The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/29/2017 at 21:11, Rjc-1988 said:

Yes St Mirren are a bigger club than QOS and a much bigger team than Dumbarton. Think you picked a bad example in Dunfermline who in my opinion are of a very similar size to you.

Notwithstanding the demeaning examples shown as I recall the St Mirren fans were desperate to get rid of Danny Lennon when the team were playing expressive expansive football. He won a national trophy, kept the Club in the Premier League but yet Phone Ins were full of irate St Mirren fans calling for his head on the basis" that he had taken the Club as far as he could".

As the saying goes - be careful what you wish for.

I think the bit in bold is slightly inaccurate. We played expressive expansive football(that was great to watch) the season Dunfermline were in the league(11/12 i think). Then when we opened the season away at Inverness a few seasons later, we hadn't just ditched our expressive expansive football tactic, we didn't seem to have much of a game plan at all. We were horrendous that season, but managed to string together an impressive set of results in the cup(which left fans in a bit of a dilemma about whether they wanted to keep Lennon on or not). I don't think many of us we too bothered at the time when Lennon left(he'd left us with great memories, but we seemed to be getting progressively worse in the league). It was Lennon's replacement that was the problem, not him not being offered a new contract. Obviously we are a complete shambles now, f**k knows if we'll stay up this season(I keep on getting faint glimpses of optimism, that get squashed immediately after the next game:lol::(

St Mirren seem to be Scotlands version of Charlton and Alan Curbishley. Both in the top flight doing reasonably well but fans weren't happy so the managers got punted and both could conceivably be in the third tier of their respective leagues systems next season. 

I would personally. We're a shambles, we can't keep changing managers every 6 months.

Adam eckersley set to be announced later, can't remember much of his time in Scotland, has been playing in the states recently

13 minutes ago, Cowshed118 said:

Would all the St Mirren fans back Ross to be in charged should you start next season in League 1?

We're currently so bad, they're talking about a double relegation.

To answer your question, most would, but it's possibly as much about stopping the revolving door policy as an actual reflection of faith in Ross.

There are some (including everyone's favourite mentalist, Lex) who still believe an experienced man should have been appointed, and would therefore happily see Ross sacked.

I'm personally in the former camp, but won't lie, I was very disappointed when we failed to get any of the higher-profile/experienced names we were linked with when Rae was booted.

If we get to the end of the season with fewer than five wins on the board (not difficult to imagine at all) then it would be a real test of faith to keep Ross on.

4 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Fair play to Jack Ross and the board backing him to completely overhaul the squad. Didn't work out for us a few years ago but who knows. Ayr might bail you out.

Smart money at the moment is on us doing the 'full St Mirren' - hauling Ayr in, only to get pumped in the playoffs by Jim Goodwin (and the rest of Alloa...)

I would personally. We're a shambles, we can't keep changing managers every 6 months.

Adam eckersley set to be announced later, can't remember much of his time in Scotland, has been playing in the states recently

Seem to remember him being decent for Hearts if memory serves? Sure he was on the books of Man Utd years back

1 hour ago, alang1993 said:

I think the bit in bold is slightly inaccurate. We played expressive expansive football(that was great to watch) the season Dunfermline were in the league(11/12 i think). Then when we opened the season away at Inverness a few seasons later, we hadn't just ditched our expressive expansive football tactic, we didn't seem to have much of a game plan at all. We were horrendous that season, but managed to string together an impressive set of results in the cup(which left fans in a bit of a dilemma about whether they wanted to keep Lennon on or not). I don't think many of us we too bothered at the time when Lennon left(he'd left us with great memories, but we seemed to be getting progressively worse in the league). It was Lennon's replacement that was the problem, not him not being offered a new contract. Obviously we are a complete shambles now, f**k knows if we'll stay up this season(I keep on getting faint glimpses of optimism, that get squashed immediately after the next game:lol::(

That's the crux of it. This argument comes up with every club that goes backwards after a managerial change, but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. The fact that Tommy Craig was disaster doesn't mean letting Danny Lennon go was a bad thing, it means appointing Tommy Craig was a bad thing. Obviously keeping Lennon was a better option than Craig, but just as it wasn't John Hughes leaving that condemned Falkirk to relegation, it was replacing him with Eddie May, and sacking Pat Fenlon didn't relegate Hibs, appointing Terry Butcher did, you can't trace this back to letting Lennon go: you trace it back to appointing Tommy Craig.

While you'd obviously all happily swap where you are now for finishing 10th in the Premiership every season, on the face of it letting Lennon go was understandable. While Hamilton, Ross County, Falkirk, Kilmarnock and ICT all made credible pushes for or finished in the top six in St. Mirren's time in the top flight, St. Mirren never got close to it and Lennon didn't take them higher than 8th, finishing 11th twice. It wasn't unreasonable to think another manager could do better - what was unreasonable was thinking Tommy Craig could do better.

^^^ nailed it.

Most agreed Lennon's time was up. Nobody agreed that Craig should be the replacement. What's happened since then has been a case study in clusterfuckery.

Ah well. We'll be back one day, sans bragging rights about never having played in the third tier.

The one major difference was that Hughes didnt get the boot from us he moved to Hibs. Yes we made an arse of his replacement but we were forced to get someone in the door. Sacking a manager whose doing a decent if unspectacular job( league cup win to me is pretty good though) and then ending up perhaps in league 1 isn't the brightest move. Did Lennon not perhaps deserve another shot at it before moving on?

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

^^^ nailed it.

Most agreed Lennon's time was up. Nobody agreed that Craig should be the replacement. What's happened since then has been a case study in clusterfuckery.

Ah well. We'll be back one day, sans bragging rights about never having played in the third tier.

Yip, I cannot ever remember a single managerial appointment, or even player signing, that everyone was 100% against.

Signing Nacho Novo (even now) wouldn't have met with such enormous levels of disappointment.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The one major difference was that Hughes didnt get the boot from us he moved to Hibs. Yes we made an arse of his replacement but we were forced to get someone in the door. Sacking a manager whose doing a decent if unspectacular job( league cup win to me is pretty good though) and then ending up perhaps in league 1 isn't the brightest move. Did Lennon not perhaps deserve another shot at it before moving on?

DL didn't get the boot either, his contract expired and we didn't renew it.

Ach he was a really nice man, will go down in history for the cup win he achieved, tried to play football the 'nice way' but more often than not it didn't come off. I think Austin McPhee and Brian Caldwell played a big part behind the scenes that went unnoticed which would have helped Danny but on the park we weren't that great. We'd often go 5-6-7 games without a win and the pressure would build on him then he'd pull a couple of results out the bag. In fact we hardly won a match after the cup win and brought that form into the following season, I know it goes without saying but that cup win bought him extra time.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2475&comp_id=13&teamTabs=results

Look at they results there. Only 4 league wins between the middle of November and March. The old board didn't sack managers that often, Gus and Danny got well over 10 years between them. Danny was very fortunate to keep his job on several occasions that season, but goodwill paid off and he did keep us up. The board were probably correct in not renewing his deal because if we got off to another crap start with no wins in the first 5, the fans would have turned on him and I don't think he deserved that. 

13 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I remember Dunfermline playing at St Mirren in our SPL season 2011/2012. I thought they were superb and should have thumped us that day. Granted, it was a dreadful Pars side but the Buddies played some excellent stuff and I remember being convinced you guys would be top six.

That was when we were at our peak, probably the best side we've had in my lifetime. Thompson just signed, Hasslebaink, Teale, Carey and of course Paul McGowan who was sensational. Was that the mental 4-4 game?

Archived