League Cup 16/17 Draw

harry94

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you two are debating two different rules.

Theres a UEFA rule, where they don't want domestic games televised at the same time as the Champions League, but they can't enforce that rule for the Euros as its too early in the Summer.

I've not said anything about the Champions League. Not least because it's irrelevant.

Theres also a rule in the UK about not televising games at 3pm on a Saturday, to discourage people from sitting in a pub instead of attending games, but again, its too early in the season to enforce that.

Yes, that's the UEFA "blackout" period, or blocked broadcasting hours (Saturdays, 2.45pm-5.15pm, starting with the first domestic league games), defined by the Scottish, English and Nothern Irish FAs*. If that weren't in place, there would be nothing stopping live games at 3pm on Saturdays.

*The Scottish period is generally in force for the whole season, while the English one has gaps for international breaks. The FAW also define their own, but with slightly different hours.

Like The Master says, the blackout is set by the national association. As we are in basically the same TV market, we have pretty much the same set periods. Having these times for the League Cup will have been a part of why BT got involved.

I've always thought we should change our blackout time to Sunday 3.45 - 6.15, as that would mess up Sky's Super Sunday. Given the money in English football, they would just send a cheque for a few million so they could continue broadcasting in Scotland at that time.

Ok, I was wrong about UEFA having nothing to do with it, but all they do is go along with the decisions of national associations. It's down to the SFA but it would be interesting to see what would happen if they removed the blackout without the FA doing the same.

Ok, I was wrong about UEFA having nothing to do with it, but all they do is go along with the decisions of national associations.

Well, no, because:

1. The associations have to demonstrate to UEFA that the time specified is when most games are played; and

2. UEFA enforce it.

It's down to the SFA but it would be interesting to see what would happen if they removed the blackout without the FA doing the same.

Very little.

S4C broadcast live Welsh Premier League games on Saturday afternoons until a couple of years ago. I presume they were forced to stop as the channel is available UK wide on Sky.

Archived