League Cup 16/17 Draw

harry94

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's perfectly understandable that we don't get the draw until all fixtures this season are complete, but you'd think they'd have bothered to explain the format of the draw by now. Will we just be following the existing Challenge Cup regions or will it be more rigidly defined than that? All we know is the one Premiership team per group (two in one if Hibs are in Europe) arrangement, everything else is completely unexplained and there's still no information about the Challenge Cup either. This is piss poor.

Seedings are usually based on last year's standings to Dundee Utd are classed as the 12th team in the country, Rangers 13th, etc

Utd are slightly unlucky that either the 13th or 15th best team in Scotland are going to gain one of the four exemptions and this is going to knock them out of the seeded places

FWIW at least for year 1 I wouldn't bother with a draw at all, maybe keep the groups the same for a couple of years then go to 4 regions etc

A: St Johnstone, Hibs, Alloa, East Fife, Edinburgh 

B: Motherwell, QOS, Stranraer, Stenhousemuir, Annan

C: Ross County, Raith Rovers, Dunfermline, Cowdenbeath, Stirling 

D: Inverness, Falkirk, Airdrie, Clyde, East Stirling

E: Dundee, Dundee Utd, Peterhead, Elgin, Cove 

F: Partick, St Mirren, Albion Rovers, Queen's Park, Montrose

G: Hamilton, Dumbarton, Livingston, Brechin, Arbroath

H: Kilmarnock, Morton, Ayr, Forfar, Berwick

Seedings are usually based on last year's standings to Dundee Utd are classed as the 12th team in the country, Rangers 13th, etc

Utd are slightly unlucky that either the 13th or 15th best team in Scotland are going to gain one of the four exemptions and this is going to knock them out of the seeded places

FWIW at least for year 1 I wouldn't bother with a draw at all, maybe keep the groups the same for a couple of years then go to 4 regions etc

You couldn't keep groups the same every year unless assuming that the same teams will be in Europe each year and even then there will be promotions & relegations meaning different seeded teams every year.

Part of me will still be surprised if there are no draws, and the groups are simply set by Doncaster/SPFL Board/some committee.

There are a variety of problems as previously mentioned... including the way the geography works, or rather fails to, for natural groups of 5 - especially with the Premiership seeding; the issue of fairness due varying quality across the country (3 Angus sides in SPFL2 next season!); staleness after a couple of years; and so on.

Equally they'll see merit in groups without long distances and derbies for TV. Especially since 2 matchdays are midweek, plus people have to be made to feel they aren't glorified friendlies.

Perhaps they'll pre-seed the Ayrshire/Dundee/Renfrewshire/etc. derbies, then draw from several regions?

Why are Montrose in a group with Glasgow area teams?!

Kilmarnock, Forfar and Berwick in the same group?

Guest DAVIDB69

Why are Montrose in a group with Glasgow area teams?!

But rangers or hibs won't have to play in this so united will be a seed

Guest DAVIDB69

But rangers or hibs won't have to play in this so united will be a seed

Sorry I see what you mean fourth place in league will have to play in this

Guest DAVIDB69

The sections were scrapped after just two seasons in the 80s, I wouldn't be surprised if this shambles is culled even earlier. Four matches to reach round 2, aye, haud me back!

I do think it's going back to the early 80s with this

Archived