Stirling Albion Thread

Surprised that things haven’t quite worked out for him at Clyde. It goes without saying that I would love to see him back at Forthbank, injuries aside, Stirling has always seemed a good fit for him.

Sorry I think we need to get the right players in midfield first before I would resign Darren Smith. Given the 2 new strikers we have signed would suspect that if he did return it would be as a squad player not first team regular.

On 27/06/2020 at 20:16, DavidMcG said:

So are these the 15 signed players then:

Callum Thomson 

Cammy Thomson son. You were right about the rest. 

On 28/06/2020 at 15:57, BB_Bino said:

Looking at the squad so far, I think KR has retained well in the Defensive areas, where were were really strong last season and has decided to rip the attacking side up and start again. Whether the signings so far are the ones he referred to or not, but he did state that he was talking to 4 players who would really excite the fans and pull standards up, but whether he would get all 4, time would tell. I’m sure Andy Ryan would be one of those, and with what Queens Park and Albion Rovers fans have said about the other signings, it’s sounding a bit more positive than last year.

As for Peters, yeah he’ll be a miss but only if we can’t recruit better, I think we can.  Kevin Nicoll was simply done and past his best and didn’t really do the same job here as he did at Clyde.

As for KR, well he admitted that he got 50% of it right last season and also mentioned he is probably still lucky to be in a job, he wouldn’t be at some other clubs. The fans took to him very quickly as he is a quirky, likeable lad but many have turned and are now questioning why he is still in place. The board remain keen on him, have backed him well and are sure he is the man to take us up, I’m not 100% certain but I’m willing to give him more time in the hope that he can, but I can’t help but think if he starts next season like he did last season then the fans aren’t going to be as patient as last season. There have been a few more changes behind the scenes as well, we now have a proper scouting and coaching network and we are told that we have an analysis team that’s up there with the best in the country, so as I have said, the board have backed him well.

Great post but will address the above points. Totally agree, I'm glad we have managed to retain our defensive players. The signings (on paper) certainly look to be decent but we need to strengthen in midfield which was largely anonymous for large parts last season. Andy Ryan and Declan Byrne won't perform if they don't get service.  Dave Wilson only performed in certain games but I'm glad we kept hold of him. Jardine largely anonymous but hope he does well wherever he ends up. I felt sorry for Josh Peters and absolutely convinced he could bang in the goals for someone at this level if he had decent service. Duffy was brilliant and wish him all the best. Paul Willis and Max Wright not good enough. 

Disagree on Kevin Nicoll. Yes, he had flaws to his game including a poor discipline record but he was a big factor on why we had one of the best defensive records in the league. He was a huge miss when he wasn't playing and I'm sorry to see him go. He did cost us points with being sent off but it's hard trying to cover every blade of grass and trying to cover others who are largely anonymous in games. 

I like the manager. Folk were calling for him to be sacked after our horrific start last season. I felt though he had no luck in a lot of the games. Majority of the games (if not all) were narrow defeats by 1 goal. He also had to deal with a defensive injury crisis and players getting sent off for stupid mistakes. That would have an impact on any team but especially at this level. The one thing I'm unsure about at times is his starting 11. A prime example is Sean Heaver banging in the goals. Then within a couple of weeks, completely left out. Another player I'm glad we kept. 

Kurtis Roberts will be a good signing for yourselves. He's not exactly a #10 type but he brings a lot of energy and dynamism to the midfield. Fantastic on the counter-attack and, while we never really saw this part of his game, he's proven to be a goal threat at this level before. His face never seemed to fit with the management team at Airdrie for whatever reason and we never seemed to quite get the best out of him. He was popular with the fans though - most were sorry to see him go and his only sustained run in the team was during Airdrie's best run of form of the season when we went top of the league. I don't think it was a coincidence. Best of luck to him - hope it works out well for him, and Andy Ryan. 

I'm sorry to see Craig Truesdale has been let go. Was always spoken of highly at Airdrie and thought he might have made it at an okay level. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Kurtis Roberts will be a good signing for yourselves. He's not exactly a #10 type but he brings a lot of energy and dynamism to the midfield. Fantastic on the counter-attack and, while we never really saw this part of his game, he's proven to be a goal threat at this level before. His face never seemed to fit with the management team at Airdrie for whatever reason and we never seemed to quite get the best out of him. He was popular with the fans though - most were sorry to see him go and his only sustained run in the team was during Airdrie's best run of form of the season when we went top of the league. I don't think it was a coincidence. Best of luck to him - hope it works out well for him, and Andy Ryan. 

I'm sorry to see Craig Truesdale has been let go. Was always spoken of highly at Airdrie and thought he might have made it at an okay level. 

We have signed a group of 4 new players with minimal experience.  Hopefully they work out well for us.  Craig Truesdale was never given a chance, like Josh Peter's both very good players. 

1 hour ago, Mountain Goat Stirling A said:

We have signed a group of 4 new players with minimal experience.  Hopefully they work out well for us.  Craig Truesdale was never given a chance, like Josh Peter's both very good players. 

Not sure what you mean by minimal experience. 3 of them are in their mid 20's and have been playing at this level or above for at least 2 or 3 seasons. Think the manager is going for hard working players who have the energy and legs to compete at this level. Plus, hopefully, a bit of quality.

Thanks for that airdrieman as I have to be honest and say that Roberts is an unknown player to me and when I saw the news on Twitter, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Going by what you have posted above, it would seem to be a positive signing for the club, and he certainly has the attributes that we missed from the middle of the park last season, in my opinion. It bodes well for us because all the signings so far have had a positive reaction and long may that continue.

