Will Dundee United come straight back up again?

Promotion?  

260 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Love the fact Thompsons getting the blame for all this and all will be rosy once he leaves. Its hardly as if the club will be a draw for anyone to buy at the moment.

At least one season down, if the fans actually support the club. If they all continue to mewl and act as if they're above relegation then they could be down a while.

Bang on the money.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You only have to look at Hibernian and St Mirren.

Very good point.

United to have the league won by Christmas   :P

Love the fact Thompsons getting the blame for all this and all will be rosy once he leaves. Its hardly as if the club will be a draw for anyone to buy at the moment.

At least one season down, if the fans actually support the club. If they all continue to mewl and act as if they're above relegation then they could be down a while.

Given that you posted immediately after me, I presume that this in response to what I posted. You'll note I made no reference to whether or not Thompson has done a good job. The fact of the matter is that United are in a dreadful state and he's the man in charge. His relationship with the fans has utterly broken down. That's not a situation you can recover from.

The draw for anyone taking over the club is the same as it is at virtually every club in Scotland - the chance to run the team you support. Anybody looking to make money out of running a football club need not apply.

League reconstruction is the only way that will guarantee us getting straight back up.

They'd be fooked even with 2x 18 team leagues, sending them to places like Gayfield rather than just East End Park.

Is he dead?

No danger. :lol:

Only the most optimistic or naive of Arabs would think that it's going to easy to go straight back up. I think regardless of whether anyone else goes down and who may still go up this season then it will be a tough league next season.

Hamilton or Killie going down and Hibs going up may may make it slightly easier but not much.

In a league consisting of potentially Hibs, Raith Rovers, QotS, St. Mirren, Morton, Dunfermline, Ayr and Falkirk it's a bloody difficult league on paper.

If Thompson makes an arse of the managerial appointment and subsequent player recruitment, they could be down here for a while.

If we get the right manager in quickly, we should be in with a shout. Problem is identifying him and having a board that's going to back him.

I can still see hibs coming up this year despite their innate ability to f**k things up. It would probably be better for us if they got out and killie went down.

They could be up against hibs, Falkirk, Raith, St Boo , qots, killie, Dunfermline. It's going to be a right bugger to win it next season, hopefully hibs stay doon and hibsing things up.

No, I think the recent examples of teams staying down are all you need to look at for that.

Yes, the playoffs mean it is easier to get out of nowadays, but I will be surprised if they finish above 4th.

Looking at it realistically:

- Massive discontent with running of the club, future uncertain.

- Manager will most likely go, chances of instant success from a new manager are very slim, especially considering other factors.

- Huge fall in attendances likely, especially if the season starts poorly.

- Fall in season ticket sales, especially if Thompson is still there.

- Fire-sale of playing staff means that the squad will be almost entirely comprised of new players.

- Huge budget cuts are essential and will impact the quality of those new players.

- A very strong league, especially if Hibs stay down, the only really "weak" teams being Dumbarton and the winners of the the relegation playoff (Ayr and Peterhead are very handy teams, especially if they improve)

If United don't take this season to consolidate and start fresh then you could well see what has happened to Dunfermline, Thistle, Livi, Hearts will happen to them, if they try to spend their way out of the league I can see them playing League 1 football within 3 years, I think we showed the you may last a few season and maybe even get back up again before it catches up with you.

If you look at the teams that will likely be there next season you have:

Ayr/Livi/Peterhead

Dumbarton

United

Dunfermline

Falkirk

Morton

Hibs/Killie

QotS

Raith

St. Mirren

I think they could reasonably expect to finish ahead of Dumbarton and the winner of the playoffs, we more than matched them earlier in the season and should have won, the only difference being fitness levels in extra time, we have also beat Dundee and perhaps should have beaten Ross County home and away and we are probably seen as the weakest of the remaining 7 teams they will face.

I think the Championship table will look something like this at the end of next season

Hibs

Falkirk

Morton

Dunfermline

St Mirren

United

Raith

Queens

Ayr

Dumbarton

Archived