Stirling Albion Thread

19 hours ago, Neilly said:

Stirling have signed Robert Thomson apparently.

You might be right, I wouldn't know.  Sore on you just missing out on the play offs. Just one  more win would have got you there. Football can be cruel for fans and you have my empathy on that one.  Consistency is everything and we were found a lot more wanting than you.

21 minutes ago, gmca said:

Not quite as much of a cull as I expected. Going by the chairman's twitter, the rest of the squad have been offered terms for next season.

Thought one or two defenders might have been on the released list, but the manager seems to think they can all do a job. Midfield and upfront have been pretty weak imo, so looks as if DY is looking to improve there. 

Hope he's successful in doing that!

Don't forget Omar and Scally had already been culled. Bikey lost for personal reasons. That's a lot of bodies gone overall.

55 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

It looks like a major rebuild in progress and I can't say I disapprove of that. It's all about who Darren brings in now and perhaps who's yet to be persuaded to sign back on. 

From what I've seen Darren wants the ball played mainly on the deck and I can't say I disapprove of that either.  It's all wait and see for me, as I have no idea who is coming in and who might yet be going. Just a glimpse of how Darren wants the game played and a list of players he saw as not up to it.

With the season over and contracts up, he's hopefully got better quality to go after than was available to him when he took over. He's created the space for them that's for sure. Good hunting Darren.

Not sure it's a major rebuild. By my reckoning, there are 13 first team squad members remaining who haven't been released (not including Aaron Dunsmore about whom nothing has been said so far). Some of those won't resign I would imagine, but that's where we are as it stands.

9 of those 13 are goalkeepers and defenders.

16 minutes ago, gmca said:

Not sure it's a major rebuild. By my reckoning, there are 13 first team squad members remaining who haven't been released (not including Aaron Dunsmore about whom nothing has been said so far). Some of those won't resign I would imagine, but that's where we are as it stands.

9 of those 13 are goalkeepers and defenders.

That raises the question of Kyle Banner. If he's being retained, is it as a defender or a midfielder?  If it's for midfield I can just about understand it.  If it's as a centre half I don't understand that at all.  Utility player? A bit of a head scratcher for me that one?  

I'm guessing McLean, McGeachie, McNiff and possibly McGregor and Cummins will be staying. Just a guess though. I think a minimum back four at least is liable to be retained, additions to follow.  What do you make of it?

11 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

That raises the question of Kyle Banner. If he's being retained, is it as a defender or a midfielder

I hope so as a midfielder - been a revelation of a player since being moved forward. Deserves a new contact for me 

1 minute ago, TheWestStand said:

I hope so as a midfielder - been a revelation of a player since being moved forward. Deserves a new contact for me 

He was certainly a bomb scare of a centre half, but does look a lot better in midfield.  

i would hope that the list of players released is only the first tranche. If not, twelve of the charlatans, excluding goalkeepers,  that had us on the fringes of the relegation play off spot for a spell and saw us finish at the dizzy height of Scotland's 39th best placed team are going to be around Forthbank again next season. It's not a great start to team building by using the same failures again.

22 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

i would hope that the list of players released is only the first tranche. If not, twelve of the charlatans, excluding goalkeepers,  that had us on the fringes of the relegation play off spot for a spell and saw us finish at the dizzy height of Scotland's 39th best placed team are going to be around Forthbank again next season. It's not a great start to team building by using the same failures again.

Not having a back four due to injuries and a lack of cover was one of the main reasons we fell apart. Do you really expect the manager to release every defender and go hunting for an entire new back four plus adequate cover?  No manager in his right mind would do that.  No one in their right mind would expect him to.

1 hour ago, WC Boggs said:

That raises the question of Kyle Banner. If he's being retained, is it as a defender or a midfielder?  If it's for midfield I can just about understand it.  If it's as a centre half I don't understand that at all.  Utility player? A bit of a head scratcher for me that one?  

I'm guessing McLean, McGeachie, McNiff and possibly McGregor and Cummins will be staying. Just a guess though. I think a minimum back four at least is liable to be retained, additions to follow.  What do you make of it?

The West Stand has answered the Banner question for me. Had counted him as a defender, but the manager I'm sure intends to use him as a defensive midfielder. It's still a new role for him, so hopefully he develops even more next season. Could be a big player for us.

I always like to see 4 central defenders in a squad. McLean, McGregor, Cummins and McNiff should be okay for this level. We badly missed McLean this season. Would like an upgrade on one of those 4, but wouldn't have the dread if we went in with those 4 in place. Left back needs to be a priority I think. Obviously miss Hancock, but full backs/wing backs are so important in the modern game.

