Stirling Albion Thread

12 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Wasn't aware Paul Roberts did? I only recall those two goals away to St Johnstone and not a lot else, does my memory deceive me or did he fill in at centre half on occasion? 

Roberts was a legend at a couple of Player of the Year events when he was here. His impressions were top notch.

Sadly, more entertaining than anything he ever did on the pitch, other than that Monday night in Perth. 

Decent performance last night. Kept Hearts quiet for about an hour before we got quite visibly knackered and overrun in the last 20. Standouts for me were Jordan McGregor, Marc Laird and Bikey. Hopefully Bikey can keep that performance level up through the season, he'll cause bother in league 2 if he can. 

What a buzz being back in the ground last night though. That first ironic cheer when a Hearts player passed the ball out of play after about 5 minutes and celebrating the Albion clearing the ball off the line like we had scored in the second half were personal highlights. 

Now buzzing for the league to start and more than ready to be brought crashing back down to earth against Stenny next Saturday 😅

Agree with everything you said Snoddyisabino, I thought we were excellent last night and if we can keep those standards up through most weeks of the season then I’m sure we’ll have a lot to cheer come the end of it.

21 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

How was Chris Hamilton for you lads?

Unfair to judge him on his time with us, he arrived just in time for football to be stopped in January then appeared in most games in the rush to finish the season. Our team was being rotated every game and he might only have met some of the short term loans during match warm ups. We were disappointing in those games and he suffered in the general malaise.

Delighted for everyone at the club for the 2nd place League Cup finish tonight, especially the players and management staff, some of which have taken a fair amount of unwarranted stick over the past few months.

The performances give everyone confidence that this could be a good season, if these standards can be maintained over the coming months then it’s going to take some team to beat us. We all know that this is the time of the season where you need to tread with caution but there is certainly a lot to be hopeful about and after the first 4 games, there is certainly a lot to praise the players and management team for already.

Onto Ochilview next week.

I can't remember going into a season start with more confidence. 
In truth, we don't know how good the other sides are but i would imagine Kelty Hearts will pose a serious challenge.

Let’s hope we can do the business this season and finally get out of this f**king league. Our first home game is against Kelty, so it will be an interesting game. If we can manage to beat them, would certainly be a big boost.

• 3 weeks later...

What was Dave Mackay like as a manager for you? I know you ended up punting him but did he have a philosophy, was he an angry type, just in general what was he like with you guys other than ultimately, I assume, shite?

What was Dave Mackay like as a manager for you? I know you ended up punting him but did he have a philosophy, was he an angry type, just in general what was he like with you guys other than ultimately, I assume, shite?

First full season he was really good and had us playing a good brand of attacking football and the club seemed to be on the right lines with him, having Callumn Morrison on loan from Hearts made a huge difference, but we simply ran out of steam, stumbled over the line and flopped badly in the Play Offs against Peterhead.

The following season he seemed to lose the plot. Summer signings were awful, the season start was awful and in the end he was shown the door after a disastrous loss to an Albion Rovers side that were made up of lower Junior players and were the leagues whipping boys. The team had no identity or leadership by this point and he left it as bad as he found it.

He was laid back and relaxed in public.

15 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

First full season he was really good and had us playing a good brand of attacking football and the club seemed to be on the right lines with him, having Callumn Morrison on loan from Hearts made a huge difference, but we simply ran out of steam, stumbled over the line and flopped badly in the Play Offs against Peterhead.

The following season he seemed to lose the plot. Summer signings were awful, the season start was awful and in the end he was shown the door after a disastrous loss to an Albion Rovers side that were made up of lower Junior players and were the leagues whipping boys. The team had no identity or leadership by this point and he left it as bad as he found it.

Brilliant, cheers. Seems a shame that he seemed to undo his good work at the start.

17 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

In fairness, my recollection is that there were significant players carrying injuries into the playoffs (though which team doesn't?), but also that some carried into his final season - particularly Darren Smith who could otherwise have been expected to score goals, as he did when he recovered. And also that some of his signings came good for us afterwards (Danny Jardine, for example). But, as is often the case, he couldn't turn around a sustained period of poor form and a management change was beneficial.

18 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I agree with your view of his first season. 

My recollection is that Dave was undone in the close season by the fiasco that was the John Neill attempted takeover.  Neill had access to the dressing room and an input into that year's recruitment but without known funding Dave had no idea what was available for recruitment and if Neill did come in felt there would have been no place for him.

The only signing of note I can recall was that of an overpriced Mark Stewart at Neill's instigation and we can all remember how that turned out.

Politically, football-wise and administratively the club was at a low ebb and results showed it. Dave was an unfortunate casualty of the circus. Given his first year in charge and without the close season from hell I think he could have taken us forward, but results couldn't justify him continuing.

Daniel Scally signs for the Binos. Good addition imo. Thought he looked very lively, direct and forward thinking when I saw him for Forfar. Will get goals too.

Thanks for the info CR1922, not a player that I know so it’ll be interesting to see where he fits in and how he does.