Jump to content

Stirling Albion Thread


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, peternapper said:

Will our game have a PATG option or do tickets need purchased.  Would expect our support will still outnumber or squad  just.

Pay at the gate, cash or card

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So by the sounds of things Harrison Clark has been on loan at Arbroath and at Kelty. Glad he’s had that experience and pleasantly surprised we’re getting someone who already has some experience instead of a fresh-faced untested player who may take a while to settle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BinoBalls said:

So by the sounds of things Harrison Clark has been on loan at Arbroath and at Kelty. Glad he’s had that experience and pleasantly surprised we’re getting someone who already has some experience instead of a fresh-faced untested player who may take a while to settle. 

Let's hope he's as good for us as another Livingston loanee, Snoddy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Darren Lee Smith is still without a club I believe although can't find much trace of where he was last season. East Kilbride/Edinburgh City seems to have been his last stops

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What are your thoughts for the season ahead lads? I am cautiously optimistic we can finish mid-table. We are a disaster off the park (won't go into that) but feel like we have performed reasonably well in the League Cup.

Goalkeeper - seem to have two solid options. Currie is brilliant at this level.

Defence - It wasn't very good last season but hopefully improves with Paul McLean back. Feel like the signing of Clark has been a great one. Having two better options than we had last season gives me some hope.

Midfield - needs improvement. Denholm seems to have a good understanding with Clark but like others pointed out a few weeks ago, extremely worried about creating chances over a 36 game season. Leitch getting injured earlier certainly doesn't help matters. I did like the look of Josh Cooper but needs games. I'd personally have kept Roberts and Grant but that's in the past.

Attack - we need Carrick to score. If he gets injured we're in trouble. There's a good player in Robert Thomson but he doesn't score many goals. Jury is out on Burns at this level. Had a couple of good chances today but failed to take them.

1st-3rd - can't see it happening unless we sign a few great loans and things become settled off the park. There do seem to be other teams in the division who are struggling to assemble a decent team. This gives me optimism that we can finish anywhere from 4th-8th.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, dave_binos said:

What are your thoughts for the season ahead lads? I am cautiously optimistic we can finish mid-table. We are a disaster off the park (won't go into that) but feel like we have performed reasonably well in the League Cup.

Goalkeeper - seem to have two solid options. Currie is brilliant at this level.

Defence - It wasn't very good last season but hopefully improves with Paul McLean back. Feel like the signing of Clark has been a great one. Having two better options than we had last season gives me some hope.

Midfield - needs improvement. Denholm seems to have a good understanding with Clark but like others pointed out a few weeks ago, extremely worried about creating chances over a 36 game season. Leitch getting injured earlier certainly doesn't help matters. I did like the look of Josh Cooper but needs games. I'd personally have kept Roberts and Grant but that's in the past.

Attack - we need Carrick to score. If he gets injured we're in trouble. There's a good player in Robert Thomson but he doesn't score many goals. Jury is out on Burns at this level. Had a couple of good chances today but failed to take them.

1st-3rd - can't see it happening unless we sign a few great loans and things become settled off the park. There do seem to be other teams in the division who are struggling to assemble a decent team. This gives me optimism that we can finish anywhere from 4th-8th.

I would hope to get into the playoffs this season at least, mid table to me is just another wasted season. 
 

Goalkeepers Agree Blair Currie is a good solid keeper. 
 

Defence If we can keep Paul McLean fit and healthy then the defence should improve. Clark has been good, hopefully will turn out to be a good signing for us. Just hope we can avoid injuries to key players like McGregor/ Cumins.

Midfield Think we lack a creative midfield player to create chances for our forwards but you never know the signings made so far could prove their worth in the season ahead.

Attack A lot appears to be riding on Dale Carrick this season, if he gets the service and stays clear of injuries then we are in with a chance. Thompson don’t know about him he should be an asset once he settles in. Burns still to find his feet at this level, let’s hope he learns fast, could be a useful addition. 

Don’t expect us to win this League but would hope to get into 3rd or 4th spot. After 2 seasons of failing it’s time we at least made the playoffs. Whether we do anything if we did get to them remains to be seen but at least it will be progress. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am loathe to take too much from a good league cup effort.  Players often lift their game for cup ties, but when it comes to the bread and butter league don't show the same form.  Maybe they will, maybe they won't, I'm in wait and see mode and predicting nothing.

