Stirling Albion Thread

Jordan McGregor, Paul McLean, Dom Docherty, Dylan Mackin, Sean Heaver & Kyle Banner agree to extend for another season.

I’m delighted that McGregor and McLean are staying, I thought a lot of the good things that we did Defensively came from those 2. Very consistent and steady.

Happy with that news with the exception of Kyle Banner, hasn’t really done much imo to justify a new contract.

Happy with that news with the exception of Kyle Banner, hasn’t really done much imo to justify a new contract.

I would say the same about Dom Docherty. Not saying he doesn’t have ability, he does, it’s just that many games seem to pass him by.

Interesting that we're signing players on contracts for next season when we don't know when (or even if) that season will start. Wonder when the contracts will start from, or is there some flexibility built in depending on the season start date? Bit of a risk perhaps for the players if this is the case, since they may not get any income from football if this is the case (unless of course all other teams are doing the same).

Notice the Elgin chairman saying they may go out of business if the furlough scheme isn't extended past June as they had already signed up 9 of their squad for next season. 

Whilst I agree with my fellow monument shaggers in the 3 14s being the best restructuring proposal, I can admit it is probably is from a selfish point of view from league 2 teams including ourselves.

We have clearly chosen this to keep both Kelty and Brora down and help preserve the status of the teams at the bottom of our league. Also teams will be happy not to have these 2 teams promoted as they will no doubt challenge for title next season which would limit our and others chances of promotion.  The 14 team league also gives the opportunity to teams like stirlinh to have one very good/lucky season and we would be playing some big teams and making some good cash. Compared to 14 10 10 10 where we would need 2 promotions to be playing against the ‘bigger boys’ of the lower leagues. Cove could no doubt see it this way as well as by winning a league of 14 where they only have to compete with the same teams from this year - which they have done easily, plus the bottom 4 of the league above to get big games the following season, which would be much easier than them playing in a league of 10 against other current league 1 clubs and fight it out for promotion with the likes or airdrie Falkirk east fife etc.

Do I dare feel sorry for the 4 teams in league 1 who would basically be relegated due to this proposal? Probably yes. They will now receive less income from travelling supports and probably see home supports drop too by playing against lesser opposition, leading to staff/ player cuts and Ofcourse big budget cuts too. And 3 of those 4 have not finished bottom so it’s harsh punishing them 3 instead of punishing 2 teams- hearts and thistle who actually are bottom in their league. Where’s the sense in that I ask? 
But purely out of self interest though it’s a good decision for Stirling! 

Football has taken a back seat for me for the last month or so, however I am absolutely delighted to read that we are amongst the clubs backing the proposed 14-14-14 set up and pray that it goes through.

Football at this level has long been stagnant, playing the same 9 teams 10 times a season, and although the league looks exciting on paper, the truth for many is that there has been little to get excited about as you face the same team AGAIN!!

Despite the bigger boys, who lets face it just want to keep the money, I think for fans, this will make a slight improvement for our game so well done and let’s keep our fingers crossed 🤞🏻

5 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Football has taken a back seat for me for the last month or so, however I am absolutely delighted to read that we are amongst the clubs backing the proposed 14-14-14 set up and pray that it goes through.

Football at this level has long been stagnant, playing the same 9 teams 10 times a season, and although the league looks exciting on paper, the truth for many is that there has been little to get excited about as you face the same team AGAIN!!

Despite the bigger boys, who lets face it just want to keep the money, I think for fans, this will make a slight improvement for our game so well done and let’s keep our fingers crossed 🤞🏻

If the Premiership has to be increased to 14 teams to save Hearts this is probably the least bad suggestion.

On 26 April 2020 at 17:02, Jacketsforgoalposts said:

I’m a bit surprised that Banner and Docherty have been given new contracts as I don’t see them being regular players in the side agree to a certain extent that Docherty has ability but too many games that I have watched this season have passed him bye and it looked like he wasn’t interested 

Of the signings only McLean and McGregor were nailed on the be in the manager's starting XI when fit last season. The others played their parts but couldn't be said to be regular starters.

8 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Agree with all of this. Bigger leagues,I've never liked those ten team leagues, I'd even consider bringing the bottom tier up to sixteen.

Boards across our division are looking out for their own interests which is understandable. I would much prefer 14-14-16 or at least find a way to include Kelty and Brora for next season. Love my club but it’s getting seriously boring playing the same teams every season. Would be pretty shameful if Brora and Kelty start next season in the Highland/Lowland leagues without the opportunity to at least have a play-off game against each other. Brechin will naturally be counting their lucky stars but they should really be facing a play-off game before next season starts.

• 2 weeks later...

Stirling Albion are participating in the Donate a Ticket Scottish Cup and been drawn against Thorniewood United. The Donate a Ticket Cup sees two Scottish sides go head to head to raise as much money as possible, the team that raises the most proceeds to the next round! All proceeds will go directly to the club. The round ends Sunday evening.

https://bit.ly/THOvsSTI

stirlingtie.png

Edited by SAFCBinos1
Clickable link

47 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I've just remembered to ask something that I've always been curious about- those wee bits of terrace behind each goal at Forthbank, have they ever been used?

Yes,one end was used last season v Hibs in the Betfred cup.Both ends are used as overflow for bigger games.

Edited by MrBeeno

I've just remembered to ask something that I've always been curious about- those wee bits of terrace behind each goal at Forthbank, have they ever been used?

Yeah, like Mr Beeno has said, they have been used a few times. Jobs last season, the Rangers game and when we played Inverness in the Scottish Cup in 2006 from memory.

The Inverness game is the only time I’ve stood in the terrace, then Chairman Peter McKenzie came out and apologised to the support that day because there was nothing open. Don’t remember the view being too great if I’m honest.

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Cheers. A pal says he stood on them taking match photos and there was a slight whiff of drains so perhaps I'm not missing much!

Probably the sewage works behind the west stand.