Stirling Albion Thread

I see the Commercial Director for Stirling has donated to the Albion Rovers crowdfund page. Different class guys.

I don’t know Colin away from what I see on match days, in and about the club and read in programme notes but I genuinely believe he is one of life’s good guys.

I speak highly of all our board members, from what I see of each of them, they are all good men, but we are definitely lucky to have Colin involved with the club.

• 2 weeks later...

After the Cove result midweek just before the shutdown, you have mad to predict success in the playoffs for the Albion. Not a lack of ambition but the grim reality of a mediocre season.
Had we finished 4th or 3rd in the league then it would be one poorly attended midweek game at home in the playoff semi and then out. No chance we would get the better of Elgin or Queens Park on the (then) current form to win playoffs.
Attendances at the remaining home leagues games would dwindle again, like they did last season when the team gave up on the playoffs. They already have season ticket money in anyway and that would be the majority of the attendees for the remaining games.

Add into that the players contracts ending in June, who is going to play these games should the season be extended?

Any finishing of the season would probably mean the loss of the a League Cup (Group stages at least) and they can bring in comparatively more cash than dead rubber league games, especially a game like Hibs on a Saturday.

Football's about striving to achieve not caving in when the odds are against.

I wasn't "predicting success" in the play-offs - it was Stuart Brown and Kevin Rutkiewicz who were doing that at the start of the season.

And it's the chairman who's gone on national TV saying the club can still make 4th.

Now that the fans have paid their money to back the team in pursuit of that why is the club trying to pull the plug?

Form will go out of the window after a long lay-off so, yes, it is a total lack of ambition on the club's part and your part.

Who will play the games? Every other league in the world seems confident of having a solution and I'm sure if all the clubs said to all the players we're restarting the season for an extra month starting on x and finishing on y, they'd sign one-month deals.

Much of the extra money from the League Cup would surely have to be repaid to season ticket holders that have been sold short - or do you think they should be sold short twice?

But if the club's message for the new season is the same - "we might succeed but it's unlikely so not really sure it's worth trying" - I wonder how many of those fans will be back.

Who’s caved in? You seriously suggesting that the Albion team is capable of winning the playoffs? Cove game was the end of our season in my opinion.

Of course, new squad after the summer but I would not put my mortgage on our squad being much better than it currently is.

How many fans would take up the offer to take back season ticket money? I won’t be but there will be some who will be affected by the economical downturn who will have to.

Perhaps the current season ticket will run for the first four/five games of new season instead?

The players union will not allow the players to be put at risk so no training until social isolating is over and that is a decision by the government which will probably be June in my opinion, maybe later.

13 hours ago, King Crownest said:

Football's about striving to achieve not caving in when the odds are against.

I wasn't "predicting success" in the play-offs - it was Stuart Brown and Kevin Rutkiewicz who were doing that at the start of the season.

And it's the chairman who's gone on national TV saying the club can still make 4th.

Now that the fans have paid their money to back the team in pursuit of that why is the club trying to pull the plug?

Form will go out of the window after a long lay-off so, yes, it is a total lack of ambition on the club's part and your part.

Who will play the games? Every other league in the world seems confident of having a solution and I'm sure if all the clubs said to all the players we're restarting the season for an extra month starting on x and finishing on y, they'd sign one-month deals.

Much of the extra money from the League Cup would surely have to be repaid to season ticket holders that have been sold short - or do you think they should be sold short twice?

But if the club's message for the new season is the same - "we might succeed but it's unlikely so not really sure it's worth trying" - I wonder how many of those fans will be back.

Mate, there is a pandemic with loads of people dying and you are point scoring on a decision which at the very most, shows negligible benefit. 

Have faith in people, most realise that the situation is different and the season needs to be addressed differently, by doing this it ensures some respite for the club financially and allows to plan for next season in a timely manner.

There isn't a perfect solution but this is about the best fit. 

Almost as if you have some sort of weird agenda driving your views. Be better - other things are more important. I have had issues with Brown in the past but he is doing the right thing here. 