Looking at the tables in the cup, there are an unusual number of teams finishing 2nd with less than 8 points. I don't remember how many ties there are in the next round, so I'm wondering if we have a chance of getting through as a 2nd place on 8 points?  I really don't  know, but if so we might have a busier schedule early season than anticipated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think it’s fair to say that like most, I was pretty underwhelmed by the summer recruitment and continually waited for a name to join the club that excited me, but (so far?) that never came. However, I think over the Cup games it’s pretty evident that Darren Young has put a squad together that’s  maybe better than many of us first feared and, at this point, can I quietly utter the words, a good squad?

I’m loathed to get too excited this early in the season, I’ve been here too many times before, being carried away only to be let down, and maybe with age as well, I now go into seasons with that “wait and see” mentality.

You can only gauge the squad by what we have seen so far. I wasn’t at Dumbarton or Raith but by all accounts the squad did well. Many said we could have won more convincingly against The Sons and deserved the win against Raith and, in my opinion, we more than deserved the comfortable win against Peterhead yesterday, so we have reasons to be optimistic.

It’s early doors, I really don’t want to judge just yet but I posted elsewhere that I have been impressed by the new signings but I do worry about the lack of real pace and possibly the creativity throughout the team, however the style of play is easier on the eye than what we have witnessed under KR.

I also have concerns up front. If you play Carrick through the middle, he’ll score goals. I liked him at Cowdenbeath and I like him here, so was delighted when the news came that he had stayed on. After that, Thomson is a good player who you would like to think will do well partnering Carrick, but looking at his record, he’s not a goal scorer and both haven’t had the best time with injuries over the past few years. Then we have Burns, who did well against Peterhead and has scored an excellent amount of goals at a lower level, and although worthy of a chance, is unknown at this level. So I think if there is any room for additions, then I feel it should probably come upfront.

So how do I think we’ll do? I think we’ll be ok this season. I don’t really see anything to fear elsewhere and can’t see anyone winning the league at a canter, although other teams will be equally as strong or stronger than we are. However, I do think we can get ourselves into a Play Off spot., do I see us winning the league, No, but do I see us finishing 9th or 10th like some people have ludicrously said in the other thread, absolutely not but anywhere between 3rd and 6th, probably wouldn’t surprise me depending on how other teams perform as I do think it will be a nip tuck league this year with teams 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

just caught up with The Lost Final on BBC iPlayer. Pat Nevin re-lives the 1982 U-18 European Championship win with John Philliben scoring the opening goal in the final.

A good watch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just noticed on Twitter that Josh Cooper has had his contract extended from January until the end of the season. That's positive news for the club, I'm sure everyone will agree that he came in as an unknown but has looked like a positive signing when he has been given a chance, most notably the Peterhead and Elgin games. It'll be interesting to see if he can kick on now and cement a regular First Team start, I hope so because he looks to be one of our most energic players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Just noticed on Twitter that Josh Cooper has had his contract extended from January until the end of the season. That's positive news for the club, I'm sure everyone will agree that he came in as an unknown but has looked like a positive signing when he has been given a chance, most notably the Peterhead and Elgin games. It'll be interesting to see if he can kick on now and cement a regular First Team start, I hope so because he looks to be one of our most energic players.

ditto everything said there

 

my only concern is he doesn't get the game time to show what he can do. The next Sean Heaver...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Why was the other thread locked?

Presumably because it was becoming endlessly repetitive and inane as two people with intractable positions were slugging it out and achieving nothing except making us all look bad.

Pity really as the hysteria levels were epic at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Just noticed on Twitter that Josh Cooper has had his contract extended from January until the end of the season. That's positive news for the club, I'm sure everyone will agree that he came in as an unknown but has looked like a positive signing when he has been given a chance, most notably the Peterhead and Elgin games. It'll be interesting to see if he can kick on now and cement a regular First Team start, I hope so because he looks to be one of our most energic players.

agree, his contributions have been positive but that's without Leach in the team, would the manager play both or drop Leach for Cooper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...