The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy Webster signs a one year contract extension today.

This is also good news. Rae is putting together a team that could hit the top four next season. Obviously there is still work to do, and a lot of players to bring in still, but this is an encouraging start to the off season.

John McGinn, 21 years old.

League Cup winner, now Scottish Cup winner.

Scotland International.

Wow.

WE'VE GOT MCGINN.

Pleased for him, and you.

I'm not at the wind-up here: he obviously can't have thought he'd be spending another year in the Championship with Hibs. I'm hoping he stays patient, spends at least another year with you, performs brilliantly, wins more caps and cranks up that transfer value.

John McGinn, 21 years old.

League Cup winner, now Scottish Cup winner.

Scotland International.

Wow.

WE'VE GOT MCGINN.

Unfortunately you have thousands of hooligans who ruined the Cup Final for John McGinn and decent fans.

This thread is boring.

Can someone start an obviously made up rumour to get the chat going?

In all seriousness, are there any (realistic) names anyone would like us to bring in? Maybe ones that haven't been mentioned?

This thread is boring.

In all seriousness, are there any (realistic) names anyone would like us to bring in? Maybe ones that haven't been mentioned?

Rangers have released Nicky Clark, maybe he'd be interesting you.

That's the best made up rumour I could give you to start a chat

This thread is boring.

Like alot of clubs I suspect, we really need that elusive 15-20 goal a season striker.

We've won this league twice this century. The first time in 2000 with Yardley getting 21. Second time in 2006 with Sutton getting 17 goals. In recent seasons in the top flight both Thommo and Higdon have scored over 15 goals in a season.

Last season our top scorer was Mallan with 14 and our top scoring striker was Shankland with 10. That lack of goals from the forwards was a big problem for us all season.

A bit of back to the future has been suggested on BAWA in the form of Sutton and Lappin. Both have been released by St Johnstone, both played a big part in our 2006 double winning team and I think both would be interested in coming back. They're obviously getting on a bit but I think they'd still have something to offer at this level.

Chance you lads could make the play offs this year?

I think we will. If the league had started on the day Rae was appointed we would have finished fourth. He turned us into to a pretty effective side fairly quickly, even if it wasn't pretty most of the time. We were just held back by the disaster that was Ian Murray.

In saying that, Rae has a contract till the end of next season. If he doesn't get us in the playoffs he won't be getting a new one.

Aye, would definitely agree. Lappin I'm not so sure about, but could be a good shout for cover. He might be best suited to a deep lying playmaking role these days anyway.

In terms of positions needing filled, I think we need 1 x CB, 1 x LB, 1 x winger, and 3 x forwards. Ideally we'd bring in another goalie and centre mid too.

I can see Rae going for the likes of Nicky Clark, but imagine he'll be off to a Premiership club or lower league club in England, despite him being unproven at even this level. Might be worth enquiring about some of the Hibs fringe players, such as Boyle, Carmichael etc. Think they're under contract though.

Hopefully Rae can use his contacts in England to bring in a few unknowns.

Like alot of clubs I suspect, we really need that elusive 15-20 goal a season striker.

We've won this league twice this century. The first time in 2000 with Yardley getting 21. Second time in 2006 with Sutton getting 17 goals. In recent seasons in the top flight both Thommo and Higdon have scored over 15 goals in a season.

Last season our top scorer was Mallan with 14 and our top scoring striker was Shankland with 10. That lack of goals from the forwards was a big problem for us all season.

A bit of back to the future has been suggested on BAWA in the form of Sutton and Lappin. Both have been released by St Johnstone, both played a big part in our 2006 double winning team and I think both would be interested in coming back. They're obviously getting on a bit but I think they'd still have something to offer at this level.

Sutton is under contract, but he is free to leave/go on loan if anyone wants him. He only played something like 900 minutes of football with us (4 starts in amongst that) and scored once. He just didn't suit our style of play, but I'm certain he'd do a job for someone if he's given a proper run in the team and the manager is willing to play to his strengths.

Lappin would be a good signing for any bottom six side, and would be excellent for St Mirren at their current level IMO. He's a decent option in the middle and can still play on the left, although I think he's lost whatever pace he once had. His deliveries from wide are still excellent though, as are his set plays.

Doubt you'd be getting the 2006 versions back, but they would both be top signings for a championship campaign.

This thread is boring.

Yeah, it's gone shite since Morton fans got over the euphoria of ending their 'superb', 'glorious' season having drawn one more game than us. I almost miss their hilarious hashtags, memes, gifs and jokes about spoon-burning.

Folk on B&WA suggesting we could be getting Shankland as part of a player+cash deal for John Baird. I'd take that. He could be good for 20 goals in a top-four team at this level.

Archived