Stirling Albion Thread

Certainly useful additions to the squad, although without injuries in their positions I'd be surprised in any of them made the starting eleven. Given the fixture list in the next 7 weeks it won't be the quality of the first choice team that will see success or failure but the strength of the bench and back up players that will determine the prizes.

Obviously they are coming in due to Darrel not playing and it boosts the squad numbers for what is going to be a crazy few months, so it’s a good move all round.

Kirkpatrick was a player that impressed me when he was at Clyde, I was actually surprised to see he had dropped to that level, but maybe says more about the money you can pick up at Darvel rather than his actual ability.

On 18/03/2021 at 20:52, headthebaw said:

any more details on these players?

Meggatt will run through a brick wall for you gives 100% every game, started at QP as of course did your goal scorer on Saturday Moore. Hope they do not come back and haunt us.

Was delighted when I read this on Twitter yesterday. Ryan, Leitch and McGregor would be on everyone’s keep list I’m sure, but also fall into that bracket of being watched by other clubs so it’s great news that they are staying at Forthbank for another year.

Banner really has come on leaps and bounds over the past season and a bit and is quickly becoming something of an unsung hero, I believe he is a local lad as well so it’s great to have as many of those lads as possible associated with the club and I look forward to seeing his development continue.

Live streaming for the Stenhousemuir game is now available:

Stirling Albion v Stenhousemuir

Season ticket holders will have received a code for access or discounted access.

Non season ticket holders - £10 for the stream

The matchday programme is the one we printed for early January, which possibly makes this a collectors item in future (🤷‍♂️)

Stirling Albion v Stenhousemuir Match Programme

• 1 month later...

Another desperately poor finish to a season. As with the curtailed early-2020 games, since the 2021 resumption the team was losing as many as it won (and those generally against the teams at the bottom).

I enjoyed watching this season's team much more than the previous, there's been some players linking well going forward, but the really telling point is that in neither season was the management team capable of turning around poor form against the better teams.

4 hours ago, Ally_D said:

Another desperately poor finish to a season. As with the curtailed early-2020 games, since the 2021 resumption the team was losing as many as it won (and those generally against the teams at the bottom).

I enjoyed watching this season's team much more than the previous, there's been some players linking well going forward, but the really telling point is that in neither season was the management team capable of turning around poor form against the better teams.

Against the top 4 teams - 2 wins at Edinburgh City, 3 draws and 7 defeats. We couldn't score at Forthbank, 9 goals in 11 league games, then add that to defensive weakness after the restart, partly caused through injuries and it's a wonder that we managed to finish 5th. We brought in good players to start the season but struggled to create a cohesive unit out of them.

2 hours ago, AlbionMan said:

We brought in good players to start the season but struggled to create a cohesive unit out of them.

And achieved nothing better than the same mid-table position that has become the norm. Also unconvinced that Darvel was the place to look to strengthen the squad. It just seemed to unsettle whatever cohesion there had been.

Compare and contrast Arbroath and Montrose, two teams which were in the same morass and changing managers: a massive contrast in achievement since then.

7 hours ago, Ally_D said:

None of the four play off contenders were very consistent.
Edinburgh City started well with a 7-1-1 record after the break but then had one win and three losses after the split.
Elgin City had a poor 3-2-4 record after the break and performed the best of the four teams post split, winning three and losing just once.
Stranraer went 4-1-3 after the break and then 2-1-1 post split.
Stirling Albion meanwhile went 4-2-3 after the break but then 1-1-2 post split. 

I agree this season's team was very watchable - on their day I think Stirling and Stranraer played the most attractive football in the division.  I don't feel Stirling were any worse than the other three sides and I think that's reflected in the fact they only finished two points behind Edinburgh in second. 

I enjoyed watching this season's team much more than the previous,

This is where ai differ with you Ally_D although for long spells of the season it was “winning football” I don’t think I’ve enjoyed watching it since KR came in. I like him and the way he conducts himself and I want him to get it right, but I genuinely think the last enjoyable performance I watched was under Dave Mackay.

