Stirling Albion Thread

Guest Peter LaFleur
3 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Grant could have his pick of any club in the bottom two divisions, so I doubt he's rocked up at Stirling for much reason beyond the wage. Very smart signing though and probably worth whatever small fortune he's been offered.

Agreed. I expected QP to be all over him.

1 hour ago, the_bully_wee said:

Grant could have his pick of any club in the bottom two divisions, so I doubt he's rocked up at Stirling for much reason beyond the wage. Very smart signing though and probably worth whatever small fortune he's been offered.

I don't think Grant is as good as Clyde fans suggest or as bad as some of our support would say. The idea he'd have his pick of League 1 is a bit over the top after a pretty mixed season with Alloa but for League 2 he is potentially a really good addition, I'd suspect he'd have had other options. 

Edited by Waspie

I don't think Grant is as good as Clyde fans suggest or as bad as some of our support would say. The idea he'd have his pick of League 1 is a bit over the top after a pretty mixed season with Alloa but for League 2 he is potentially a really good addition, I'd suspect he'd have had other options. 
Based on his two full seasons at Clyde - particularly his performances after adapting to League One - I don't think there's a single team in the bottom two tiers that he wouldn't improve. An underwhelming season in a comfortably relegated Alloa team in the Championship isn't going to dissuade most from holding that view.

30 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:
49 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Based on his two full seasons at Clyde - particularly his performances after adapting to League One - I don't think there's a single team in the bottom two tiers that he wouldn't improve. An underwhelming season in a comfortably relegated Alloa team in the Championship isn't going to dissuade most from holding that view.

Time will tell what kind of team we end up assembling for the season ahead but I wouldn't be particularly perturbed about Grant moving on. I actually defended him a fair bit when other Alloa fans were having a go and he does have talent, but he got more games last season than his displays merited. He was probably also on a hiding to nothing with us in trying to replace Iain Flannigan who was in a different class. Wish him all the best anyway, still fairly young and hope he continues to develop. 

I’ve only seen Grant play for Clyde against us, maybe once or twice, so probably not in the best position to judge him but with what I have seen, he was a standout player on his day.

I think this is a positive signing for the club, despite having a mixed season in the Championship for Alloa and is probably the type of player that’s been missing in the middle of the park for years, time will tell but looking forward to seeing how the move goes.

You all saw Kevin Nicoll for a season. Grant is literally the opposite of him. He'll keep the ball and reads the game brilliantly.  I'm actually not surprised he struggled a bit in the Championship as he lacks a bit of pace and dynamism but he'll absolutely stroll L2 (again). 

5 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

I'm very much looking forward to seeing how Kevin Rutkiewicz contrives to fall short of promotion next season. Where is Stirling's money coming from?

😂

has Danny Lennon not been sacked yet?

You all saw Kevin Nicoll for a season. Grant is literally the opposite of him. He'll keep the ball and reads the game brilliantly.  I'm actually not surprised he struggled a bit in the Championship as he lacks a bit of pace and dynamism but he'll absolutely stroll L2 (again). 

Over the years you’ve proven to be a good judge of player on these forums David so thank you for your feedback and Grant does indeed appear to be a good addition to our squad. Thank you

Martin McNiff signs for the Binos - good luck to Clyde Juniors in 2021/22 [emoji1756]

McNiff is a left-sided defender whose name you'll all probably recognise from him having spent the last eight years or so at Annan Athletic and then Clyde. He is a centre-back who is a very sound all-rounder and can also cover left-back in a pinch - he played there during the run-in of our promotion season, scoring double digits of goals over the campaign. In League One, though, his lack of pace left him horrifically exposed every time he played out there, but he remained a steady presence when deployed in the middle.

Every Clyde fan was sorry to see McNiff leave after so many appearances and his role in our promotion, but it was the right move for both parties. As long as he is used at centre-back, he'll be a right solid signing for the Binos and your strong Clyde promotion-winning contingent means I'll have a close eye on you lot next season.

He's not the best header of a ball. He's not the quickest. He's not the best on the ball. He doesn't really read the game superbly either.

However, he isn't the worst at any of those things and that makes him a very competent League 2 centre half. He has decent instincts attacking set pieces. I probably would have kept him at Clyde, certainly over the dud plodder we have offered a contract to.

Were you lot playing 3 at the back last season? Left sided centre half sorted.

1 hour ago, David W said:

He's not the best header of a ball. He's not the quickest. He's not the best on the ball. He doesn't really read the game superbly either.

However, he isn't the worst at any of those things and that makes him a very competent League 2 centre half. He has decent instincts attacking set pieces. I probably would have kept him at Clyde, certainly over the dud plodder we have offered a contract to.

Were you lot playing 3 at the back last season? Left sided centre half sorted.

We did play 3 at the back. This signing suggests McNiff will be the left sided of a back 3 next season as you suggest. The defence was arguably our strongest point last season. Hopefully McNiff will help us continue in that vein.