The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

4 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Even at that appointing Teale after they realised Craig was a mistake was just as fatal. Ross County and Motherwell were always going to spend in January to avoid relegation though so maybe the board just accepted our fate early.

Whole story sounds very familiar to what happened to us.  Teams in a good position in the SPL. Hughes moves on to Hibs having lost the plot  a bit in his last season at the club throwing away the policy that had suited us so well to spunk cash down the drain on some golden oldies who nearly got us relegated . Falkirk though have been in the top flight for a number of years, have excellent facilities at hand and a place in europe to look forward to. We couldn't have been more attractive to potential  managers than we were at that point. Super George Craig though manages to persuade the bod that no matter whose CV is on the table Eddie May is your man.  We then to make matters worse replace him with Pressley who takes us down without much of a fight. If thats not bad enough they then give him the job  and low and behold its now 2016 and we're still stuck down here. We've never really looked like getting relegated I suppose but St Mirrens descent mirrors ours to a large extent. Just shows you how ridiculous the decisions of some bod's can be and how badly they can effect your club.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Just shows you how ridiculous the decisions of some bod's can be and how badly they can effect your club.

Good post. And to offer you a counter-parallel, look at what happened to us at the end of the 80s. A few bad transfer decisions, money spunked on players that we really shouldn't have been spending, and we are saddled with debt that basically took two decades and a highly fortuitous deal with Tesco to get rid of. As you've said, entire seasons can pass in a fug of mediocrity when these mistakes are made. For us, last season was a write off very quickly. This one could be a write off unless the new guy hits the ground running very quickly. That could be three whole seasons gone since TC was appointed, with barely more than a handful of cumulative wins on the board.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Whole story sounds very familiar to what happened to us.  Teams in a good position in the SPL. Hughes moves on to Hibs having lost the plot  a bit in his last season at the club throwing away the policy that had suited us so well to spunk cash down the drain on some golden oldies who nearly got us relegated . Falkirk though have been in the top flight for a number of years, have excellent facilities at hand and a place in europe to look forward to. We couldn't have been more attractive to potential  managers than we were at that point. Super George Craig though manages to persuade the bod that no matter whose CV is on the table Eddie May is your man.  We then to make matters worse replace him with Pressley who takes us down without much of a fight. If thats not bad enough they then give him the job  and low and behold its now 2016 and we're still stuck down here. We've never really looked like getting relegated I suppose but St Mirrens descent mirrors ours to a large extent. Just shows you how ridiculous the decisions of some bod's can be and how badly they can effect your club.

For me the best part is when you have a chairman who hires and fires a dozen managers in a short period of time but doesn't realise the common factor in all his shitty appointments.  HIMSELF!!!!

Well at least things will be brighter on Saturday night this coming weekend for you guys. Is Shankland playing for you again this season? A player I've been impressed with past two seasons.

He is with us, but he's been a sub most matches. Rae always brought him on to take long throws that never actually worked.

3 hours ago, Rugster said:

What about Bobby Williamson? I don't even know where he is these days, last I heard he was in Uganda or somewhere.

Interestingly, Williamson's replacement at the aforementioned Kenyan Club is a coach from Hamilton called Frank Nuttall who has been out and about from the China national side to the UAE to Rangers and Hibs to Middlesborough. Won back to back titles with them and never lost a league match in two seasons. He then moved on to Zamalek with McLeish.

He's came from nowhere earlier and been placed at 6/1 on McBookie's list, so someone has clearly asked for odds on him specifically. Could mean nothing but it's certainly coming from out the blue.

I thought Rae had done a fairly decent recruitment job in the summer and was quietly impressed with the squad that he'd built so quite surprised to see St Mirren struggle at the bottom of the league.

I expect one of the first CV's to land on the chairman's desk will be that of our esteemed ex-manager, Jackie McNamara. And I wouldn't put it past him to talk his way into the job.

9 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

If only we could rewind two and a half years and not appoint Tommy Fucking Craig. Fucking snowball effect from one lazy decision, right there. Except the snowball is made of shite.

I still remember the 'huge' list of CVs Gilmour claimed to have on his desk. f**k wasting time reading them!

A shiteball?

51 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

I expect one of the first CV's to land on the chairman's desk will be that of our esteemed ex-manager, Jackie McNamara. And I wouldn't put it past him to talk his way into the job.

Think you're getting ahead of yourself a wee bit, he hasn't been sacked by York yet.  He will be though.  So maybe he'll indulge in some 'Ratnamara' style antics and get his application in just in case.  For any Partick fans wanting to indulge in some schadenfreude:

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/14749763.Underfire_York_City_boss_Jackie_McNamara_insists_he_will_be_judged_at_end_of_season/

6 minutes ago, Redstarstranraer said:

Think you're getting ahead of yourself a wee bit, he hasn't been sacked by York yet.  He will be though.  So maybe he'll indulge in some 'Ratnamara' style antics and get his application in just in case.  For any Partick fans wanting to indulge in some schadenfreude:

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/14749763.Underfire_York_City_boss_Jackie_McNamara_insists_he_will_be_judged_at_end_of_season/

Oh aye, I would be willing to bet McNamara already has his CV in, irrelevant of the fact he's still employed by York.

A Sunday night sacking....does this point to a new manager in place for black and white shite game on Saturday.....

sorry I contemplated for about 5mins with that reference, tho I doubt as things stand, no one from St Mirren or the Fifers will complain.

A big big appointment for St Mirren this one, on paper everyone should finish above Dumbarton and Ayr but football isn't won on paper. 

Another poor appointment could somehow make things worserer

I'm looking forward to viewing the game on Alba on Saturday after being at ours, sets up the night out afterwards nicely.....

Archived