Midfield and upfront need to show a big improvement on last season. Moore, Flanagan, Leitch and Carrick are all decent players, but, from what I saw and heard from others, they all mostly underperformed. I expected to see a couple of them released, but they're all capable and might fare better in a team that's more solid at the back and with better players around them than those who were released.

As ever the summer transfer window is one of the most important times in the year. Hopefully DY has a master plan, and gets all his targets.

30 minutes ago, gmca said:

The West Stand has answered the Banner question for me. Had counted him as a defender, but the manager I'm sure intends to use him as a defensive midfielder. It's still a new role for him, so hopefully he develops even more next season. Could be a big player for us.

I always like to see 4 central defenders in a squad. McLean, McGregor, Cummins and McNiff should be okay for this level. We badly missed McLean this season. Would like an upgrade on one of those 4, but wouldn't have the dread if we went in with those 4 in place. Left back needs to be a priority I think. Obviously miss Hancock, but full backs/wing backs are so important in the modern game.

Midfield and upfront need to show a big improvement on last season. Moore, Flanagan, Leitch and Carrick are all decent players, but, from what I saw and heard from others, they all mostly underperformed. I expected to see a couple of them released, but they're all capable and might fare better in a team that's more solid at the back and with better players around them than those who were released.

As ever the summer transfer window is one of the most important times in the year. Hopefully DY has a master plan, and gets all his targets.

Pretty much agree. I'm not a fan of Flanagan. Inconsistent as hell. I don't see any outstanding abilities in Moore.  Carrick suffered from being played behind Mackin or out wide. I think he's got a lot to offer given the chance. 

I guess we'll be waiting for the outcome of the playoffs before we hear much (unless it's only east Fife rejects we're interested in)

If annan and forfar stay down and we've got cash to burn then I hope we'd maybe look at enticing Slater or moxon.  Mind you forfar and Annan also have a few quid behind them so it would be up to DY to try to persuade players of that calibre to come to Forthbank.

Those two with Flanagan and another wide player - I'm not a fan of Moore although he's improved since DY came in and gave him an extended run in the team - and Thomson and Carrick up top might be quite tasty.  I really like Chris Johnston at annan too although I suspect he must be a bit inconsistent or he wouldn't still be plying his trade in league 2 

I'd be looking at Greg Fleming too - to keep the annan vibe going.  Always liked him.  

Unfortunately I'm not au fait enough with the players in the lower reaches of league 1 - eg Dumbarton or Clyde - to suggest potential recruits from there

Will also be hoping DY uses the loan market effectively as he certainly unearthed a diamond in young Hancock.

I'd be looking at Greg Fleming too - to keep the annan vibe going.  Always liked him.  

Fleming lives literally a stones through from Galabank, doubt he’d leave Annan for another Part Time gig these days.

10 hours ago, gmca said:

Not quite as much of a cull as I expected. Going by the chairman's twitter, the rest of the squad have been offered terms for next season.

Thought one or two defenders might have been on the released list, but the manager seems to think they can all do a job. Midfield and upfront have been pretty weak imo, so looks as if DY is looking to improve there. 

Hope he's successful in doing that!

Who from the defence do you want rid of ? , as a unit they’re actually not that bad when they’re all fit, it’s what’s  in front of them that’s let them down . 

Who from the defence do you want rid of ? , as a unit they’re actually not that bad when they’re all fit, it’s what’s  in front of them that’s let them down . 

Would agree with this and from memory, across the season there was a good number of goals conceded when we simply couldn’t contain the pressure anymore as every out ball came right back to the Defence to deal with. We need a Left Back of course, but I honestly think we are well covered for Defenders and would be happy to see them all re-sign.

7 hours ago, #GSC said:

Yeah, was just being greedy, hoping for better than what we have. Agree with what you say, and said in a later post I wouldn't have the dread if we went in with our current central defenders. A fit McLean would help too.

A busy night tonight then. Callum Law, Ross McGeachie, Jordan McGregor, Jack Leitch, Kieran Moore & Dale Carrick all signing on for next season.

I’m honestly over the moon with the news, with the exception of Law, those were the “big hitters” for me last season and the ones that I felt you could build a team around. Couple of others I would like to see announced, itching for Blair Currie and would be happy with McLean and McNiff but delighted with those retained and released so far.

From memory, this will be Ross McGeachie’s 10th season, so surely a testimonial will be in place for him, but I’m sure the contract isn’t given on testament.