Under KR we are well organised and structured, but it’s built on not giving much away and I tend to think the players are playing in shackles.

A lot of times at Forthbank last season I switched off and my mind wandered, this season watching on the laptop, my mind wanders again. Yes we have some exciting players (you mentioned 2 in your comments) but our performances throughout KR’s reign have been far from exciting in my opinion, the odd 20 minutes or so but not for throughout games.

I back the board 100% and I will support KR because as I say, I want him to get things right, but I really wish the team would open up a bit for the full 90 minutes, be exciting and a bit expansive.

On 05/05/2021 at 18:21, BB_Bino said:

This is where ai differ with you Ally_D although for long spells of the season it was “winning football” I don’t think I’ve enjoyed watching it since KR came in. I like him and the way he conducts himself and I want him to get it right, but I genuinely think the last enjoyable performance I watched was under Dave Mackay.
Under KR we are well organised and structured, but it’s built on not giving much away and I tend to think the players are playing in shackles.
A lot of times at Forthbank last season I switched off and my mind wandered, this season watching on the laptop, my mind wanders again. Yes we have some exciting players (you mentioned 2 in your comments) but our performances throughout KR’s reign have been far from exciting in my opinion, the odd 20 minutes or so but not for throughout games.

I think the best football under KR was just after he started, when he was working with Mackay's squad. He seemed able to coax better from them - although he also reaped the benefit of significant players (D L Smith) coming back from injury.  After that initial period, everything seemed to sink into a mid-table norm, not helped by poor signings. The 19-20 team I found particularly hard going, with poor signings turning in performances that recalled some really tedious days out in the past (Gala, Hurlford).

This year's squad was better chosen and should have achieved more. Questions need to be asked why they didn't. Tonight's club statement pointing to injuries and the schedule  of games really doesn't hang together. I am sure each and every team had to safeguard against similar issues.

Edited by Ally_D
typo

1 hour ago, Ally_D said:

I think the best football under KR was just after he started, when he was working with Mackay's squad. He seemed able to coax better from them - although he also reaped the benefit of significant players (D L Smith) coming back from injury.  After that initial period, everything seemed to sink into a mid-table norm, not helped by poor signings. The 19-20 team I found particularly hard going, with poor signings turning in performances that recalled some really tedious days out in the past (Gala, Hurlford).

This year's squad was better chosen and should have achieved more. Questions need to be asked why they didn't. Tonight's club statement pointing to injuries and the schedule  of games really doesn't hang together. I am sure each and every team had to safeguard against similar issues.

I’d argue that if anything we were in a better position than other teams. Kirkpatrick, Eadie, Meggatt and Hamilton on loan from hearts in theory are 4 good signings to a squad that was already playing quite well and had a good depth. The only long term injury we had was to Paul McLean which was a sore one. But apart from that no one was out for a sustained period of time without there being a decent enough back up to replace them. For me this is the best Albion squad put together since the fan takeover - including the team that won the play offs at East Fife.

If I look at Stranraer in the game last Saturday, they only had 5 players on their bench. Apart from a small look at Greenhorn against QP we never had to rely on our youth players. Absolutely ridiculous to suggest that we were disadvantaged more than other teams. Cop out from the board who seem to be more interested in making excuses than admitting the fact that they made an arse of giving Kev a new contract before the season ended. 

We missed out on the play offs due to a persistence with 3 at the back which hasn’t worked in attack or defence since December, our inability to score at home, the fact that the goals we did score were basically just Andy Ryan assisting himself, and constantly bottling it against any team in the top half. Little to do with injuries, quite a lot to do with a poor manager IMO. I really really hope Kev proves me wrong next season but I’m skeptical to say the least. 

9 hours ago, Ally_D said:

We had a decent squad but I don't think we had a good team when games were tight and we needed to fight for a result. They were able to bully the bottom five teams - 26 points out if 30, against the top four they didn't compete - 10 points out of 36. We weren't unlucky with injuries and the schedule, just not good enough when it mattered.