So we're allowed to disagree with Stuart Brown just not while there's a pandemic on??

Have you told Rangers?

The club and trust launched an appeal for funds from the wider community because they claimed the city needs to keep its successful team and they can only achieve that by putting on football matches which they can't do because of the virus.

Now with the money in the bank, playing football matches is apparently the worst thing that Stirling Albion can do because, according to someone off the trust board, the team's crap and it's not going to get any better next season either.

In 2014, everyone thought Albion's season was over with six games to go but they went on a run, sneaked a play-off spot and the momentum won them promotion.

The club and manager have said the play-offs is the aim for this season and the chairman's just been on TV saying that 4th spot is still up for grabs. 

So why the lack of ambition and rush to cancel the season in mid-April? 

It is not in the club's sporting or financial interests to lack a drive to succeed and that's where I disagree with you.

PS  As for season tickets, if you're extending the current season ticket into the first five games of next season, it's exactly the same effect as a refund and the club will still be out of pocket...think about it.

Edited by King Crownest

I admire your optimism KING CROWNEST but the way we were playing in March, 9th place was more likely than 4th.

It actually suits the Club to finish the season early so no doubt that is why they voted yes. The club were going backwards, an embarrassing 7-1 defeat at home, crowds lower than I can remember and now the assistant manager has walked.

This is a chance to regroup and start again but please this time get a football person on the Board of management, its what’s been missing for over a decade. Being good at hospitality is one thing, but it doesn’t win football games.

Whatever the outcome to these talks Cove deserve to go up.

Wow.....there are more people dying in the UK than anywhere else in Europe, we are in lock down with peoples jobs and health on the line. Football has (quite rightly) taken a back seat as people try and survive, who knows if and when it will start again.......and yet some “supporters” still want to stick the boot into Stuart Brown because he’s showing no ambition because we had a nats baw hair chance of finishing 4th. You couldn’t make it up.

The club were going backwards, an embarrassing 7-1 defeat at home, crowds lower than I can remember

That’s what worries me and it’s something I have commented on a number of times over the years. Attendances really are dropping to poor levels now and continue to fall. The age of those attending seem to get older as well, which is especially surprising when you consider the size of the academy that’s attached to the club and the fact that kids are allowed in for free. The simple fact is that the paying supporter is now absolutely scunnered with the footballl over the years, probably since Moore left....can you actually blame people for no longer coming? I can’t think of a single home game that I have enjoyed this season, and I’m struggling to think of one last either, that’s the truth. The football has been turgid with the odd period of flair at best.

As for us going backwards on the pitch, I have to agree with that as well. I really like KR, as I have said before, he comes across as one of life’s good guys and I really bought into him originally, but like McLaren and like Mackay, who were also nice guys, he has shown nothing to suggest he will get us out of this league and back to competing at the top end of League 1. Whenever football resumes, I suspect the club will continue to go backwards or stay stagnant on the field which will mean the adverse effect of bums on seats will continue for a bit longer.

I'm going to stick up for King Crownest here - the original point about the lack of ambition in the quote below is spot on.  I don't have a transcript of what Stuart said, but if the logic is that voting to end the season now is a no brainer because we wouldn't get any higher than 4th, that is absolutely bizarre.  Turning down a possible promotion because it would have to come via the playoffs makes no sense at all, especially as the downside risk of relegation is essentially nil.  Maybe the comments have been taken out of context and that's not really what he meant.

Also, the fact of the coronavirus situation doesn't mean nothing else can be discussed and we all have to agree on everything.  The rest of the season is being debated at the level of clubs, governing bodies and in the media, so it's perfectly legitimate to disagree with what those involved have said.

On 12/04/2020 at 19:03, King Crownest said:

Stuart Brown on Sky Sports saying it's a "no-brainer" to vote to end the season because the best Albion could get is fourth.

Play-off spot not worth going for?

Total lack of ambition imho. 

