Stirling Albion Thread

6 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

I'm not convinced that unrest behind the scenes is a major factor in signings or lack of. Doesn't seem like our recruitment is that different to the other teams in the division.

Not that it helps anything though. It would obviously be better if everyone was on the same page.

I doubt it has a positive effect on season ticket renewals.

I'm not convinced either. That's why I stressed MIGHT be. I think we can both agree that the one thing it  it isn't is  helpful.

5 hours ago, gmca said:

The manager was quoted as saying we've missed out on a couple of targets. Don't know the reasons of course, and it's not unusual for that to happen.

I take the point about players perhaps not bothering about off field issues, but I wonder if agents may influence them a bit. If some off field shitfest happens that affects a team's performance, players' reputations can take a hit. It seems there are fewer players available this close season, so reasonable players may have a better choice, and our issues may make us less appealing. That, and the fact we've been dugmeat for ages of course.

Having said all that, Leagues 1 and 2 transfer activity feels as if it's been a bit slow. Maybe a good few players are hedging their bets still, and we'll get a couple of gems in soon. 

Let's face it, players want money.  Some clubs bend the fair play rules by paying money via benefactors or under the table. We can't compete with that.  If we tried to, repeated public inquisition on where every penny goes would expose it. Full accountability carries a price with it and that's it.

10 hours ago, BinoBalls said:

I’m hoping at our level — where players are part time and signing for 1 season — that off field discontent won’t really be influencing anyone much. Let’s face it we appear to be very financially secure, probably more than most clubs. The issue is the tiresome war between the 2 boards. 

However if the in-fighting is genuinely causing us to struggle to recruit decent players then someone is sooner or later going to need to swallow their pride and step aside to try and find a way to unify the club. There are some divisive figures on both sides.

The fans have suffered over a decade of dross now, we can’t keep wasting season after season because people would rather be protecting their own status or threatening the other side than doing what’s best for the football club.

Yes we have suffered after a succession of rookie managers have screwed up.  We finally get an experienced manager and it's civil war again before a ball in the new season is kicked. 

An interim board suggested that is frankly underwhelming , to be replaced with, or supplemented by God knows who. At this point we face the removal of the entire club board. That's hardly unifying.

There needs to be a membership vote  on this. If it's only by people who were members prior to this kicking off, fine.  Carrying on with the entire membership disenfranchised is not on as any sort of solution.

Back to football, I hope there are good signings yet to come. We seem a tad short on depth in every department.

Let's face it, players want money.  Some clubs bend the fair play rules by paying money via benefactors or under the table. We can't compete with that.  If we tried to, repeated public inquisition on where every penny goes would expose it. Full accountability carries a price with it and that's it.
You're not seriously suggesting some League Two teams may he running the risk of breaching FFP and getting a slap on the wrist from Fifa are you?
e266005391f3435be700b4d1a96a54cb.jpg

44 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

You're not seriously suggesting some League Two teams may he running the risk of breaching FFP and getting a slap on the wrist from Fifa are you?
e266005391f3435be700b4d1a96a54cb.jpg

Not really, they got promoted to league one.

32 minutes ago, MrBeeno said:

A statement like this from the Club  Board was just what I expected.After trying to manipulate the last poll we almost had,they want another one.They are an embarrassment to the club.They need to go.

Seems to me that the Trust membership should be involved in the discussion of who ultimately runs the club on a day to day basis. It's too important for either the Club board or the Trust board to impose their will as far as they are able to do so.

35 minutes ago, MrBeeno said:

A statement like this from the Club  Board was just what I expected.After trying to manipulate the last poll we almost had,they want another one.They are an embarrassment to the club.They need to go.

Yes when things looked bad enough we have the Club Board out to show that things could get worst. 

So they try once again to put their oar in and try to play the they did not consult with the Trust Members card. When are these people going to realise that time is up for them. 

Like the comment "Whilst we have a legal responsibility of running the business affairs of the Club. we are also fans" Says it all. 

Absolutely sick of all this. Both sides speak up only to say what they’ve done is right and insist the other side is at fault. Meanwhile we’re still rank on the pitch, unable to replace players we’ve let go and getting royally spanked in both pre-season outings so far.

Think I’ll take a year’s sabbatical and go take up cross-stitching on a Saturday afternoon instead. Maybe we’ll find some self-respect by this time next year. 

1 hour ago, Red Watch said:

Yesterday Albion Rovers were the bookies' pre-season favourites to occupy the trapdoor slot at season-end.

The way things are going I anticipate they will be revising their odds very soon.

Bonnyrigg seem to be relying on last year's squad 

There's a big step up between LL and Scottish League and they may find that out by the end of September 

Do we have the players and Manager to achieve the aim of promotion…..I’m not convinced, but do I think for 1 minute there are 9 squads better than ours in the league? I definitely don’t, but I am concerned.

7 hours ago, Red Watch said:

Yesterday Albion Rovers were the bookies' pre-season favourites to occupy the trapdoor slot at season-end.

The way things are going I anticipate they will be revising their odds very soon.

they seem to be struggling to pull a squad together. They named 11 trialists today (12 yesterday)

8 hours ago, headthebaw said:

they seem to be struggling to pull a squad together. They named 11 trialists today (12 yesterday)

What a shambles 

If we can't stay ahead of that don't deserve to be in league