The ones who got away

The Ronaldinho to St Mirren rumour is almost certainly true.  I can remember it being reported in the papers at the time.  Nothing wrong with the player not knowing, his agent would've been the one sorting it out.

In another quite famous one Kilmarnock asked Man Utd about Paul Scholes when we were signing Colin McKee and Neil Whitworth back in 1995.  Ferguson apparently just laughed at Alex Totten.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celtic had a deal to sign David Ginola from PSG in the mid 90s, everything was agreed on a Friday and the player was all ready to sign then and there but the story is that as the deal had been agreed very quickly Fergus McCann insisted that he take the weekend and talk over the move with his family, that was the window that Newcastle needed as the came in over that weekend and gazumped us.

Celtic had a deal to sign David Ginola from PSG in the mid 90s, everything was agreed on a Friday and the player was all ready to sign then and there but the story is that as the deal had been agreed very quickly Fergus McCann insisted that he take the weekend and talk over the move with his family, that was the window that Newcastle needed as the came in over that weekend and gazumped us.

remember this. Think gondola used Celtic for better deal at newcastle

Frank McAvennie - http://www.whufc.com/articles/20030605/frank-dont-go-joe_2236884_1135455

"From then on he attracted scouts and joined junior side Johnstone Burgh, who gave him a £500 signing on fee - and a job tarring the roads with the council. He then went on trial with Partick Thistle, whose manager was Bertie Auld. He promptly put him on as a sub one day before taking him off in the same match, advising Frank he would never make it."

West Ham paid the Buddies £340k for him. 

In the early 70s Alan Hansen had a trial at Hibs and Eddie Turnbull was desperate to sign him, but he turned them down as he was convinced that his future lay with golf at the time. Not too long after that he went to Partick Thistle.

Saints were offered A youngster by Leeds in the 50/60's. They said he was wanting to return to Scotland. Saints turned the player down.

The player was Billy Bremner.

Several thistle supporting mates have mentioned it numerous times over the years. taken it to be true as I can't think of any reason why they'd make it up. Can't seem to see any trace of it online mind you

The word 'gullible' no longer appears in the OED.

Here to help.

;)

Kenny Samson and a couple of World Cup finals Cameroon players.

The more I think this before I type the more it sounds bullshit but:

1) were the players Makanaky and Tataw?

2) they had actually agreed to sign but due to there being a limited number of work permits for footballers in the UK and less countries being in the EU in 1990 we were stuffed, the currants getting Kutznetzov taking the last one?

There was also that USA player Bruce Murray who was something similar in terms of work permit issues, Wiki suggests he went to Millwall instead of us.

More recently and not on the international scale, we did obviously have Kane Hemmings on trial in 2013 after he got punted out of Ibrox and said no which hasn't looked tremendously clever this season.

Raith had a nominal transfer fee accepted for a Watford youth who looked unlikely to make it at the club. Couldn't agree terms. The player? Ashley Young.

Not the most decorated of names but Paddy McCourt had a trial at Motherwell a few years before joining Celtic. Whether it was his attitude or money, nothing ever came of it. 

Off the top of my head Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was going to sign for Motherwell, but we couldn't afford him or something.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was, so it is said, offered to to Alex McLeish while he was Motherwell manager by the players agent and McLeish turned him down.

I suspect it is a bullshit story as Solskjaer was sold by his original club Clausenengen to Molde for a six figure fee.

Anyway we had Tommy Coyne, Dougie Arnott, Alex Burns and Willie Falconer so he clearly wasn't getting a game anyway!

Kenny Samson and a couple of World Cup finals Cameroon players.

I'm sure the Samson story went like this;

Lambie put a contract in front of him and said "there's the contract, sign it or f**k off"

Samson fucked off.

Archived