8 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

As for us going backwards on the pitch, I have to agree with that as well. I really like KR, as I have said before, he comes across as one of life’s good guys and I really bought into him originally, but like McLaren and like Mackay, who were also nice guys, he has shown nothing to suggest he will get us out of this league and back to competing at the top end of League 1. Whenever football resumes, I suspect the club will continue to go backwards or stay stagnant on the field which will mean the adverse effect of bums on seats will continue for a bit longer.

Don't think we're actually disagreeing here.

But giving up the chance to chase promotion and telling fans they've just wasted their cash for the last nine months isn't going to get them back.

Also the club can hardly dispense with KR when KR can say he was set the target of play-offs, the chairman told the nation 4th place was still on but the club voted to pull the plug on the season!

BB is right - time for footballing people on both boards.

And that's not a dig at Stuart Brown. He was only mentioned because it was him that went on the telly.

This is about the club and trust, which are bigger than one person.

If we can match the ambition of Alloa on the pitch and Stenny off the pitch - two smaller clubs - imagine what Albion could be again.

So we're allowed to disagree with Stuart Brown just not while there's a pandemic on??

Have you told Rangers?

The club and trust launched an appeal for funds from the wider community because they claimed the city needs to keep its successful team and they can only achieve that by putting on football matches which they can't do because of the virus.

Now with the money in the bank, playing football matches is apparently the worst thing that Stirling Albion can do because, according to someone off the trust board, the team's crap and it's not going to get any better next season either.

In 2014, everyone thought Albion's season was over with six games to go but they went on a run, sneaked a play-off spot and the momentum won them promotion.

The club and manager have said the play-offs is the aim for this season and the chairman's just been on TV saying that 4th spot is still up for grabs. 

So why the lack of ambition and rush to cancel the season in mid-April? 

It is not in the club's sporting or financial interests to lack a drive to succeed and that's where I disagree with you.

PS  As for season tickets, if you're extending the current season ticket into the first five games of next season, it's exactly the same effect as a refund and the club will still be out of pocket...think about it.

Now now, that was a bit naughty.
Describing the season as mediocre (which is accurate) is not the same as describing the team as crap. An apology is due and I thank you in advance.
Will he squad be better than last season, well if Jordan McGregor goes up the leagues then replacing him will be very difficult. Paul McLean has had a terrific season at centre-half replacing his experience would be difficult, if he goes. That is why you, nor I, can guarantee we will have a better squad next season.
One thing is for certain, the club have backed the team financially this season (and the seasons before.) That cannot be questioned.
Let’s see what you try to twist that statement into.

One thing is for certain, the club have backed the team financially this season (and the seasons before.) That cannot be questioned.

That’s the thing that really gets to me when people slag off Stuart (it’s never the board collectively, just Stuart), to my knowledge they have done a great job in giving managers competitive budgets and that’s really all we can ask of them to do, what managers like KR do with that budget is up them.

I have no idea what players are on at the club, but I would suggest that some of the current squad and various players that have left, do not come cheap. There will always be the cheap options that balance the books, but the point remains.

Hot off the presses:

Club statement

Perhaps not a Beautiful Sunday but, with movement restricted like never before, as good a time as any to update you on a number of important topics. Social distancing may be the order of the day (weeks and months) but bringing supporters closer to all things Stirling Albion is most certainly something within the Club Board’s power to deliver on.

CLUB STABILITY

In the short to medium term, thanks in large part to the Government Job Retention Scheme (JRS) and the GoFundMe campaign, the Club is in a strong financial position to handle the ongoing hiatus. The recent announcement of the extension of the JRS until the end of June is very welcome news and in “normal” times, by the beginning of July, pre-season training would be well under way with the Betfred Cup kicking off mid-month. However, these are not normal times and every week of delay to this schedule will undoubtedly see, not just Stirling Albion but every football club experience expenditure exceeding income. Never has the expression “watch this space” been more appropriate. You can be assured that the Club Board are already doing everything possible to mitigate this challenge.

SEASON TICKETS – 2019/20

Following the acceptance of the SPFL Resolution to terminate the League Season 2019/20 in the Championship, League 1 and League 2, there will be no more games played at Forthbank until next season, whenever that may be.

