The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

McGinn played for a year in the under-20s (or whatever it was called then). In the summer of 2013 he was offered a new deal but he chose to leave as he wanted first team football. As we had a seemingly reliable, experienced rightback at the time that didn't look likely so off he went. No problem with that - he backed his ability to go and play elsewhere knowing if he did a good enough job he'd soon be back in the top flight. Would rather that than someone kicking about on the bench - although as it happened if he'd done that he might have got his chance with us when it emerged Vanzy was done at the top level, opening the way for Jason Naismith.

As for McGowan, I think it's fairly obvious he was binned mainly for non-footballing reasons!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently he's been working with a personal coach since January and it's really shown. Definitely our most improved player between start and end of the season.

Pity he hadn't been working with personal Coach since last Summer.

Too fucking late in January.

The Season started months before.

Paul McGowan was a good player for Saints. However, not as good as John McGinn or Kenny McLean. A horrendous managerial choice meant we went down not the loss of players like Paul McGinn & Paul McGowan.

His quality vs two other players who have also left us is slightly irrelevant - he was a magic player. It's more the manner of his departure that sticks in my throat. I also wasn't really saying Gowser's departure sent us down, but surely it's in our interests to keep our best players? It's all part of the same picture/problem.

As for McGowan, I think it's fairly obvious he was binned mainly for non-footballing reasons!

You could argue the same goes for Jim (and no, I don't mean Rae's choice of school). So my point stands: letting Jim go feels like a Gowser moment. 

Gowser has thrived at a rival that has pretty much left us in the shade since he signed. Who honestly gives a f**k about those non-footballing reasons now? If Goodwin plays for Morton, Raith, Dumbarton, or whoever next season, he'll bring something to them that, unless we find a top-notch replacement, we lack.

Gowser wanted to stay and letting him go was a mistake of monumental proportions. Still cannot believe we were stupid enough. We did not have much choice with the two McGinns and McLean but Goody is another one who wants to stay and we are getting rid of. Another big mistake.

I would say losing McGowan did play a massive role in us getting relegated.

He took so much pressure of other players by being a ball greedy wee shite. No one wanted the ball after he left it was like the proverbial hot potato.

I know he wasn't as great in his final year as he had been and maybe we had to let him go for "non footballing" reasons but we had to replace him and didn't. Goodwin going might be for the best, as long as we replace him with someone of equal ability and drive/desire/dig.

Murray said Howieson wasn't a winger but persisted on playing him there. Player in there somewhere.

I agree. Howieson isn't as bad as made out. It was clear his best position was in behind a striker or centre mid. Smacks of what we did to Andy Dorman, a player that struggled out wide under McPherson's 4 central midfielders policy, move him in behind a striker and he looked miles better. Problem is he was never going to get that role with Mallan there. 

Howieson's run and finish at Ibrox was cracking and probably saved us from a horsing! 

What that goal cost Queens 30k .How much did St Mirren get and what did Queens get in prizemoney.

No idea of the total, all I know is it was worth an extra 30k to finish sixth rather than seventh.

Its only 10 grand between 6th and 7th.

Prize money:

£474,750

£400,900

£337,600

£274,300

£211,000

£189,900

£179,350

£168,800

£158,250

£147,700

Thanks for that did not think there was 30k between 7th and 6th..

One thing for sure it was a poor season for both clubs but at least you now have a good manager in place.

You have to be fav. for the top 4 next season

Can't put into words how happy I am that Livi are down. Good riddance to them.

As Sergi points out above, it's a top class away day to either Ayr or Stranraer. Who would Buddies prefer? Personally I'd say Stranraer because I've never been, but Ayr's always a great trip.

Thoughts?

Don't really mind. Got great memories of Ayr and it's a pretty easy journey. Only remember going to Stranraer once and it was a cup game around the early 90's. We pumped them 5-0 it always stands out to me as Victor Munez' best performance for us.

A lot of fans forget Billy Mehmet didn't just score that goal against Dundee in the title winning season, he also scored against Stranraer away on the last game of the season. That was a stunningly steaming trip, possibly why that Mehmet goal is often forgotten about.

We have taken some huge crowds to Ayr in the cup recently, always good to get that old place rocking.

Archived