Stirling Albion Thread

Nicoll always played particularly well against Stirling for some reason so can see why you’ve signed him. Came in for a lot of over the top criticism from our fans but a good, honest, tough tackling pro.

Stirling are quickly becoming my 2nd team. Currie, nicoll and giving us Darren Smith. Hope you boys do well next season.

27 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

He may not have the pace from previous years but WILL defo do a job. Tough tackling player who lets others around him play. Very noticeable when both him and rankin were out of our side. Would be amazing if he got back2back titles indeedemoji106.png

:lol:

When Rankin and Nicoll were both out of the team we won three out of three with a combined scoreline of 6-0. Noticeable indeed.

For a wet grass park, for a midweek scrap, to play Annan at their own game... Player and a half. Straight out of Mordor.

Long past his best though. Would struggle in a midfield duo; needs a couple of dogs bodies around him, and he might even wind up stifling their creativity by fact of being unable to resist the urge to take the game by scruff. Or, in English: do it all himself.

Decent versatility. Can get away with it as a centre-half. Probably best redeployed there to prolong his time in the senior game. Not as taxing a role.

KR is putting his stamp on this squad and fingers crossed come May we can the f**k out of this League and stay out. Wish both our new signings all the best.
Still need help out wide and another striker would no go amiss, maybe another Centre back as well. Fingers crossed.

Kevin Nicoll. A good ball-winner, as in he'll clatter right through people and won't actually retain possession but it'll get the crowd into the game. Can't turn on the ball, or pass it quickly. Might do a job if you're playing a dogs of war, Annan style. He's the sort of player who has spent a career protecting other midfielders but now needs guys who can run alongside him, which means there are people doing his job anyway.

Delighted to read this David, it means we are getting the player I thought we were, one I have admired for a few years and one that I was hoping we’d sign, as I can’t remember the last time we had someone like him.

A ball winner is what we have been lacking for years, so happy with this signing. With Wilson and Docherty infront of him you'd imagine they'd do all the running.

Don’t forget Jardine. I think we Nicol in there, we have lots of options to do the running for him......the only thing we don’t have is another Nicol for when he is suspended or injured.

Well done KR, how about a couple of wide men now?

Josh Peters signed.

Interesting signing as well. Remember him scoring and playing well against us a few years back when he was at Forfar, but then I can’t remember him doing anything of note during the (home) Queens Park marches last season.

2 hours ago, cfcuk said:

absolutely sick of reading Clyde fans on here slagging off a captain that lead us to a promotion after 10 years on the divsion. complete lack of respect

Acknowledging the severe limitations of a player does not constitute "slagging him off". The simple fact is that a player needs to have more to his game than being able to win aerial duels and 50/50s in the middle of the park; before his stint in the juniors/return to senior football with us, he was a very good player because he combined those attributes with some mobility. He's lost a yard of pace, though, and his all-round game ultimately means he isn't particularly effective any more. Danny Lennon said himself multiple times that he wishes he had "Kevin Nicoll of five years ago". That's not to say he's not a good guy or that he's disliked in any way whatsoever - he was, in fact, very useful for us coming on to close out games when we were protecting leads or could give starters a rest.

Of the seventeen games Kevin Nicoll started last season (in league/play-off competition), we had a win rate of 47% (W8 D3 L6) . In the twenty-three he didn't start, that increased to almost 83% (W19 D3 L1), remarkably with only one loss (up at Elgin after the points deduction) among that. I don't think even the most ardent fan of his could look at those statistics and say he was a key performer for us last season, regardless of his effort, commitment and leadership qualities. 

Anyway, this is a Stirling Albion thread. I'd say that their recruitment has been sound, but fairly unspectacular so far. Jordan Lowdon's bad knee injury has robbed him of the blistering pace which he formerly possessed and which made him such a potent attacking threat, and between him and Creaney I don't see that as any improvement on Jordan Allan. Wilson is a smart addition, but it's hard to pick a good blend in midfield out of he, Docherty, Jardine and Nicoll. Hawke and Peters aren't improvements on what Stirling already had either, IMO, in fact they're probably weaker up top now without Smith. They look a decent shout for the play-offs at present, but given their form in the second half of the season and a lack of genuine quality among the new recruits, it would be a stretch to imagine they'll be serious title contenders.

Both missed a huge chunk of last season through injury. Hamilton was a steady full back who could play centre and good going forward. Stewart had pace but his crossing was suspect. He did bag a few goals in partnership with Peter McDonald. His last game was the 3-0 defeat at Albion Rovers that was Dave MacKays last game in charge.
Not sure if either are good enough for League One.

4 hours ago, cfcuk said:

absolutely sick of reading Clyde fans on here slagging off a captain that lead us to a promotion after 10 years on the divsion. complete lack of respect

Sick but not surprised surely......expecting a torrent for Tom Lang if he goes- 

A complete lack of respect for Kevin- just let him move on with a bit of dignity instead of boring us all with your amateur insights.

30 minutes ago, Le shocolate moose said:

Stranraer have just signed mark Stewart and lee Hamilton who were both with you guys last year. See Stewart only played 6 games and Hamilton 16 . What’s your opinion on these 2 guys as that’s 3 now from Stirling Albion we have signed.

Good luck with Stewart, he was permanently injured from end of August and didn't look great before then.  If you've got him on a pay by game contract not a weekly wage he must just do. Don't expect him to be fit for playing on plastic too often, we signed him on inflated  wages and got hee haw for the money. Lee had his injury problems last season but if he stays fit he'll do a good job for you.

Of the three Lee Hamilton is the only one I'm sorry has left us.

Edited by AlbionMan

6 minutes ago, HughieMc said:

A complete lack of respect for Kevin- just let him move on with a bit of dignity instead of boring us all with your amateur insights.

:lol: Lang was demonstrably one of our three best players by the season's end, whereas Nicoll was rightly on the bench because we were a far better team without him. It's strange that Currie wasn't offered such protection and adoration by some when he, unlike Nicoll, started virtually every game of that promotion season.

It would be a lie to come on here and tell Stirling fans that Nicoll will be a stand-out for them; I am merely calling it how I see it. That doesn't mean I don't wish for him to thrive there. As with every player his name will go down in history as a member of the squad which earned this promotion (as club captain, no less), and rightfully so. But it's more than a little wishful to suggest he's still a great force on the park.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

[emoji38] Lang was demonstrably one of our three best players by the season's end, whereas Nicoll was rightly on the bench because we were a far better team without him. It's strange that Currie wasn't offered such protection and adoration by some when he, unlike Nicoll, started virtually every game of that promotion season.
It would be a lie to come on here and tell Stirling fans that Nicoll will be a stand-out for them; I am merely calling it how I see it. That doesn't mean I don't wish for him to thrive there. As with every player his name will go down in history as a member of the squad which earned this promotion (as club captain, no less), and rightfully so. But it's more than a little wishful to suggest he's still a great force on the park.
who said he would be a stand out?
but why come on and slag off a Clyde captain. good solid pro will do a job for Stirling end of

as you say it's a Stirling thread