Forfar Athletic Thread 2016/17

"Jamie Bain joins the ‘Loons’

Manager Gary Bollan has completed his first close season signing.

He has gone back to his former club Airdrieonians to complete the signing of midfielder Jamie Bain on a two year contract.

Jamie who hails from Airdrie had been with his hometown club since 2008 and has made in excess of 130 first team competitive appearances.

The ‘Loons’ management team hope to be able to announce the arrival of a few other new faces in the next week or two.

Offers of new terms have been made by the club to Steven Craig, Martyn Fotheringham, Andy Ryan, Craig Smith, Scott Smith and James Yates whose contracts all expired at the end of the season.

Andy is of course hopeful of returning to full-time football and the club understand his position.

Danny Denholm, Kerr Hay, Darren Hill, Michael Kennedy, Thomas O’Brien, Gavin Swankie and Michael Travis are under contract for another season.

Discussions are also underway with a few of the talented Under 20 squad in regard to their futures.

The Manager however decided not to offer new deals to Iain Campbell, Michael Dunlop, Omar Kader, Gavin Malin, Gareth Rodger and Derek Young and all move on with the best wishes of the club for their future.

This is especially the case with ‘Yano’ who has given sterling service to the ‘Loons’ cause over many a year.

Bryan Hodge decided not take up the option of a second year available to him on his contractual agreement with the club, citing travel difficulties and has opted to join Stirling Albion, Forthbank Stadium being only a few minutes drive from his home."

First of a few in from Airdrie no doubt.

Cannot understand offering Craig a new deal personally.

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Offers of new terms have been made by the club to Steven Craig, Martyn Fotheringham, Andy Ryan, Craig Smith, Scott Smith and James Yates whose contracts all expired at the end of the season."

Cannot understand offering Craig a new deal personally.

Steven or Smudger?

Must've been something going on in the background re Smudger if he's been offered another deal. Disappeared off the radar from the 20s and first team at the same time as Baxter jacked it in. (although the club never mentioned anything about Smudger)

Also, no mention of Cammy Clark or Jason King who were on one year deals too.

Would be splendid if Steven Craig and Andy Ryan signed up. Their partnership would do well In league 2

I thought Craig was mediocre at best last season but, as you say, could do welll in L2.

Wasn't overly impressed with Scott Smith's first stint with us, he showed some improvement in his second stint but not enough for me tbh.

Sorry to see Omar and Yano away.

Can't see Craig and Ryan staying. Smudger took a break from football for a while that's why he's no been playing. Can see Jason just development and Hill second choice with a new keeper coming in.

Steven or Smudger?

Both. Don't think either would add much to the squad personally.

Of the ones offered deals only really bothered by Ryan and that is surely a longshot that he'd stay.

Foxy and Smith would be Ok but Foxy is clearly struggling physically these days and Smith is just too light weight, but both would be OK in squad.

"midfielder Jamie Bain"? Isn't he a right back? Should be a good signing especially for league 2. Delighted about Foxy - as long as he signs. Can't understand either Smith.

I though Scott came in and did a job for us considering he hadn't played since about November/December time.  Think he may look good in League 2.  Mobile and can tackle - we'll probably need that.

Smudger is a strange one - always rated him as a prospect - looks a totally different player for the U20s - so relaxed and confident, whereas in the first team, for whatever reasons, he seems to tense up.  I know it's a different game but DC previously or GB when he took over should be looking to remove the "tension" from his play when he steps out on first team duty.  He must have been in contact with the club during his "sabbatical" for them to offer a new deal - or it's one of those technicalities whereby if we offer him an improved contract we are entitled to compensation for him, due to his age, if he decides to go elsewhere?

"midfielder Jamie Bain"? Isn't he a right back? Should be a good signing especially for league 2. Delighted about Foxy - as long as he signs. Can't understand either Smith.

He's essentially a utility player - he can play at RB, RM and has been used as CM or a no.10 in the past as well. When Bollan did play him, it tended to be at RB.

Jamie is a hard working player, pretty handy going forward and has the odd wonder goal in his locker as well. He's quite a modern day full back, in that he's good going forward, but can be a bit hit and miss defensively. He does have a bad habit of making 2 or 3 theatrical dives per game though.

All in all, he's a really sound and reliable player to have in your squad - he should skoosh League 2.

I hope the move works out for him, a great servant to Airdrie.

After we got McCord signed up I kind of knew we wouldn't be near Fotheringham, in honesty I think it's quite fitting he's seeing out another Forfar contract and getting a testimonial etc. No many players see out 10 year at the one club at part time level. Love that.

After we got McCord signed up I kind of knew we wouldn't be near Fotheringham, in honesty I think it's quite fitting he's seeing out another Forfar contract and getting a testimonial etc. No many players see out 10 year at the one club at part time level. Love that.

The mans a Forfar legend . Quality player on his day.

That Andy Ryan was at the Clyde game last night. Not looking much into right enough as there was a few footballers kicking about with him.

Andy Ryan was also at the Cowden Queen's Park game on Saturday too

Not sure about Omar's comments on the Forfar Facebook page tonight. The announcement about who's staying/leaving/joining etc

"It's a shame that after 4 years, nobody could be bothered to phone and confirm 🤔🙈 Great club and myself, friends and family have always been made welcome by all. Wish everyone all the best...maybe not next year tho 😉"

Forfar announced tonight that he wasn't being offered terms but Arbroath had already confirmed he was joining last night??

Also, the wee matter of him having left for Alloa last season, then gone to Australia/NZ means he's not quite the 4 year veteran he is portraying!

I like Omar, think he'll do well with a solid pre-season behind him and think he should be playing League 1 easily but not sure about airing any dirty laundry in public. Nothing to be gained by it.

Archived