEFA.

That seems mental to me, what's UEFA's reasons/justification? It's not as if Kosovan or Gibraltarian teams would be dominating Europe either way, so they're hardly a threat to the established superclubs.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea if theres any previous examples for it, but most folk seem to think they'll be given the choice to swap if they want

After the collapse of the USSR, Russia was considered the successor state and quite a number of players who were not actually eligible to play for Russia, being nationals of break away states like Ukraine, Georgia etc, were allowed to chose to play as Russians (Andrei Kanchelskis being one of the better known ones).

Others, of course, chose to play for the 'new' nations. 

That seems mental to me, what's UEFA's reasons/justification? It's not as if Kosovan or Gibraltarian teams would be dominating Europe either way, so they're hardly a threat to the established superclubs.

I don't know why.

Before EL began, Andorra and San Marino were 'capped' at 0 CL and 1 EL slots - but since EL started it changed to the bottom pair in coefficient table getting 2 EL slots instead of 3 as incentive to improve.

Hopefully it's just a sort of "probation" new members have to serve. In just 2 seasons Gibraltar clubs have managed 2 draws & 1 win in CL (including reaching QR2 this season), and as I say are now above Andorra and San Marino.

Kosovo seem to have quite a well-established football system. Twelve-team Superleague playing 33 games above a sixteen-team second tier playing 30 games.

These 28 clubs combine in the Kosovar Cup, where uniquely everyone starts in R1 and correspondingly (28 > 14 > 7) someone gets a bye at QFs stage :huh:  :lol:... SFs are over 2 legs.

Interestingly the city of Mitrovica, divided along ethnic lines, has 2 clubs in the Kosovo Superleague and 1 club in the Serbian 4th tier. Indeed there is a dedicated "Kosovo Division" at tier 5 of the Serb system.

They're playing the Faroes tonight, this their first game? Kosovo 8/11 in the betting.

Recorded mixed results since being allowed to play full friendlies in 2014.

Kosovo 0-0 Haiti

Kosovo 1-6 Turkey

Kosovo 1-3 Senegal (in Switzerland)

Kosovo 1-0 Oman

Kosovo 2-0 Equatorial Guinea

Kosovo 2-2 Albania

If nothing else it serves as a good indicator of where their level will be. They won't be absoluted horsed like Gibraltar have been anyway. They'll float about with the Georgias and Moldovas of this world for a bit but I can see them improving to be competing for play-off positions eventually.

I don't know how it works with UEFA coefficients and what not for new countries, but if they end-up in the bottom tier of the UEFA Nations League they could have a shot at Euro 2020 - each division has 1 finals slot.

By last year's UEFA National Team coefficients the bottom division would be:

Belarus, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Latvia, Cyprus, Moldova, Macedonia, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Faroe Islands, Malta, Andorra, San Marino, Gibraltar, Kosovo

• 2 weeks later...

It wouldn't be any different, IMO, from players who had already played for Yugoslavia being allowed to play for Croatia/Slovenia etc while there was still a team called Yugoslavia.

I think that Yugoslavia though was what is now known as Serbia.

Although the state broke up and along came Slovenia, Croatia etc, Yugoslavia continued to play before becoming known as Serbia, at least in footballing terms.

I know but the Croats, Macedonians, etc who had played for the old Yugoslavia were allowed to play for Croatia, Macedonia is what I meant.

Absolutely aye. Given the ethnic cleansing by the Serbs I would have doubted the sanity of any of the Croats/Bosnians etc if they had chosen to still play for Yugoslavia. I guess it's a wee bit different to the Albania/Switzerland/Kosovo situation though.

I think that Yugoslavia though was what is now known as Serbia.

Although the state broke up and along came Slovenia, Croatia etc, Yugoslavia continued to play before becoming known as Serbia, at least in footballing terms.

Prior to the 1990s Yugoslavia was a federation of six republics who eventually declared their independence

Slovenia - independent 1991

Croatia - indepdndent 1991

Bosnia & Herzogovina - independent 1992

Macedonia - indepedent 1993

During this period Serbia and Montenegro continued to be referred to as Yugoslavia until 2003 when, a few years following the overthrow of the Milosevic regime in Belgrade, the country was reconstituted as Serbia and Montenegro.  This ended in 2006 when Montenegro voted for independence in a referendum.

Kosova wasn't a constituent republic of Yugoslavia but was an autonomous province of the Serbian republic.

Prior to the 1990s Yugoslavia was a federation of six republics who eventually declared their independence

During this period Serbia and Montenegro continued to be referred to as Yugoslavia until 2003 when, a few years following the overthrow of the Milosevic regime in Belgrade, the country was reconstituted as Serbia and Montenegro. This ended in 2006 when Montenegro voted for independence in a referendum.

Kosova wasn't a constituent republic of Yugoslavia but was an autonomous province of the Serbian republic.

Aye that's kinda what I said.

During this period Serbia and Montenegro continued to be referred to as Yugoslavia until 2003 when, a few years following the overthrow of the Milosevic regime in Belgrade, the country was reconstituted as Serbia and Montenegro.  This ended in 2006 when Montenegro voted for independence in a referendum.

As was - and indeed still is - Vojvodina.

On the subject of lists: following the admission of Gibraltar and Kosovo how many parts of Europe are there who can't play international football? It can't be very many now. Some territories, as the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey and the various Scandanavian islands, play for their mother countries. Monaco and the Vatican City are two obvious examples. Northern Cyprus. Is that it?

Incidentally the Kosovan teams failed to obtain UEFA licenses in time, so they'll not feature in CL or EL next season and no adjustments to slots.

As was - and indeed still is - Vojvodina.

On the subject of lists: following the admission of Gibraltar and Kosovo how many parts of Europe are there who can't play international football? It can't be very many now. Some territories, as the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey and the various Scandanavian islands, play for their mother countries. Monaco and the Vatican City are two obvious examples. Northern Cyprus. Is that it?

Incidentally the Kosovan teams failed to obtain UEFA licenses in time, so they'll not feature in CL or EL next season and no adjustments to slots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_in_Europe

Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus

Akrotiri and Dhelkelia - British military bases in Cyprus

Guernsey

Isle of Man

Jersey

Aaland Isles - Special Case

Archived