Stirling Albion Thread

Just now, cfcuk said:

who said he would be a stand out?
but why come on and slag off a Clyde captain. good solid pro will do a job for Stirling end of

as you say it's a Stirling thread

Which pieces of "slagging" do you disagree with, exactly? That we played better without him, that he's not mobile, that we generally picked up better results when he didn't start? Ultimately, the biggest "slagging" was done by Danny Lennon, who released him; probably for the reasons several Clyde fans have outlined. Should we be sacking him for showing such disrespect to a promotion-winning captain?

Like I've stated, I hope he does exceedingly well at Stirling, but - as we like to hear about our new signings - I am here offering my opinion on their signing of him. He certainly did well for us late in the season when brought on to stifle games in the closing stages and I've no doubt he's a smashing guy, but if Stirling are looking to win promotion then they'll need to be signing better players for their starting XI than Nicoll.

Stranraer have just signed mark Stewart and lee Hamilton who were both with you guys last year. See Stewart only played 6 games and Hamilton 16 . What’s your opinion on these 2 guys as that’s 3 now from Stirling Albion we have signed.

If Stranraer are signing the calibre of Jordan Allan and Mark Stewart then you have to fear for them next season. I like Lee Hamilton but is he worthy of a step up.....mmm, I’m not sure he is.

Hamilton is a good player, he’s steady on the ball, Left footed and looks really comfortable as a Centre Back also, he just doesn’t really offer much in attack which is something you obviously look for in a Full Back. As I say, he’s a good player who has suffered with a fair amount of injuries, but I’m not convinced he is a League 1 player. Hope for his sake he has an injury free season and proves he is because he’ll give you everything, and can never be faulted for effort and desire.

Mark Stewart was a total enigma for us. Dumbarton fans on here told us how poor he had been for them the season before, but we assumed that League 2 football and the fact that he had done well in scoring years before, that he’d be an asset for us, however we were wrong. He offered nothing and despite running about a lot, never seemed to be in a position to receive the ball or hurt the opposition. From memory he scored 1 goal, which was a 2 yard tap in against Peterhead when the game was gone and I think that was the only positive contribution I noticed in his 4 months at the club. I hate being harsh on players, but it spoke volumes when KR came in and afterwards Stewart was not long shown the door, despite having a 2 year deal. Fans were to believe he was injured, and that may have been the case, but the sceptic in me thinks it was more to do with the fact he would (probably) be one of our highest earners but had been absolutely rotten and KR wanted to free up wages.

44 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Which pieces of "slagging" do you disagree with, exactly? That we played better without him, that he's not mobile, that we generally picked up better results when he didn't start? Ultimately, the biggest "slagging" was done by Danny Lennon, who released him; probably for the reasons several Clyde fans have outlined. Should we be sacking him for showing such disrespect to a promotion-winning captain?

Like I've stated, I hope he does exceedingly well at Stirling, but - as we like to hear about our new signings - I am here offering my opinion on their signing of him. He certainly did well for us late in the season when brought on to stifle games in the closing stages and I've no doubt he's a smashing guy, but if Stirling are looking to win promotion then they'll need to be signing better players for their starting XI than Nicoll.

I’m sure there was no “ slagging”- although I realise you were making a point. Danny would have released Kev with grateful thanks, with dignity and with sensitivity.

No need to underline or highlight any perceived shortcomings. 

His influence in the dressing room, even when suspended or injured,  helped the squad massively through difficult times and on to promotion.

Providing fans of his new club with unsolicited negative comments is nothing other than disrespectful and self indulgent.

2 minutes ago, HughieMc said:

I’m sure there was no “ slagging”- although I realise you were making a point. Danny would have released Kev with grateful thanks, with dignity and with sensitivity.

No need to underline or highlight any perceived shortcomings. 

His influence in the dressing room, even when suspended or injured,  helped the squad massively through difficult times and on to promotion.

Providing fans of his new club with unsolicited negative comments is nothing other than disrespectful and self indulgent.

:lol:

Blair Currie is a decent enough keeper for league 2, didn’t command his box enough for my liking but overall a good keeper. 

Kevin nicol will do a job as long as you don’t ask him to do too much, he’s best at just sitting breaking up the play. Even if he’s not playing, I feel he was a big influence in our changing room and a good captain. 

Nicoll is decent at battling away in the middle of the park and winning the ball back. Will give a physical presence in midfield but will pick a fair number of bookings.

Its a bit different when you have the ball he'll slow things down which didn't really fit in with the way we play.

Been a good player for Clyde and best of luck to him at Stirling.

Seems a bit of a mixed bag in terms of signings for Stirling Nicoll, Currie and Wilson all decent but Lowdon, Wright and Peters are pretty poor.

