The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

Well, 15/16 is officially over and was by all means a bust. So sooner we get it behind us and look ahead, the better.

We're already releasing 13 players and although not all have been announced, it's fair to say that aside from Thommo, Goodwin and Watson, the likes of Gow, Agnew, Cooper, Kelly, Carswell and Howieson will be moving on to pastures new.

Rumoured to be coming in so far have been the likes of Nade, Kieran Duffie, Jamie McGowan and Joe McKee. Though McGowan just signed a new deal with Morton so is a no go. Joe McKee is horseshit as well so hopefully not.

Goodwin is also being rumoured to be Dunfermline bound.

So 13 out and 9 or 10 to come in. It's going to be another interesting pre season to say the least.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has also been noted that Shankland would be happy to stay on for another season if Aberdeen allow it but I reckon he's shown enough in the second half of the season to get a gig at a bottom six Premiership side. Partick Thistle spring immediately to mind as a good fit for him.

In general I reckon we need a keeper, a centre half, someone who can cover one or both full back positions, a holding mid, two wide men and three centre forwards considering we have none.

Goodwin is also being rumoured to be Dunfermline bound.

We made an approach for Goodwin with John Potter being the "connection" between the sides, it didn't come off though.

Apparently he went on to say it was for the best as his lack of pace wouldn't have suited us :lol:

Would be happy with Darren Barr or the Rangers player that was on loan at Morton who is being released for our defence.

I'd be happier if we looked farther than the end of our nose and signed some lower league players from England in the mould of Draper and Warren at ICT.

Since we've got rid of Goodwin we need a big dirty b*****d that kicks f**k out of anything that moves and can play a bit of football in between.

We made an approach for Goodwin with John Potter being the "connection" between the sides, it didn't come off though.

Apparently he went on to say it was for the best as his lack of pace wouldn't have suited us :lol:

You're due Great Ormond Street £20.

Thank you.

I'd be happier if we looked farther than the end of our nose and signed some lower league players from England in the mould of Draper and Warren at ICT.

Since we've got rid of Goodwin we need a big dirty b*****d that kicks f**k out of anything that moves and can play a bit of football in between.

Fair enough yeah, I'm forgetting Alex will have contacts down South. Whether we can afford them is another matter though.

Paul Hartley was on the radio saying League 1 and League 2 players in England are too expensive wage wise, for Dundee. We'd be delving in to much deeper and unknown territory in the non league. For every Vardy there is 100 Callum Balls.

What we lack in finance we'll make up with in facilities and a grass pitch.

Would be happy with Darren Barr or the Rangers player that was on loan at Morton who is being released for our defence.

Rae tried to sign Barr in January but he opted to stay at Dumbarton.

As I posted in the Sevco match thread, I hope we replace Jim Goodwin with someone who produces even half as much seethe from the opposition. A dirty, niggly fucker at the base of midfield/CH is a long standing St Mirren tradition and I fully believe Alex Rae will have an eye for that sort of signing.

Another season from Shankland woukd be magic, if unlikely. He could score 20 goals for any team that didn't spend a third of the season being utterly fucking shite.

I aldo think Gasparotto would be a decent signing, but I also think we'd be competing with the bottom end of the Prem for him.

Should be an interesting summer, at least.

A few mentions of Barr on here.

I was actually quite surprised St Mirren had approached him during January. I like him, I'd say overall he's had a decent season but he's not been a stand out IMO.

I honestly don't think he'd be any better than what you already have/had at CB and I also don't believe he'd be any better than Goodwin at CDM.

Wouldn't be against us making a move for Goodwin if Routledge leaves (rumours of a PCA with Morton).

As I posted in the Sevco match thread, I hope we replace Jim Goodwin with someone who produces even half as much seethe from the opposition. A dirty, niggly fucker at the base of midfield/CH is a long standing St Mirren tradition and I fully believe Alex Rae will have an eye for that sort of signing.

Just one? Our Div 1 winning teams in 99/00 (Turner & Brown) and 05/06 were (Millen & Reilly) were both pretty dirty. :king

I aldo think Gasparotto would be a decent signing, but I also think we'd be competing with the bottom end of the Prem for him.

We'll certainly be in for him, but there's already little hope of it. Rumours of Dundee being interested already and it would be no surprise to see Partick and whoever stays up from Killie & Hamilton going for him too.

Gasparotto had a good season with us. I hope we offer him a deal but doubt wed be able to compete with some of the other clubs in he league. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at a bottom 6 spl side

Archived