The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

Is Andy Webster staying another season

Looks like it. Pretty sure he's out of contract, but he isn't listed as being released.

Quite glad about that, he (like everyone) was terrible under Murray but has improved immensely since Rae took over. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was hoping for a return to Arbroath.Webby said when he left Arbroath,he would like to return to Arbroath at the end of his career.

Looks like it. Pretty sure he's out of contract, but he isn't listed as being released.

Quite glad about that, he (like everyone) was terrible under Murray but has improved immensely since Rae took over.

He had a years option which he, or the club chose to take up.

I really would like to see Shankland back. He's been superb. I have a feeling he will end up at one of the smaller Premiership sides.

Apparently he's been working with a personal coach since January and it's really shown. Definitely our most improved player between start and end of the season.

Sean Kelly has apparently fallen out of love with the game and will be taking a step back.

No other players in the squad are out of contract except Callum Gallagher. I assume he is mulling over a deal at the moment.

I'd have also probably kept Cooper but as mentioned, Morgan is a better player and younger.

Someone on the b&w army mentioned something similar with regards to Kelly. Absolute no truth in it whatsoever, he would've stayed if he was offered a contract and will be looking for another club.

As you've said, hopefully Morgan steps up to the plate this year. He wasn't given much opportunity this season but a big season for him next year.

Someone on the b&w army mentioned something similar with regards to Kelly. Absolute no truth in it whatsoever, he would've stayed if he was offered a contract and will be looking for another club.

That's where I saw it as well from a couple of posters. One saying he was giving up full time football to join the police.

I would personally take Goodwin in a heartbeat at the Rovers. 

Just when I thought Pie and Bovril was overrun with people with no clue, Calderon shows an appreciation of what the Legend could bring to any team at this level.

I feel like we may regret letting him go. Is this another Paul McGowan moment?

Just when I thought Pie and Bovril was overrun with people with no clue, Calderon shows an appreciation of what the Legend could bring to any team at this level.

I feel like we may regret letting him go. Is this another Paul McGowan moment?

Also relevant if you replace McGowan with McGinn.

Imagine keeping Van Zanten over a young McGinn. One of lifes great mysteries.

Vanzy was nearing the end of his career. A career that seen him win a championship and two cups, not a bad haul for a player who remains a club legend at Saints.

Paul McGinn showed nothing in his time at Saints, I don't think we regret letting him go. I wouldn't have him in the team ahead of Naismith. DVZ was a great right back.

Paul McGowan was a good player for Saints. However, not as good as John McGinn or Kenny McLean. A horrendous managerial choice meant we went down not the loss of players like Paul McGinn & Paul McGowan.

Paul McGinn showed nothing in his time at Saints, I don't think we regret letting him go. I wouldn't have him in the team ahead of Naismith. DVZ was a great right back.

Paul McGowan was a good player for Saints. However, not as good as John McGinn or Kenny McLean. A horrendous managerial choice meant we went down not the loss of players like Paul McGinn & Paul McGowan.

According to the ever reliable Wikipedia he made a grand total of 0 appearances for St Mirren. It must have been difficult for him to show he's worth keeping and that he was a far better option than Van Zanten.

McGinn was a revelation for us and has continued to impress. I remember being astounded at the time that he couldn't get into your team, and having Vanzy for a season only reaffirmed that.

Paul McGinn showed nothing in his time at Saints, I don't think we regret letting him go. I wouldn't have him in the team ahead of Naismith. DVZ was a great right back.

I like Naismith, but the fact he's playing for St Mirren and Paul McGinn's in the Premiership with Dundee whilst being linked with moves to Celtic and England would suggest that he's not the better player.

According to Soccerbase McGinn didn't play a single competitive game for you lot. Must be difficult to judge him on a handful of friendlies, 20s games and Renfrewshire Cup matches. He was comfortably the best RB in the league when he was with us a few years ago, and has only improved since then.

Archived