League Cup 16/17 Draw

harry94

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But no further basic information as to how they plan to run the organise first round of the tournament? Given that they have secured TV rights and sponsorship you'd have to suspect that we'll be looking at very local, semi-permanent groups - matches like the Dundee (and potentially Ayrshire) derbies being effectively guaranteed. There's no other good explanation as to why the tournament has suddenly found sponsors willing to buy rights weeks in advance for an entirely new format.

If so then I can see the new format growing very, very stale beyond a handful of derby matches.

This is one of the main arguments I have against the entire format. I think it will erode the appeal and significance of derby matches as well until they almost become just another match for the most part.

The whole thing is a load of bollocks and after a year or two of moderate success (because it's 'new'), it will very quickly slide and become even worse than the current format (which I think has a couple of flaws but is far better than this ill thought out pish that was proven to not work previously).

We already know that the 4 teams that will be playing in Euro qualifiers will not be in the group stage. Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, (Sevco or Hibs)

In the SPFL,s thinking the 4 euro teams would  most likely all be Premiership teams.

My gut feeling is telling me this is how it will pan out.

So we have 8 groups. 8 premiership teams will be seeded into seperate groups.

Next top 8 teams in previous seasons finishing order (obviously teams promoted/relegated to and from Premiership would be used to decide which pot they go into and not the old SPFL model) would be seeded into seperate groups from each other.

the remaining 24 teams, 2 from Chamionship, 20 from Leagues 1 and 2, and 1 each from Highland and Lowland Leagues (champions from previous year if teams failed in promotion or relegated SPFL team)

So 8 groups of 5. Minimum 1 Prem, 1 Championship team, and 3 others from remaining 24 teams.

Obviously if Hibs were to win the Scottish Cup and failed to get promoted you would have 1 group with 2 Prem, 1 Championship and 2 others in a group. That would be an interesting group

Also think playing these games in July is great.

Peoples arguements against summer football was that no TV company would pay any extra to screen games in July etc. Well BT seem keen to screen these games and are paying more than the cup has got before. Of course they are getting 13 games rather than 3 or 4 but the extra cash more than makes up for that. And BT are paying to screen group games without the Big teams in them.

Who knows if the format is succesful and the audiences are there then in the future that deal may go up in value, they may even tweak the format again to include the european qualifier teams also to bring extra revenue. Who knows what could happen.

Tbf, I don't remember many/any people saying TV wouldn't show some games in July.

Schedule "revolution" is a great example of giving out a PR soundbyte then the media lapping it up, though. For 80% of clubs, the season is beginning a whole 7 days earlier than it has before. In some cases only 3 days earlier.

But no further basic information as to how they plan to run the organise first round of the tournament? Given that they have secured TV rights and sponsorship you'd have to suspect that we'll be looking at very local, semi-permanent groups - matches like the Dundee (and potentially Ayrshire) derbies being effectively guaranteed. There's no other good explanation as to why the tournament has suddenly found sponsors willing to buy rights weeks in advance for an entirely new format.

If so then I can see the new format growing very, very stale beyond a handful of derby matches.

It will end up diluting Derby matches also, we'd be looking at playing Raith/Falkirk five times a year. I'm not a fan of the new format.

This is one of the main arguments I have against the entire format. I think it will erode the appeal and significance of derby matches as well until they almost become just another match for the most part.

The whole thing is a load of bollocks and after a year or two of moderate success (because it's 'new'), it will very quickly slide and become even worse than the current format (which I think has a couple of flaws but is far better than this ill thought out pish that was proven to not work previously).

That's not an argument against the entire format: they could still use loose regions like those used for the Challenge Cup and the repetitiveness wouldn't be an issue. Greater Highland/Lowland League could also be used. There'd be very little repetition or dilution of matches in those alternatives. But the announcements of a TV deal and sponsorship in advance points to some commercial guarantees being in place to ensure big matches will be held, which does sound terrible once the novelty wears off.

The League Cup format needed change so we've got it. Give it a chance, at least maybe a couple of new away days all round. Should be one Premier team in each group so that will add more interest than the usual stuff.

It's hard to 'give it a chance' when they haven't disclosed what system they plan to use for the first round; yet they provide enough information to the TV company and the sponsors to entice them to sign up. 

It will end up diluting Derby matches also, we'd be looking at playing Raith/Falkirk five times a year. I'm not a fan of the new format.

The diluting theory is seldom evidenced in attendances though. You could play a team half a dozen times in a season and it wouldn't matter as long as there felt like there was something sufficient at stake. It's not as if the Hibs-Falkirk or Ayr-Stranraer ties have suffered for familiarity.

Tbf, I don't remember many/any people saying TV wouldn't show some games in July.

Schedule "revolution" is a great example of giving out a PR soundbyte then the media lapping it up, though. For 80% of clubs, the season is beginning a whole 7 days earlier than it has before. In some cases only 3 days earlier.

And yet it's brought an extra £2m to Scottish Football

Well precisely, that's what I'm saying... obviously the format has changed and it brings in the smaller Premiership clubs from the start, but the idea that they've also taken in a swathe of new playing season is an example of 'spin' which seems to have worked very well. Even small clubs will get however many extra thousand £ in income for starting one week earlier - they'll be happy with that.

(Obviously the pay-off is that small clubs look unlikely to ever progress from sections unless draw throws-up weak groups).

I suspect the draw won't be made until after the Scottish Cup final, but would it be too much to ask the SPFL PR people to actually come out and let us know the date of the draw and how it will be made?

the draw will probably be early july,that's how these clowns usually roll

I suspect the draw won't be made until after the Scottish Cup final, but would it be too much to ask the SPFL PR people to actually come out and let us know the date of the draw and how it will be made?

It cant be till after the cup final as one of Hibs or Rangers will be excluded.

Archived