Stirling Albion Thread

Following up on the announcement, I want to pay tribute to all those who have been involved in providing SAFC's excellent streaming service since Covid.

The cessation is bad news for those of us who still regard attending events as too risky, but I could see that the numbers of users dropped significantly when it returned to being a personal judgment whether to attend games.

(I really don't get the restraint-on-trade position of UEFA/SFA etc., however. It is unlikely in the extreme that the enticement of any streamed Scottish League Two fixture is going to result in rows of empty seats at Old Trafford, Prenton Park, etc., but there we are.)

Having used all the league 2 streaming services last season I have to say that Stirling had the best which is no doubt due to the significant costs incurred.

Rovers one is reasonably good these days but has, I suspect much lower running costs and these are covered by our benefactor in any case.

I expect the geo lock will be expanded to all UK and perhaps some European countries too next season.

On 25/08/2021 at 16:01, Ally_D said:

Following up on the announcement, I want to pay tribute to all those who have been involved in providing SAFC's excellent streaming service since Covid.

The cessation is bad news for those of us who still regard attending events as too risky, but I could see that the numbers of users dropped significantly when it returned to being a personal judgment whether to attend games.

(I really don't get the restraint-on-trade position of UEFA/SFA etc., however. It is unlikely in the extreme that the enticement of any streamed Scottish League Two fixture is going to result in rows of empty seats at Old Trafford, Prenton Park, etc., but there we are.)

Sorry to Stirling Albion closing their streaming service for the time being. It was a good service, and Ben McAdam was a talented host, but I understand their reasons behind its cessation.

I wonder what the drop-off in numbers are like for other League 2 clubs since restrictions have been lifted? For example, I imagine almost everyone who wanted to watch Stenhousemuir -vs- Cowdenbeath would have been at the game?

On 25/08/2021 at 16:01, Ally_D said:

The issue is surely the other way round though - streaming Scottish League 2 games might not affect the attendance at Old Trafford, but streaming games from Old Trafford would almost certainly have an impact on Scottish League 2. If anything, it's the Scottish lower league clubs who should be fighting for the retention of this rule in the long-term (even if it's not ideal now).

I can tell you, without a shadow of a doubt, that Stirling has the audience to continue streaming.

I've probably got the lowest cost base of any team with the streaming method I set up and it's well worth the while to continue it.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The issue is surely the other way round though - streaming Scottish League 2 games might not affect the attendance at Old Trafford, but streaming games from Old Trafford would almost certainly have an impact on Scottish League 2. If anything, it's the Scottish lower league clubs who should be fighting for the retention of this rule in the long-term (even if it's not ideal now).

Isn't the detriment on the Scottish game from attention and availability of games elsewhere already fully worked through? Those going to matches, especially lower league, are unlikely to be swayed by a Big Game elsewhere. Even when a freezing winter midweek game clashes with a match between European Super League would-bes, I don't think that has a significant impact on crowds. 

It is worth being wary of authorities claiming benevolence to justify their protectionist rulings, especially when its practical impact is to limit the less powerful from adopting new options.

15 minutes ago, Ally_D said:

Isn't the detriment on the Scottish game from attention and availability of games elsewhere already fully worked through? Those going to matches, especially lower league, are unlikely to be swayed by a Big Game elsewhere. Even when a freezing winter midweek game clashes with a match between European Super League would-bes, I don't think that has a significant impact on crowds. 

It is worth being wary of authorities claiming benevolence to justify their protectionist rulings, especially when its practical impact is to limit the less powerful from adopting new options.

This is not something new though, it's something that has existed basically ever since broadcasting football was a thing and the reason it was there was to prevent clubs from having to compete with televised games.

The only thing Stirling Albion are being prevented from here is broadcasting their games in England, which I doubt forms a massive part of their customer base.

Edited by craigkillie

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The only thing Stirling Albion are being prevented from here is broadcasting their games in England, which I doubt forms a massive part of their customer base.