Obviously, everyone who purchased a season ticket for 2019/20 will have missed five games through no fault of their own and the Club Board feel it is only right to offer supporters the opportunity to apply for the following refunds in each category :

Adult – £53; 65 & over and Students – £32; 12 to 15 – £14

We would respectfully ask that all supporters seeking a refund, consider carrying this forward to next season when it will be allowed as a discount from the cost of renewal of their ticket.

However, in the current situation, we appreciate that many may be experiencing financial challenges and, accordingly, anyone who requests a refund now will, of course, receive it as soon as possible.

If you fall into that category, please contact the Club by email at office@stirlingalbionfc.co.uk with your name, address, seat number (if possible) and your bank account details (full name as on the account, sort code and account number) and the refund being applied for, so that we can arrange the transfer. Please be patient, this is a one-man job!

NB. Please note that, as we cannot access Forthbank during lockdown, we are unable to take phone calls.

HOME SHIRT 20/21

It is around this time of year that we would be making plans to choose our home shirt for the following two seasons. However, after much deliberation, taking account of all the relevant circumstances, the Club Board have decided not to proceed.

Whilst we appreciate the annual announcement of alternating the new home and away kit is eagerly anticipated, the Board was equally and acutely conscious that the devastating economic impact of Covid-19 will undoubtedly bite hard on the pocket of many of our supporters – the majority of whom will have already generously contributed to the GoFundMe campaign – and on balance we determined postponing replacement for this coming season, was the right thing to do.

We do, however, have a contractual responsibility to our kit supplier and once we have greater certainty of what the future holds in respect of a return, not just of football, but to at least a semblance of normality to life in general, we intend progressing plans to celebrate our 75th Anniversary with some form(s) of Macron leisure wear. Consultation with supporters will most certainly be part of that process. Another case of “watch this space”!

PLAYING MATTERS

With all footballing activity currently suspended and with no certainty as to when there will be a return, planning for the coming season is incredibly complex and challenging, particularly in respect of signing players against a backcloth of financial uncertainty. This has the inevitable knock-on effect of delaying announcements of those staying, going and indeed coming.

We fully understand the frustration this will cause for supporters who are desperate for some fitba’ news. Please believe us, we are too and all we can do is apologise and ask for your patience!

Despite the constraints, the Club isn’t standing still, and discussions are underway with a number of players Kevin Rutkiewicz is hoping to retain. With talks going well, we expect to be in a position to start the process of announcing players who have agreed to extend their contract, as early as this coming week.

As things stand currently, with player contracts due to expire in early June, following then we will have one player! Namely, goalkeeper, Blair Currie who is close to regaining full physical fitness and entering the second year of his two-year contract.

In respect of backroom staff, as previously announced, Kevin’s Assistant, Martin Hardie, has moved on and Kevin is considering his options for next season. The Gaffer, as well as anyone, is conscious of the financial constraints that face the Club the longer the delay in competitive football returning and the most likely outcome is a player/coach. Again, we expect to be in a position to make an announcement in the near future.

All of the players who are currently under contract are working hard individually to maintain a level of physical fitness as the weeks pass and turn into months.

We repeat our apologies for what appears to be a delay in announcing developments with regards to playing matters, but it is worth remembering that if it were business as usual, we’d still have two fixtures of the 19/20 season to play!

Our best wishes to all Binos and indeed our extended community at this hugely difficult time.

Stuart, Alan, Colin, Graham and Grant

SAFC Club Board

Excellent statement from the Club Board. The offer is there for the a refund on your season ticket. Be interesting how many will take up that up. Money will be tight for some so it is clearly the right thing to do.

We’ll see if those who are quick to give out the stick will acknowledge this statement in the right manner.

Jordan McGregor, Paul McLean, Dom Docherty, Dylan Mackin, Sean Heaver & Kyle Banner agree to extend for another season.

I’m delighted that McGregor and McLean are staying, I thought a lot of the good things that we did Defensively came from those 2. Very consistent and steady.