Stirling Albion Thread

4 minutes ago, BazMac said:

Ryan Wallace released by East Fife.  Another player who played for the manager at Albion Rovers and East Fife. I can see him signing for us.

Could see it. Only 2 strikers in the squad at the time, would think DY would want to bring in at least one more 

Guest AberhillEnd
24 minutes ago, BazMac said:

Ryan Wallace released by East Fife.  Another player who played for the manager at Albion Rovers and East Fife. I can see him signing for us.

I wouldn't put money on it

1 hour ago, BazMac said:

Have a look at the East Fife site before you go wishing for that signing???????

8 hours ago, BazMac said:

I doubt it very much.East Fife were relegated to league 2.We dont need any more of their players.I would hope that the last few signings are of reasonable quality and not just to make up numbers.

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Alright lads, was Mason Hancock on loan at you guys?He’s signing for us I believe, what like is he?

He was a classic act during his few months with us, a rolls Royce at Left Back. Too good for League 2 and sadly he joined a side that was pretty much in free fall, but take nothing away from him. Will be interesting to see how he gets on higher up, certainly deserves the chance.

So. Horsed 4-1 at Alloa. I didn’t see any trialists in the starting 11, and the club didn’t list any substitutions on Twitter. 

In last 3 weeks we appear to have signed one left back from Annan and that’s it. We have 2 strikers in total. 

The budget is apparently up 25% on last season yet we can’t attract players. Things aren’t looking too good. Is it going to be yet another season of pish?

1 hour ago, BinoBalls said:

So. Horsed 4-1 at Alloa. I didn’t see any trialists in the starting 11, and the club didn’t list any substitutions on Twitter. 

In last 3 weeks we appear to have signed one left back from Annan and that’s it. We have 2 strikers in total. s disposal 
The budget is apparently up 25% on last season yet we can’t attract players. Things aren’t looking too good. Is it going to be yet another season of pish?

Echo your thoughts entirely, given the budget DY has at disposal, clearly one the the best in this League, I would have though recruitment would not be a problem. 

Lets hope things start to move quickly on the squad front before the start of the season. 

16 minutes ago, rhliston said:

Echo your thoughts entirely, given the budget DY has at disposal, clearly one the the best in this League, I would have though recruitment would not be a problem. 

Lets hope things start to move quickly on the squad front before the start of the season. 

Took in the game last night and thought at times stirling were knocking the ball about well without a real cutting edge and Alloa took chances. If you're gonna rely on Robert Thompson getting you goals I think you'll struggle as he's nvr been prolific, although can do a job with someone beside him,  he's a bit like Connor sammon In that respect 

I was impressed by the number 10 for Albion, 

I try and not read to much into Pre-Season games, I’ve been carried away before only to be let down and vice versa, but I did leave The Recs a wee bit concerned last night.

The squad is light weight as you said, especially up front. Not sure who number 14 was…..was he a Trialist or was that Ross Davidson playing further forward and then dropping back when the young lad came on? I don’t know, but it was clear we are 1 or 2 short there. Carrack & Thomson have had their injury problems over the years so we can’t have an over reliance on those 2. 

I genuinely don’t know what our budget is, I would hazard a guess that it’s in line with some clubs and more than others, but I was expecting an exciting playmaker to have been brought in, a Trouten or an Ally Love, dare I say it, a Craig Bryson from a higher league….the fact we haven’t showed last night. Yes the Alloa keepers had to look lively a couple of times, Thomson also hit the post, but really we missed that spark and I have a real fear that this cutting edge is going to haunt us.

I think Wee Wasp is right, I think we were neat and tidy and on top for long spells of the game but, as has been said, we lacked that cutting edge. Leitch worked hard and tried, but can’t be expected to do it all. Plus when the fouls happen or it just doesn’t happen for him, there doesn’t seem to be anyone else.

Positives, and there were positives. I thought the 3 new signings down the left (Clark, Denholm & Thomson) linked up well and showed good understanding. Clark isn’t a player that I know, despite being at Annan, but very early signs suggest he looks a player. It’ll be interesting to see how that trio builds. Thought Carrick again looked more effective through the middle and had the bit between his teeth and linked up well with Thomson and Leitch.

As I said, I never know where we stand during pre-season, but last night left me a bit concerned, then you leave The Recs and are confronted by “ultras” wanting a fight, Primary School children throwing insults and abuse at you as you walk to your car, before scarpering from the police…..makes me wonder why I bother! 

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

“ultras”

Daft wee laddies that the majority we  will not see again for the rest of the season .

Like Wee Wasp i thought you spread the ball around well at times 

A bit like East fife did last season too ( sorry i know you signed some of them ) but with no end product 

you seemed to give up most of the 2nd half 

it is just a friendly mind ,  its difficult to accept any defeat as a fan 

I like Thomson and would have been happy to see him stay here before he left for stenny 

Worth a punt when you look at his record at that level. Seeing his photo on Twitter, he was the number 14 who played yesterday. Good luck to him, some times these obscure signings work, some times they don't but it's always worth the punt in my opinion.

10 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I try and not read to much into Pre-Season games, I’ve been carried away before only to be let down and vice versa, but I did leave The Recs a wee bit concerned last night.

The squad is light weight as you said, especially up front. Not sure who number 14 was…..was he a Trialist or was that Ross Davidson playing further forward and then dropping back when the young lad came on? I don’t know, but it was clear we are 1 or 2 short there. Carrack & Thomson have had their injury problems over the years so we can’t have an over reliance on those 2. 

