Stirling Albion Thread

12 hours ago, rhliston said:

What about John Philliben to Doncaster Rovers can’t remember what we got for him, Brian Grant to Aberdeen, think one or two others as well.

That was a bit more than 20 years ago, we also sold Keith Walker, Robert Dawson, Willie Irvine from that that team.

in the last 20 years there was Alex Williams to Morton and Alex Bone to Ayr, although we did get AB back on loan soon after.

42 minutes ago, BinosCammy said:

Rabin Omar just signed from Morton

Hope he does well but not especially bowled over.  We've just lost our best player and main goal threat, wonder if we're planning to bring in a replacement or not.

Omar is a good player at this level. He's skillful and versatile, although best used as a number 10. His biggest flaws I'd say are his discipline which can let him down and he's not always consistent. His move to Morton was a bit bewildering, especially as they used him at wing-back and central midfield, but in this league he should do well.

Rabin Omar just signed from Morton

Another decent summer signing I would say, he impressed me playing for Annan and Elgin over the years and is another player that has the ability to make things happen.

On 29/06/2021 at 23:13, MrBeeno said:

Slightly disappointed  Andy has gone,but did appear to be injury prone towards the end of last season and was out with injuries when it really mattered.

He made 19 appearances in a 22 game season, so I'm not sure where you're getting injury prone from. Other than the impact injury he had in the second last game against Elgin which lead him to miss the Stranraer game, I can't remember him having a long lay off. If we are so reliant on one player missing one game, I think that says more about the rest of the team than it does Andy Ryan.

Overall, this is an absolute massive loss for us. Other than some flashes at the start of last season, we didn't play as a team and more or less relied on Ryan to score/assist on his own. I'd mentioned in another thread that we only picked up 5 points in games where Ryan didn't score or assist last season. That being said, we can offset him leaving by playing more as a team and sharing the goals around.

Will we do that? Probably not. Will we finish outside the play offs again despite building a decent side? Probably. Will the manager be gone by December and replaced by another jobber looking for his first gig in management? Probably. And I will spend numerous pennies watching in the hope that every single one of them proves me wrong. Mon the Binos

After browsing the comments over a lack of a goalscorer, I see your problem.  Today, you made a heap of chances but were just not sharp enough in the first half.  Your giant striker Dylan Mackin had a poor touch and worse finish..  When Bikey came on, he added a bit to the front line and pulled one back.

I was not too impressed by your number 5 McGregor.  Gave away a penalty and was given a torrid time by our number 9 Miller.

I don't know how many games your team has had so far but that was our first of the season and we gave 9 new players a chance over the 90 minutes

After browsing the comments over a lack of a goalscorer, I see your problem.  Today, you made a heap of chances but were just not sharp enough in the first half.  Your giant striker Dylan Mackin had a poor touch and worse finish..  When Bikey came on, he added a bit to the front line and pulled one back.
I was not too impressed by your number 5 McGregor.  Gave away a penalty and was given a torrid time by our number 9 Miller.
I don't know how many games your team has had so far but that was our first of the season and we gave 9 new players a chance over the 90 minutes

Pretty fair reflection I would say, I thought we created enough chances to be out of sight but it was not to be. Fair play to Bo’ness, they battled and took the chances that fell to them. They’ll have a good season in the LL on this showing and we’ll be happier with our phases of play rather than the actual result.

Who were Albion scorers today?

Bikey scored the first and Creaney scored the second

Saturday marks the start of competitive action for both sides when the Binos visit the Balmoral stadium. First time the Cove fans will be back in the ground since March 7th 2020.

I've been following League 2 a fair bit in the last year, regularly looking at this thread and others and have been impressed with the signings you've made. Strengthen the squad no doubt since we moved up. Leitch, Grant, Laird and Carrick from Airdrie should all do well and aid your promotion push this upcoming season. Already  got goals in Bikey and Mackin. Clearly losing Andy Ryan to Hamilton is a blow but recruited well in that area so should be fine. Were unfortunate to miss out on the playoffs.

Should be an interesting game. We have brought in Vigurs and Draper from County - both experienced heads, Morgyn Neill (CB) from Dumbarton and Robbie Leitch from Falkirk. The latter two might be subs. For me, I'm happy we've retained almost our fully squad from last year with the exception of loanees going back and Adam Livingstone going to Clyde.

All 3 of Cove's friendlies have been cancelled, and I think we've only trained once, so Saturday will be our first match since we agonisingly lost in the SF playoff match. Not sure what to expect.  

Our predicted starting lineup

McKenzie

Ross Draper Strachan Milne

Yule Vigurs Fyvie Masson

Megginson McAllister

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Saturday marks the start of competitive action for both sides when the Binos visit the Balmoral stadium. First time the Cove fans will be back in the ground since March 7th 2020.

I've been following League 2 a fair bit in the last year, regularly looking at this thread and others and have been impressed with the signings you've made. Strengthen the squad no doubt since we moved up. Leitch, Grant, Laird and Carrick from Airdrie should all do well and aid your promotion push this upcoming season. Already  got goals in Bikey and Mackin. Clearly losing Andy Ryan to Hamilton is a blow but recruited well in that area so should be fine. Were unfortunate to miss out on the playoffs.