We're actually massive in England and throughout continental Europe.

Ciaran Summers playing his last game for the club yesterday, KR announced in his interview that he has accepted a job opportunity in England. It’s a pity for us, as on yesterday’s performance (his first start for the club) he looked like he was going to be a really good addition, but fair play to him, some things are more important and I hope everything works out for him.

5 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Ciaran Summers playing his last game for the club yesterday, KR announced in his interview that he has accepted a job opportunity in England. It’s a pity for us, as on yesterday’s performance (his first start for the club) he looked like he was going to be a really good addition, but fair play to him, some things are more important and I hope everything works out for him.

I'm gutted at this. On yesterday's evidence, Summers offered a lot more to the LB role than what McNiff has shown, albeit McNiff has done ok there so far. I'd rather see him at CB. But it is what it is, always the risk of this with part time players. 

At least we'll be spared of the managers horrendous pronounciation of his christian name though 🤣

21 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

That’s disappointing. He looked like a proper full back. McNiff doesn’t have much of an engine to be in that position. Clyde fans warned us McNiff was effective at CB but not up to full back anymore. 

Hopefully we will sign someone else but might be hard to find quality that’s available at this stage. 

Absolutely no time for that cup since the introduction of B Teams and clubs out with Scotland (in years gone by) so not too fussed about yesterday’s result. However it’s pleasing to see 5 players in the youth set up getting a chance to force their way into the managers plans and going by his after match interview, it would appear that they are very much in his thoughts and he was impressed.

3 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Leon Watson has joined you guys on loan from Hearts until January https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/watson-joins-binos-on-loan.

Played a few times in pre-season and is highly rated, youth Scotland international as well. Good luck to him, and you.

Good wee player, think he'll do well at this level. Good signing, hopefully. 

Everyone is at risk from contracting Covid or being required to self-isolate due to being identified as a close contact and Stirling Albion’s management, coaches and players are no exception. Indeed I am aware that, last week, around 50% of SPFL 42 clubs had one (or more) confirmed case.

Given the continuing rise in positive cases, it is virtually inevitable that there will be players and/or staff missing on a match day and I can confirm that the Club will not be making public any details in respect of the personnel involved.

I would respectfully ask our supporters to show respect for an individual’s right to privacy, for himself and his family, by not publicly speculating on social media as to the reason for any absences.

From the official website.  https://www.stirlingalbionfc.co.uk/covid-statement/

I'm curious... why the privacy?

Not that I'm particularly interested in being updated which players do or do not have covid... I just can't work out why the secrecy?

10 hours ago, BazMac said:

From the official website.  https://www.stirlingalbionfc.co.uk/covid-statement/

I'm curious... why the privacy?

Not that I'm particularly interested in being updated which players do or do not have covid... I just can't work out why the secrecy?

I think most clubs don't name any of their players, and that seems reasonable to me.

Can only imagine players maybe get some abusive trolling if they're suspected of having covid by speculation on social media, or that they just feel it's nobody's business knowing/speculating about their personal circumstances. 

Even writing that feels a bit lame though. There doesn't appear to be any stigma among the general population for anyone with covid, so I'm a bit baffled too as to why the club felt the need to issue a statement.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Query for Stirling Albion fans.

Was there a special opening game when Forthbank opened?

Yes, was against a Rangers XI on 31/07/1993. Game finished 2-2. More details on page 5 of this link.

https://celticmatchday.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/7TH-AUGUST-1993-1.pdf

• 5 weeks later...

One win in the last seven league games and we are clinging on to our play-off position. If KR doesn't sort this out quickly the teams around us will pull away and we won't make it again this season. There's still a lot of games to play but our form is worrying. Yes, players aren't performing as well as they have but some of them that looked like positive signings are failing to impress. Let's hope the manager has some solutions.

I'm not concerned about losing the odd game to a better side but today was very worrying. Kelty have won the league, so the only thing that matters is our form going into the play-offs (assuming we hold on to fourth).