I genuinely don’t know what our budget is, I would hazard a guess that it’s in line with some clubs and more than others, but I was expecting an exciting playmaker to have been brought in, a Trouten or an Ally Love, dare I say it, a Craig Bryson from a higher league….the fact we haven’t showed last night. Yes the Alloa keepers had to look lively a couple of times, Thomson also hit the post, but really we missed that spark and I have a real fear that this cutting edge is going to haunt us.

I think Wee Wasp is right, I think we were neat and tidy and on top for long spells of the game but, as has been said, we lacked that cutting edge. Leitch worked hard and tried, but can’t be expected to do it all. Plus when the fouls happen or it just doesn’t happen for him, there doesn’t seem to be anyone else.

Positives, and there were positives. I thought the 3 new signings down the left (Clark, Denholm & Thomson) linked up well and showed good understanding. Clark isn’t a player that I know, despite being at Annan, but very early signs suggest he looks a player. It’ll be interesting to see how that trio builds. Thought Carrick again looked more effective through the middle and had the bit between his teeth and linked up well with Thomson and Leitch.

As I said, I never know where we stand during pre-season, but last night left me a bit concerned, then you leave The Recs and are confronted by “ultras” wanting a fight, Primary School children throwing insults and abuse at you as you walk to your car, before scarpering from the police…..makes me wonder why I bother! 

Ross Davidson has just been given the all clear to start training after an operation. Looks like it could be a while before we see him. 

Agree with your comments about a playmaker. Think we're short of a couple of creative players atm.

9 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Worth a punt when you look at his record at that level. Seeing his photo on Twitter, he was the number 14 who played yesterday. Good luck to him, some times these obscure signings work, some times they don't but it's always worth the punt in my opinion.

I'm not going to diss a player I haven't seen. I'm not going to sing his praises either.   We were never going to get through the coming season with only two strikers though, so please let him be a good one. (Danny Burns) I don't believe our problem in attracting yet another one is money. I think it may well be another all too public internal war and a public inquisition over finance.

I agree with GMCA about needing someone who can make things happen in midfield too. We might.....  and I stress MIGHT......, attract one, if  the man baby crap ceased on BOTH sides of the board wars and some grown ups  got into the room and put an end to it.  The only thing the Trust board has really got on the club board, the club board supplied themselves, but disenfranchising the entire membership was no way to defend any illusion of democracy within the Trust. 

I am underwhelmed with hope for an adult solution, that will set  DY free of all the partisan crap that defines us in public right now. If that offends either side, or both, I can live with it.

8 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

I'm not going to diss a player I haven't seen. I'm not going to sing his praises either.   We were never going to get through the coming season with only two strikers though, so please let him be a good one. (Danny Burns) I don't believe our problem in attracting yet another one is money. I think it may well be another all too public internal war and a public inquisition over finance.

I agree with GMCA about needing someone who can make things happen in midfield too. We might.....  and I stress MIGHT......, attract one, if  the man baby crap ceased on BOTH sides of the board wars and some grown ups  got into the room and put an end to it.  The only thing the Trust board has really got on the club board, the club board supplied themselves, but disenfranchising the entire membership was no way to defend any illusion of democracy within the Trust. 

I am underwhelmed with hope for an adult solution, that will set  DY free of all the partisan crap that defines us in public right now. If that offends either side, or both, I can live with it.

We had Danny a number of years ago for a couple of seasons, played mainly as a winger. He is fast and will work hard. Saw him a few times last season for Shotts and he still looks the same. They only thing I will say is don't use his goals last season as a barometer as the WOSFL had conferences below the top league for one season and some of the teams in our conference (we won comfortably clear of Shotts) were of a very poor standard and there were plenty of mismatches.

Lovely lad who will give you his all and hopefully it works out.

8 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

I’m hoping at our level — where players are part time and signing for 1 season — that off field discontent won’t really be influencing anyone much. Let’s face it we appear to be very financially secure, probably more than most clubs. The issue is the tiresome war between the 2 boards. 

However if the in-fighting is genuinely causing us to struggle to recruit decent players then someone is sooner or later going to need to swallow their pride and step aside to try and find a way to unify the club. There are some divisive figures on both sides.

The fans have suffered over a decade of dross now, we can’t keep wasting season after season because people would rather be protecting their own status or threatening the other side than doing what’s best for the football club.

I'm not convinced that unrest behind the scenes is a major factor in signings or lack of. Doesn't seem like our recruitment is that different to the other teams in the division.

Not that it helps anything though. It would obviously be better if everyone was on the same page.

I doubt it has a positive effect on season ticket renewals.

Agree with WattersIsGod, and quite frankly the players probably don't care about boards as long as they are getting paid. Players go to clubs because of the Manager and plans he has for him, the contract being right and sometimes other players in the dressing room that they know. Outside factors like travel comes into it and depending on the player and the club, clubs might be able to attract players because it's a step up in level or maybe the move just excites them. I've never once spoke to a player that has given any consideration to the Boardroom and behind the scenes going on when considering a move.

The manager was quoted as saying we've missed out on a couple of targets. Don't know the reasons of course, and it's not unusual for that to happen.

I take the point about players perhaps not bothering about off field issues, but I wonder if agents may influence them a bit. If some off field shitfest happens that affects a team's performance, players' reputations can take a hit. It seems there are fewer players available this close season, so reasonable players may have a better choice, and our issues may make us less appealing. That, and the fact we've been dugmeat for ages of course.

Having said all that, Leagues 1 and 2 transfer activity feels as if it's been a bit slow. Maybe a good few players are hedging their bets still, and we'll get a couple of gems in soon.