The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

Conlan, Howieson, Shankland, Carswell, McMullan, Gallagher - all young players but only two out of that six signed by Murray got a regular game. The players he inherited all played (Naismith's injury eventually ruling him out) regularly (Baird, Mallan, Kelly). So the 4 young players he inherited did ok for him and most of the ones he signed could not get into a rank rotten team.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See Aaron Mooy is on the verge of a move to Belgian champions, Club Bruges (Despite Sevco being adamant that he'll end up there).

This after Melbourne knocked back a $2m for him from a Saudi team last week.

Yet there are still armchair experts over on BAWA who claim that he's 'mince' and 'wasnt and still isn't good enough for us'

Fucking delusional or what?! :lol:

I'm not going to say he was mince, but he certainly didn't cut the mustard at us. Our team the second year Lennon was there was decent and he was in and out of the team.

He might just have been too young and perhaps the blow of being let go at Bolton then Saints may have focused him when he returned home. He didn't obviously stand out  - I doubt many opposition fans would remember him playing against their team. 

Murray was the worst manager I've seen at St Mirren by some distance.

He's now trying to make excuses so he can get another club. Fair enough.

The reality is he had an almost blank canvas, a competitive budget and some talented young players. Yet he made a rip roaring c**t of it from start to finish. It was no surprise results improved dramatically when we gave a competent manager like Alex Rae the reigns.

Having read the article back again, Murray is completely contradicting the comments he was making at the start of the season.

He claims in the article St Mirren have one of the smallest budgets in the division yet at the start of the season he was shouting about challenging for the league. Surely to god if you had that small a budget you wouldn't be chanting about a title challenge?

Would be delighted with him. Strange why it never worked out at super js for him. Would do very well in the champ if he is anything close to like the player that left us.

What age would he be now?

Sun linking us with Sutton. Dunno how much truth is in it.

The Sun are usually pretty spot on with Saints news. They got the Sutton scoop last summer when he signed for us as well.

Would be delighted with him. Strange why it never worked out at super js for him. Would do very well in the champ if he is anything close to like the player that left us.

What age would he be now?

32. No age at all  8)  :ph34r:

I'd be very happy to see John Sutton back with us. He gave us a couple of great seasons and is still a goalscorer at a good level.

Unfortunately for him it's just not worked at all at St. Johnstone. I'd even argue he's not been given much of a chance there. If he's willing to drop a division, I'd be delighted to have him. Remember him in an interview a couple of years back stating he still had a soft spot for us as his time with us reignited his career at a point when he wasn't sure if he wanted to carry on in football.

I'd be very happy to see John Sutton back with us. He gave us a couple of great seasons and is still a goalscorer at a good level.

Unfortunately for him it's just not worked at all at St. Johnstone. I'd even argue he's not been given much of a chance there. If he's willing to drop a division, I'd be delighted to have him. Remember him in an interview a couple of years back stating he still had a soft spot for us as his time with us reignited his career at a point when he wasn't sure if he wanted to carry on in football.

He just doesn't suit us unfortunately. He only played 950 minutes with us in the league, but he showed virtually nothing to merit any more time on the park.

Good on him, I was always really impressed with him as he rose through the divisions with Dumbarton and then Alloa Athletic, so it's pretty cool to see he's a joined a big club (relatively speaking, of course!) like St Mirren. I haven't seen him play in a couple of years but I hope he does the Buddies a good turn.

Aye I'd second that,

Ben came to us from amateur football in 2008, and pretty instantly made the step up the the 3rd Division look easy. He played a massive role in our 2008/09 title winning team whilst doing a degree in (iirc) Maths or Statistics or something like that at Uni. He was made our captain in 2010 after Mick Dunlop left, before leaving the club at the end of the season having had a disagreement with Jim Chapman (I believe).

He joined Alloa and was a hero there, before signing for Livingston last summer and looking decent in a shambles of a team.

He's a cracking, old fashioned centre-half. Strong, intimidating, dominant in the air and alright on the deck. As FF says I'm pleased to see him joining a 'big club' and I hope he does well for you lot. He'll be a solid 7 or 8/10 every week.

Archived