League Cup 16/17 Draw

harry94

Guest DAVIDB69

I assume Inverness v Dundee United and Motherwell v rangers will likely be games 4 and 5 in this set up

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DAVIDB69

As a United fan thought I might get some of the grounds I need to complete the set no such luck

Lets see if the rangers will be able to try and keep the moral high ground after their game against us. The amount of seeth and pent up aggression against our club will spew out of them like lava from a volcano. If its at Fir Park I'm predicting a full blown pitch invasion by the zombies to attack Motherwell players and fans along with the usual songbook as a backing track to the madness.

What group could you have got that didn't have two FT opponents? :huh:

It's not a complaint, just an observation. Odds of advancing are low when there are 2 FT teams and only the winners progress.

Best chance is probably to beat a seed / get 2 draws - ideally with shoot-out bonuses - and hope to finish 2nd and be among best runners-up.

It'll hardly be Rangers material, but I imagine we'll take a few hundred if we're away to you on a Saturday. We haven't played you away since 2004.

I recall it.

Those were the days we had to segregate for Morton and Airdrie visits!

Is it definitely just 5 section TV games, by the way? Original announcements were 6 in the sections and 7 in the knockouts for total of 13 overall.

Not that we'll get any, tbf.

They are understandably taking this up but there will be a lot of dead games

Which is why they got rid of the group stages in the 1980's.

Give it a few seasons and we'll be back to a straight knock out.

Anyway, wouldn't mind QoS away as we haven't been down there for a while, but other that, meh.

Motherwell

Sevco

Stranraer

East Stirlingshire

Annan

Hopefully Well get to play Annan away - 1st competitive match and trip to Galabank chalked off.

Hope Stranraer play Motherwell at Fir Park - been there, but never seen us playing there!

Which is why they got rid of the group stages in the 1980's.

Give it a few seasons and we'll be back to a straight knock out.

Anyway, wouldn't mind QoS away as we haven't been down there for a while, but other that, meh.

Tbf, the old sectional format - in its final form - was somewhat different.

On the one hand they were groups of 4 playing home/away, which was a bit more repetitive.

On the other hand the top 2 progressed, so there were fewer dead-rubbers.

It remains to be seen how the bonus points play-out, but depending when the seeds receive their day off, a lot of clubs will effectively go out by halfway. First defeat, especially to a non-seed, is virtually last-chance-saloon.

Archived