Stirling Albion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on Cammy Binnie at Albion Rovers

After the weekend v Cowdenbeath, in all competitions he has had to face 22 penalties including shootouts

10 have been missed with Binnie directly saving 8 of them a record not too many keepers will have at any level

The story I heard was Rovers were looking at your other keeper but were delighted when Binnie became available

Do you think Stirling let the right keeper go?

2 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Just an update on Cammy Binnie at Albion Rovers

After the weekend v Cowdenbeath, in all competitions he has had to face 22 penalties including shootouts

10 have been missed with Binnie directly saving 8 of them a record not too many keepers will have at any level

The story I heard was Rovers were looking at your other keeper but were delighted when Binnie became available

Do you think Stirling let the right keeper go?

maybe, maybe not. Binnie had his faults but overall he was probably slightly better. We don't know what was behind the decision. Was he released or did he want something KR couldn't guarantee him.

A word of advice. 

Stop giving away penalties!

Great to hear that Cammy is doing well at Albion Rovers, a good keeper and a good lad, who I believe could go on to play at a slightly higher level than League 2.

So to answer the question, do you think Stirling let the right keeper go…..really I’m not sure because Blair Currie is also a good keeper, that I’m personally happy with and as headthebaw said, we don’t know the reason why Blair was chosen over Cammy. There probably isn’t much between them in ability, as KR said time and time again last season “both are number ones”.

In an ideal world, I would still have both at the club, Cammy has the added status of being “one of our own”, it’s a hard one but I’m just glad to see both Cammy and Blair doing well, chuffed for them both.

On 24/12/2021 at 08:39, BB_Bino said:

Great to hear that Cammy is doing well at Albion Rovers, a good keeper and a good lad, who I believe could go on to play at a slightly higher level than League 2.

So to answer the question, do you think Stirling let the right keeper go…..really I’m not sure because Blair Currie is also a good keeper, that I’m personally happy with and as headthebaw said, we don’t know the reason why Blair was chosen over Cammy. There probably isn’t much between them in ability, as KR said time and time again last season “both are number ones”.

In an ideal world, I would still have both at the club, Cammy has the added status of being “one of our own”, it’s a hard one but I’m just glad to see both Cammy and Blair doing well, chuffed for them both.

I thought Cammy was decent as well, and KR clearly rated him which is why he was our number one last season ahead of Currie.

But when it comes to deciding whether to stay with the club or not, perhaps he thought he had to move on after daft comments from the Chairman who called him out personally for a mistake he made (https://www.stirlingalbionfc.co.uk/inside-the-box-stranraer-1-may-2021/).

Brown's comment was ill-judged and singling out Binnie was harsh, especially given the way the whole team was playing at the end of last season. Personally I don't think the chairman should be criticising the players. If the manager really wants to have a go at the players then by all means go ahead, as that's his remit to manage them. But for the Chairman to be criticising the players doesn't send out a great message. And I think Cammy's performances across the season had almost certainly saved us more points than he'd cost us.

It's also been mentioned on this thread already (pages 161 and 162) that Cammy may have turned down a new contract, so maybe the decision over which keeper to let go wasn't ours to make. Either way I'm glad to see he's doing well, as he always came across a good lad whenever he spoke.

2 hours ago, Landry Zahanioni said:

I thought Cammy was decent as well, and KR clearly rated him which is why he was our number one last season ahead of Currie.

But when it comes to deciding whether to stay with the club or not, perhaps he thought he had to move on after daft comments from the Chairman who called him out personally for a mistake he made (https://www.stirlingalbionfc.co.uk/inside-the-box-stranraer-1-may-2021/).

Brown's comment was ill-judged and singling out Binnie was harsh, especially given the way the whole team was playing at the end of last season. Personally I don't think the chairman should be criticising the players. If the manager really wants to have a go at the players then by all means go ahead, as that's his remit to manage them. But for the Chairman to be criticising the players doesn't send out a great message. And I think Cammy's performances across the season had almost certainly saved us more points than he'd cost us.

It's also been mentioned on this thread already (pages 161 and 162) that Cammy may have turned down a new contract, so maybe the decision over which keeper to let go wasn't ours to make. Either way I'm glad to see he's doing well, as he always came across a good lad whenever he spoke.

I agree with you entirely. I have always liked to think Binnie himself made the decision.  Re  incident most fans had probably done the arithmetic.  But that leads on to whatabootery.  The red card in August, the injuries in September, players no turnin' up etc, etc.  NEWSFLASH Chairman makes ill-judged comment. Not unique to SAFC. Not his first and probably not his last.

What intrigues me about Cammy at AR is a contributer previously stated , I thought he would have went to a better club.

Now that could be ill-judged.

C

Rabin Omar’s contract has been mutually terminated by the club. Can’t say I’m too surprised or disappointed with the news, I mean no disrespect to the guy but since coming to the club, his performances have been poor and pretty non effective.

Wish him well for the future and look forward to seeing who his replacement will be.

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

Rabin Omar’s contract has been mutually terminated by the club. Can’t say I’m too surprised or disappointed with the news, I mean no disrespect to the guy but since coming to the club, his performances have been poor and pretty non effective.

Wish him well for the future and look forward to seeing who his replacement will be.

Always thought he was a decent player, shame to see he hasn’t worked out with you lot, especially after his stint at Morton didn’t go well. Always wanted to see him at Clyde but for obvious reasons it will likely never happen.