Stirling Albion Thread

4 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Not my business I know. You missed out by the slightest of margins for top 4, you weren’t far off second. Better to retain and build or wholesale change which a new manager would inevitably bring?

Retain and build. We have managed to keep hold of Ryan, Leitch and McGregor who are 3 our better players and could all perform at League 1 level IMO. I just have this feeling we will let go of players who should be staying and some players who will be kept on are mediocre at best.  

7 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Not my business I know. You missed out by the slightest of margins for top 4, you weren’t far off second. Better to retain and build or wholesale change which a new manager would inevitably bring?

Yes but it is a pattern of several years mid-table finishes when the target has clearly been set higher. And given that the record against the better teams in the division was dismal,especially since March, I doubt anyone really believes that this team would have been capable of coming through the playoffs if yourselves or Stranraer had dropped a couple more points.

11 minutes ago, rhliston said:

this squad should have been good enough to get into playoffs at least. Poor tactics from KR and the fact we struggled to score at home against teams in the top 5 cost us a chance of a place in the playoffs.

The Boards decision to give KR and his team a new contract without having achieved anything is quite astounding. The failure to get to playoffs brings into question the Boards ability to get this club out of this League. They have in effect rewarded failure

Extending the contracts probably looked deft and smart on March 28th when the season stood at W6 D4 L1.  But as they say, it is a mistake to assume past performance is indicative of future performance. And so it proved.

There has been a pattern over the past decade of extending management contracts too early.  It is commendable to appreciate those you are working with, maybe there's some Stockholm Syndrome between Board and management, I don't understand the dynamic. But these early extensions surely remove much fo the leverage for a frank end-of-season assessment where the management team are challenged to demonstrate exactly how they will do better next time, if they are given the opportunity.

Retain and build. We have managed to keep hold of Ryan, Leitch and McGregor who are 3 our better players and could all perform at League 1 level IMO. I just have this feeling we will let go of players who should be staying and some players who will be kept on are mediocre at best.  

Again if this is the case then question marks over KR ability to get this team out of this League, which ultimately is the goal. I had hoped KR would have improved the team to the point where at least we would have made progress to get into the playoffs as a minimum but the late loss of form especially at home where we struggled against teams around us cost us any chance of doing that.
Can KR turn this around if he is still their next year is the question, I hope so but if he doesn’t then it’s another wasted season.

Cammy Binnie, Dom Docherty and Scott Roberts, the first 3 names to be released of those leaving the club.

Wish the 3 well for the future, was hoping Binnie was going to stay.

Bit of a surprise Cammy Binnie leaving felt he played well in goals apart from 1 costly mistake. Good luck to him, no doubt be snapped up quickly.

Bit of a surprise Cammy Binnie leaving felt he played well in goals apart from 1 costly mistake. Good luck to him, no doubt be snapped up quickly.

I can only imagine he already has a better offer mate and that the decision was his. Total guess work but time will tell.

I can only imagine he already has a better offer mate and that the decision was his. Total guess work but time will tell.

Could be as you say just wait and see announced more signed up for next season, Ross MCGeachie, Paul McLean, Kerrion Mooore, Kurtis Robert’s. Blair Currie.

18 minutes ago, beano said:

if the club are actually serious about the airy fairy statement they issued theyd be keeping someone like binnie. stupid!

It's not as if the club didn't run into problems in the previous season with lack of cover for injured keepers. And having both Binnie and Currie at various points this season has been very necessary. 

A bit disappointing to see Cammy Binnie leave, a keeper I personally rate better than Blair Currie.

Am I correct in assuming he turned down a contract rather than just being released by the club? If the latter that would be really a  poor decision in my opinion. 

Can’t say the general public will know the answer to your question Flybhoy, but with what KR said about him over the season, we can only ASSUME that the decision to leave was down to Binnie.

Guest Peter LaFleur

What a fantastic signing for SA. Ray Grant dominated league 1 games at ease. Always looked excellent against Falkirk and expected him to go FT.