Stirling Albion Thread

Football day again. Luvvly jubbly.  Raith Rovers away.  A tough ask to get anything out of this one. I don't know what to expect from the Albion. Absolutely no idea.  Can just wish the team all the luck they can get Hint, not gifting the ball away is definitely a lucky thing to do.

Interesting comment from Darren Young in his after match interview in that he states that he expects another 2 or 3 players to join us before the season starts. I thought the squad was pretty close to being closed now, however there appears to be room for a few additions.

I'm guessing these will be loan players that we are awaiting to be released from their current squads to join up with us, but it'll be interesting to see what positions he feels is not quite right.

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Interesting comment from Darren Young in his after match interview in that he states that he expects another 2 or 3 players to join us before the season starts. I thought the squad was pretty close to being closed now, however there appears to be room for a few additions.

I'm guessing these will be loan players that we are awaiting to be released from their current squads to join up with us, but it'll be interesting to see what positions he feels is not quite right.

There’s no centre mids, and they’ve  been playing with a centre half and two right mids as centre halves. Think that’s where he needs to be signing players for. The bench isn’t strong enough, the last couple of games it’s been full of u20’s

1 hour ago, #GSC said:

There’s no centre mids, and they’ve  been playing with a centre half and two right mids as centre halves. Think that’s where he needs to be signing players for. The bench isn’t strong enough, the last couple of games it’s been full of u20’s

Tend to agree Centre Half and Midfield is where we need help the most. 

56 minutes ago, rhliston said:

Tend to agree Centre Half and Midfield is where we need help the most. 

We've got 6 players who can play CH : McGeachie, McLean, McGregor, Cummins, Greenhorn, and Clark can play left CB if needed. Agree midfield is the priority. Think we've got 18 of a squad and the manager had said he was looking for 20 a while back, so another couple to come in seems about right based on that.

Reading other clubs' threads, it seems as if there are quite a lot of players who are hedging their bets. We may have contract offers on the table, and are waiting for replies.

17 minutes ago, gmca said:

We've got 6 players who can play CH : McGeachie, McLean, McGregor, Cummins, Greenhorn, and Clark can play left CB if needed. Agree midfield is the priority. Think we've got 18 of a squad and the manager had said he was looking for 20 a while back, so another couple to come in seems about right based on that.

Reading other clubs' threads, it seems as if there are quite a lot of players who are hedging their bets. We may have contract offers on the table, and are waiting for replies.

Agree, but would add one more striker to that.  Fans seem to be concerned about gaps in their squad in much of league two and poor Peterhead in league one have been barely fielding a team.   It seems to have been an exceptionally slow transfer market generally, with many targets still being hunted. As you suggest, I doubt it's any different for us.

5 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

Agree, but would add one more striker to that.  Fans seem to be concerned about gaps in their squad in much of league two and poor Peterhead in league one have been barely fielding a team.   It seems to have been an exceptionally slow transfer market generally, with many targets still being hunted. As you suggest, I doubt it's any different for us.

Yeah, good shout WC, a creative midfielder and another striker probably best if we're adding another 2.

We definitely need a striker. We’ve got 2 decent ones (Thomson and Carrick) but neither are especially renowned for goals, plus a gamble from someone a few leagues down who most likely wont be hitting double figures in his first season at this level.

We’ve never replaced Andy Ryan. 

Hoping for someone decent up front and not a squad filler. Loans are ok but I doubt it any loan player — usually untested youngsters — is going to be a regular goal scorer. 

6 hours ago, BinoBalls said:

We definitely need a striker. We’ve got 2 decent ones (Thomson and Carrick) but neither are especially renowned for goals, plus a gamble from someone a few leagues down who most likely wont be hitting double figures in his first season at this level.

We’ve never replaced Andy Ryan. 

Hoping for someone decent up front and not a squad filler. Loans are ok but I doubt it any loan player — usually untested youngsters — is going to be a regular goal scorer. 

Without someone to create chances, no one will get too many goals in a season for us.

That Aberdeen side were ruthless and some of the attacking play in the First Half, you just had to sit back and applaud. They’ll be no mugs in the PL fight for the best of the rest this season. 

That said, it was clear what the danger was, it was attacking with pace and through balls and yet our Defence held a high line, which seemed odd to me but there’s no way you can be critical of our players last night, they really were up against it and the game will hold no baring on how the season will pan out.

Looking around the team though, what has happened to Ross Davidson? Haven’t heard anything about him and he’s not featured in any of the games so far. 

Edited by BB_Bino

Guest AberhillEnd
2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

That Aberdeen side were ruthless and some of the attacking play in the First Half, you just had to sit back and applaud. They’ll be no mugs in the PL fight for the best of the rest this season. 

That said, it was clear what the danger was, it was attacking with pace and through balls and yet our Defence held a high line, which seemed odd to me but there’s no way you can be critical of our players last night, they really were up against it and the game will hold no baring on how the season will pan out.

Looking around the team though, what has happened to Ross Davidson? Haven’t heard anything about him and he’s not featured in any of the games so far. 

You shouldn't judge your squad v full time opponents, Dunfermline were streets ahead of us and it's not these teams we will be playing week in week out.

Ross Davidson was injured for most of last season, think the injury that kept him out in the run in was a broken bone in his foot.

Edited by AberhillEnd

4 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Re above about Ross Davidson. Last game of last season he was there with leg in a moonboot. He will be still recovering from that so might be a few weeks yet but I’m sure he will be worth the wait.

5 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Was in the Observer 2 or 3 weeks ago that he was starting training that week after having had an operation (perhaps on the foot the East Fife guys mention).