Should be an interesting game. We have brought in Vigurs and Draper from County - both experienced heads, Morgyn Neill (CB) from Dumbarton and Robbie Leitch from Falkirk. The latter two might be subs. For me, I'm happy we've retained almost our fully squad from last year with the exception of loanees going back and Adam Livingstone going to Clyde.

All 3 of Cove's friendlies have been cancelled, and I think we've only trained once, so Saturday will be our first match since we agonisingly lost in the SF playoff match. Not sure what to expect.  

Our predicted starting lineup

McKenzie

Ross Draper Strachan Milne

Yule Vigurs Fyvie Masson

Megginson McAllister

Hoping for a better result than the last time we met!

These games are sort of competitive friendlies to me before the league season starts, but you still want to give a good account of yourselves.

Anyway, I see you still haven't got the striker to complement Megginson yet. Get a 10 to 15 goal target man and I'd expect you to be right up there challenging this season. Even with that line up, top 4 should be well within your reach.

Enjoy being back in the ground.

9 hours ago, gmca said:

Hoping for a better result than the last time we met!

These games are sort of competitive friendlies to me before the league season starts, but you still want to give a good account of yourselves.

Anyway, I see you still haven't got the striker to complement Megginson yet. Get a 10 to 15 goal target man and I'd expect you to be right up there challenging this season. Even with that line up, top 4 should be well within your reach.

Enjoy being back in the ground.

I missed that out as that result was a one off! Think it was actually the last game before COVID cancelled the season. 

Agreed on the competitive friendlies which is a shame because all fans want to see their clubs go as far as possible. Tough format for the L1/L2 sides and this season I think we are in one of, if not the toughest groups. 

Yes still short on striking options apart from Mitch. Rory is getting on a bit and I thought we'd address that but instead we've taken in an abundance of midfielders! Happy with the signings in large but the Cove fans were hopeful of another striker, might come via a loanee.

Will do although won't quite be the same without an away supporters.

On 05/07/2021 at 12:02, CoveRangers1922 said:

I missed that out as that result was a one off! Think it was actually the last game before COVID cancelled the season. 

Agreed on the competitive friendlies which is a shame because all fans want to see their clubs go as far as possible. Tough format for the L1/L2 sides and this season I think we are in one of, if not the toughest groups. 

Yes still short on striking options apart from Mitch. Rory is getting on a bit and I thought we'd address that but instead we've taken in an abundance of midfielders! Happy with the signings in large but the Cove fans were hopeful of another striker, might come via a loanee.

Will do although won't quite be the same without an away supporters.

Does Draper play CB these days or are you a bit short there? Glad to see you boys doing well at League 1 level. Confident of making the top 4?

What's your coverage like? Do you use pixellot? Got commentary?

32 minutes ago, dave_binos said:

Does Draper play CB these days or are you a bit short there? Glad to see you boys doing well at League 1 level. Confident of making the top 4?

What's your coverage like? Do you use pixellot? Got commentary?

I think he played in that position fairly often for Ross County but is more naturally a defensive centre mid. We are a bit short at CB and it's one of the only ways I see Hartley fitting Draper into the team on a regular basis. Masson, Fyvie, Vigurs, Yule will be our first pick midfield.

Was a solid first year in L1 and with Vigurs and Draper I think that expectation is to go for automatic promotion. Will be tough but hopefully achievable.

Is Pixellot. Commentary is generally very good and unbiased. Scott Davie, who commentated on Sportsound and Sportscene in the past, is the commentator (a Raith fan). Gives good updates from other games as well. 

Enjoy the game. I found out yesterday I need to stand behind the goal; normally stand alongside the side of pitch. Will be happy to just be there though!

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I think he played in that position fairly often for Ross County but is more naturally a defensive centre mid. We are a bit short at CB and it's one of the only ways I see Hartley fitting Draper into the team on a regular basis. I think Masson, Fyvie, Vigurs, Yule will be our first pick midfield.

Was a solid first year in L1 and with Vigurs and Draper I think that expectation is to go for automatic promotion. Will be tough but hopefully achievable.

Is Pixellot. Commentary is generally very good and unbiased. Scott Davie, who commentated on Sportsound and Sportscene in the past, is the commentator (a Raith fan). Gives good updates from other games as well. 

Enjoy the game. I found out yesterday I need to stand behind the goal; normally stand alongside the side of pitch. Will be happy to just be there though!

Cheers for the update. You've got some cracking players.

Is the pixellot coverage ok? I watched Elgin coverage with it last season and basically missed a quarter of the game.

7 minutes ago, dave_binos said:

Cheers for the update. You've got some cracking players.

Is the pixellot coverage ok? I watched Elgin coverage with it last season and basically missed a quarter of the game.

Mitch and Harry Milne are still our best players I think personally. Be good to see the new signings.

Pixelott has been fairly good for us. Definitely improved a little since the first few games. Does track the ball without almost an hiccups but saying that it's a single camera angle with no zoom so limited.