As for Truesdale, there is definitely a player there, you could see that in the Development games and there were flashes of it at times, when he came off the bench for the First Team. He was limited in appearances for us, but he was probably a victim of the fact that we really were good Defensively and our Captain also happened to play the same position as him. I wouldn’t be to shocked to see him sign for a Lowland League side, and make his way back up from there.

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Thanks for that airdrieman as I have to be honest and say that Roberts is an unknown player to me and when I saw the news on Twitter, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Going by what you have posted above, it would seem to be a positive signing for the club, and he certainly has the attributes that we missed from the middle of the park last season, in my opinion. It bodes well for us because all the signings so far have had a positive reaction and long may that continue.

As for Truesdale, there is definitely a player there, you could see that in the Development games and there were flashes of it at times, when he came off the bench for the First Team. He was limited in appearances for us, but he was probably a victim of the fact that we really were good Defensively and our Captain also happened to play the same position as him. I wouldn’t be to shocked to see him sign for a Lowland League side, and make his way back up from there.

Craig Truesdale has signed for Kirkintilloch Rob Roy

Lads how was Callum Ferrie for you when he was on loan? It's looking likely we won't make many if any signings for this coming season and I don't think many can face having Jack Hamilton in the sticks much longer. Ferrie played for us once last season and had an absolute mare getting sent off (Not really his fault - but certainly rash).

What's he good at? What's he a bit weak at?

Cheers in advance.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Lads how was Callum Ferrie for you when he was on loan? It's looking likely we won't make many if any signings for this coming season and I don't think many can face having Jack Hamilton in the sticks much longer. Ferrie played for us once last season and had an absolute mare getting sent off (Not really his fault - but certainly rash).

Cheers in advance.

Callums performances earned him the Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year awards. He was a standout in a disappointing season for us. 

He was good all round. confident with crosses and bar a slip up early in the season he was a good shot stopper.

Just reviewing last seasons summer transfer signings listed on http://nareystoepoker.blogspot.com/p/on-this-page-aim-is-to-cover-every_17.html. Hopefully, this seasons signings will do better. Far too many squad fillers, which has lead to a high player churn. 
77805868_StirlingAlbionSummer2019Signings.thumb.png.bcff312d5bb522840cbceb6175447d12.png

Think I’ve given my opinion on last seasons signings quite a few times on this thread, so I’ll try and not repeat myself, but yes you are right, to many of them simply didn’t cut it and youngsters who were given the opportunity after being released elsewhere, didn’t take the opportunity.

We were fortunate however that KR managed to sort the Defence out and by and large those signings worked. Our Defence has been a problem for years. He said in a Zoom Meet The Manager Night that he got about 50% of last season right and reading between the lines and looking at the squad retention list for the coming season, that was the Defence. Rodger and Lowden apart (who were both pretty much injured) the Defensive signings would have been in the running for any Player of the Year awards that would have been run, had the season not ended as it did.

KR said the signings this season have got to be better, I’ve got to admit that so far, Andy Ryan is the only player that I really know, but going by the feedback on here, it seems we have signed 4 really good players, so let’s hope that is true and the other few that come in will also be of good quality.

Lads how was Callum Ferrie for you when he was on loan?

Ferrie is a really good Goalkeeper and a I would even go as far as to say he really is a gem. Try and erase his 1 appearance last season and don’t judge him on that, as there is no doubt in my mind that he deserves a crack at First Team football within the Championship and I would honestly say that, in time, he will go on to be a good steady Scottish Premiership Goalkeeper.

As has been mentioned, he was the highlight of a poor season the year he was at Forthbank and I was delighted for him when he picked up both Player and Young Player of the Year awards. As a shot stopper, his reactions and positioning is good, he’s comfortable with crosses within his 6-8 yard area. His decision making is also very good, I can’t remember seeing him being caught in no-mans land at any point, so in terms of actual Goalkeeping, he really can’t be faulted and is a safe pair of hands. If I was being pernickety, I would say his weakness is his distribution, but it’s not bad and it would certainly not be a cause for concern.

I have no doubt if James McPake decided to go with him, the Dundee fans would see a very competent player.

Darren Smith signs for East Kilbride. 
Disappointed he didn't make a return to us but happy he hasn't signed for another Div 2 side.

I was secretly keeping my fingers crossed that he would return, but it’s obviously not to be.

I know EK have signed some fantastic players, in fact every one of them and their manager are to good for that level and playing in front of crowds of over 100, but I can’t help feel that Darren has let himself down a little as he really should be playing somewhere in League 1 or 2.

Wish him well though and hope the long term plans at EK come to fruition, it’s great to see a small club with ambition.

Cheers in advance.

One of the better loan signings we have made in the last few years. Won player of the year with us and was a good reliable keeper bit surprised that he did not feature more at Dundee last season bar the 1 game which unfortunately for him he was sent off in. Well worth the chance imo to take over as No 1 between the sticks nothing ventured nothing gained.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Mountain Goat Stirling A said:

3 young lads joined from the Academy.  Into the 1st team squad.  Wonder how many we have now? 

Think that's 19 with the academy players. Another 1 or 2 still to come.

23 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Swanson would be a huge coup for the club and would be an excellent signing. Really hope KR can pull it off if true.

Agree with that. Even if we don't get him, it suggests the manager is aiming high, and may have a bit of money to attract another decent signing or 2.