Stranraer have just signed mark Stewart and lee Hamilton who were both with you guys last year. See Stewart only played 6 games and Hamilton 16 . What’s your opinion on these 2 guys as that’s 3 now from Stirling Albion we have signed.

Stewart was decent enough to start then he picked up an injury and just disappeared from the scene at Forthbank for the rest of the season. Surprised he was signed by you, question marks over his ability to stay free of injury.

Lee is a decent enough player can play Centre back or left back, was out for a spell with injury and came back a few weeks before then season ended. Good player would have kept him but clearly KR does not think he is worth another contract, wish him all the best.

Clyde captain lead us to promotion will end with his picture up In the Arria
end of [emoji16]
interesting you don't have any critism of our wonderful goalie that Danny Lennon binned maybe that's what really annoyed you [emoji23]

Clyde captain lead us to promotion will end with his picture up In the Arria
end of [emoji16]
interesting you don't have any critism of our wonderful goalie that Danny Lennon binned maybe that's what really annoyed you [emoji23]

At this point I'm unsure whether it's complete ignorance or you're just P&B's most underrated wind-up merchant, but I'll bite and kill this off anyway:

Screenshot_20190601-213009.jpg

20 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

Acknowledging the severe limitations of a player does not constitute "slagging him off". The simple fact is that a player needs to have more to his game than being able to win aerial duels and 50/50s in the middle of the park; before his stint in the juniors/return to senior football with us, he was a very good player because he combined those attributes with some mobility. He's lost a yard of pace, though, and his all-round game ultimately means he isn't particularly effective any more. Danny Lennon said himself multiple times that he wishes he had "Kevin Nicoll of five years ago". That's not to say he's not a good guy or that he's disliked in any way whatsoever - he was, in fact, very useful for us coming on to close out games when we were protecting leads or could give starters a rest.

Of the seventeen games Kevin Nicoll started last season (in league/play-off competition), we had a win rate of 47% (W8 D3 L6) . In the twenty-three he didn't start, that increased to almost 83% (W19 D3 L1), remarkably with only one loss (up at Elgin after the points deduction) among that. I don't think even the most ardent fan of his could look at those statistics and say he was a key performer for us last season, regardless of his effort, commitment and leadership qualities. 

Anyway, this is a Stirling Albion thread. I'd say that their recruitment has been sound, but fairly unspectacular so far. Jordan Lowdon's bad knee injury has robbed him of the blistering pace which he formerly possessed and which made him such a potent attacking threat, and between him and Creaney I don't see that as any improvement on Jordan Allan. Wilson is a smart addition, but it's hard to pick a good blend in midfield out of he, Docherty, Jardine and Nicoll. Hawke and Peters aren't improvements on what Stirling already had either, IMO, in fact they're probably weaker up top now without Smith. They look a decent shout for the play-offs at present, but given their form in the second half of the season and a lack of genuine quality among the new recruits, it would be a stretch to imagine they'll be serious title contenders.

Think that's a fair summary of our recruitment so far, pretty much just okay. Hoping that the manager can gel the players into a hard working, balanced team. That may be enough to at least get to the play offs this season. First priority is to get as far away from 10th as possible!

22 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

Nicoll is decent at battling away in the middle of the park and winning the ball back. Will give a physical presence in midfield but will pick a fair number of bookings.

Its a bit different when you have the ball he'll slow things down which didn't really fit in with the way we play.

Been a good player for Clyde and best of luck to him at Stirling.

Seems a bit of a mixed bag in terms of signings for Stirling Nicoll, Currie and Wilson all decent but Lowdon, Wright and Peters are pretty poor.

The manager is building a robust League 2 team.  I really like Jordan Lowden when he played for Elgin.  Technically very good and has a bit of steel in there too.

Good keeper on the way in Currie.

Nicoll is a very good signing - experienced and wins every ball.

Don't know the rest but in Kevin R we trust.  

We have a chance of play off places with this team I am sure.

4 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

No, first priority should be going for the title.

Love your optimism Jake. Us old farts tend to look at the worst possible outcome first.

When we're 10 points clear with 4 games to go, I'll start thinking of the title.

10 hours ago, BinosCammy said:

Jake's right is we want to get out the league we have to set sights for the title and nothing less, if you settle for the playoffs you could end up losing out

Agree need to get out of this League and whether we do that be winning the title or through the playoffs it doesn't matter just lets get out of this League first and foremost. 

Love your optimism Jake. Us old farts tend to look at the worst possible outcome first.
When we're 10 points clear with 4 games to go, I'll start thinking of the title.

Not really optimism tbh going for the title should be priority. Whether we do it or not is still to be seen. Club should be aiming high.