4 hours ago, AlbionMan said:

We had a decent squad but I don't think we had a good team when games were tight and we needed to fight for a result. They were able to bully the bottom five teams - 26 points out if 30, against the top four they didn't compete - 10 points out of 36. We weren't unlucky with injuries and the schedule, just not good enough when it mattered.

We were unfortunate with injuries but it's not an excuse. It will happen with so many games in a short period of time. It's the same for every club. Stranraer had a number of players out for our recent game and it will be the same for Elgin and Edinburgh - both part-time teams. Well done to the physio for treating so many injured players but the manager was fully supported by the board with an excellent playing budget and also brought in 4 Darvel players. I didn't think they were too bad but not much better than what we had. Our board have once again shown incredible loyalty to the management but not making the play-offs is a complete failure. We had no chance of winning the title with Queens Park in the division but to finish 5th simply isn't good enough. There should be no excuses for next season even if Kelty come up and Dumbarton come down. We have a squad who should be doing better.

It's such a shame. Our record against the top 4 wasn't great. I do feel the team showed character in certain games, including the recent home game against Stranraer but we simply had to win it and not rely on other teams to do us a favour. Edinburgh City would have had one eye on the play-offs and Queens Park players would have been in holiday mode. 

I like the manager but often wonder if he needs more help from the coaching side of things. We have a player/assistant manager and an analyst so maybe a bit short. Onto the playing side of things, I agree with some who have said we have players but you often feel are held back. There have been some decent performances. I commented in another thread that the Montrose game at home was a brilliant performance. Heaver and Mackin were brilliant in that game, particularly the first half. Just a shame Heaver only got 9 minutes the following 4 games and didn't get more opportunities as clearly one of our better attacking players and if he's getting let go, it will be a major loss for us and someone else's gain. We also missed Bikey and he showed when he came back into the team and got some match fitness he is still one of our better players. 

Cammie Thompson is another one I rate. Barely played and Jordan Allan often picked ahead of him. Maybe fitness issues but again, another player left on the bench who should have played more. 

I'm really not looking forward to the released list of players. I fear there will be some on it who should 100% be staying.  

I’d argue that if anything we were in a better position than other teams. Kirkpatrick, Eadie, Meggatt and Hamilton on loan from hearts in theory are 4 good signings to a squad that was already playing quite well and had a good depth. The only long term injury we had was to Paul McLean which was a sore one. But apart from that no one was out for a sustained period of time without there being a decent enough back up to replace them. For me this is the best Albion squad put together since the fan takeover - including the team that won the play offs at East Fife.

If I look at Stranraer in the game last Saturday, they only had 5 players on their bench. Apart from a small look at Greenhorn against QP we never had to rely on our youth players. Absolutely ridiculous to suggest that we were disadvantaged more than other teams. Cop out from the board who seem to be more interested in making excuses than admitting the fact that they made an arse of giving Kev a new contract before the season ended. 

We missed out on the play offs due to a persistence with 3 at the back which hasn’t worked in attack or defence since December, our inability to score at home, the fact that the goals we did score were basically just Andy Ryan assisting himself, and constantly bottling it against any team in the top half. Little to do with injuries, quite a lot to do with a poor manager IMO. I really really hope Kev proves me wrong next season but I’m skeptical to say the least. 

Agree with your comments, this squad should have been good enough to get into playoffs at least. Poor tactics from KR and the fact we struggled to score at home against teams in the top 5 cost us a chance of a place in the playoffs.
The Boards decision to give KR and his team a new contract without having achieved anything is quite astounding. The failure to get to playoffs brings into question the Boards ability to get this club out of this League. They have in effect rewarded failure, that’s what it amounts too. It’s time for change at the top imo, Stuart Brown has failed once more to deliver to the fans and needs to be replaced by someone more competent. We could also do with some fresh faces on the Club Board as well. Stuart Brown imo is past his sell by date. We need to look to the future.