Those were the days............

Dindeleux

First time i played elite on my old bbc b. Was so radically far ahead of anything that id ever played, that i lost an entire summer to it trying to perfect docking, combat and working out a profitable strategy. I still play it on my laptop 30 years on. Still cant believe 2 students could have made such an awesome game and that several companies turned them away

This game nearly caused me to kill my brother. Had it on ps1 and had turned Bolton into a powerhouse, top class stadium the works. I'm usually terrible at management games so I was very proud of my achievements. I came in one day to see my brother playing it, not using my Bolton team but I was sure it was my memory card that was in! The dopey b*****d had saved over my glorious achievements.

My brother nearly killed me for a similar memory card gaffe.  He had been playing Final Fantasy 8 for about 8 hours straight in my room while I had been out at football.  Basically I went to plug something in and accidentally unplugged the playstation plug.  Next thing I know the controller is flying across the room towards my face but was thankfully plugged in. Turns out he hadn't saved it for about 3 hours and had defeated a couple of bosses :lol: He was proper fuming with me.

Quite right too. If it had been the other way round I'd have thrown the TV at him :lol:

who remembers this bad boy

Monster_Land_for_the_Master_System_cover

Im sure that was on wii virtual console at one point. Hidden shops n coins. Great game. An rpg remake of that or sword of vermillion would be awesome

Hackey sack, ftw!!!

Another old favourite of that period - Beachhead, must have played that game hundreds of times.

Holy shite, Beachhead!

Could rarely get it to load on my High Fidelity TDK/Maxwell copy cassette tapes, though :angry:

Holy shit, the memories.

Having a furious tug over Violet Berlin from that game tv show on itv that ripped off of gamesmaster.  She had some set of hooters and as a 13 year old lad I appreciated that.  That and finding the cheat code for sonic the hedgehog.  That was like the second coming for me...  After Violet ofc.

What was the show when it gave you all the cheats really quickly at the end and you were supposed to record it and pause it? Or watch it on (was it called this) a short play video recorder or something.

What was the show when it gave you all the cheats really quickly at the end and you were supposed to record it and pause it? Or watch it on (was it called this) a short play video recorder or something.

I remember that. Perhaps Gamesmaster but I was sure it was something on ITV.

Having a furious tug over Violet Berlin from that game tv show on itv that ripped off of gamesmaster. She had some set of hooters and as a 13 year old lad I appreciated that. That and finding the cheat code for sonic the hedgehog. That was like the second coming for me... After Violet ofc.

Bad Influence. I think all the cheats was called the "data burst" in very 90s fashion. Violet Berlin was my first introduction to the notion that women might actually enjoy games too.

ETA: I'm pretty sure it was Andy Crane (remember him?) who cohosted.

Edited by Kill Jester

Having a furious tug over Violet Berlin from that game tv show on itv that ripped off of gamesmaster.  She had some set of hooters and as a 13 year old lad I appreciated that.  That and finding the cheat code for sonic the hedgehog.  That was like the second coming for me...  After Violet ofc.

She had some great chebs but I couldn't get past the militant lesbian hair cut.

(I know she isn't a lesbian, long term partner of How 2's Gareth Jones < todays trivia)

Just moved out and looking through all my old game stuff. Had pages upon pages of a walkthrough i'd printed off for link to the past when i was about 11/12. ha.

I think everyone had something similar. I used to have a final fantasy IX guidebook that I'd scribbled strategies on alongside their hints.

Cheats! I've not used cheats since my PS2 days. I remember finding Cheatmasters.com and thinking it was the best website in the world :lol:

I reckon of all the cheats I ever used Lower Wanted Level and All Weapons were the ones I used most. I can still remember one off by heart such was my frequent use! Y'all know what game those are from :D

It wouldn't cross my mind to use cheats nowadays.

Cheats! I've not used cheats since my PS2 days. I remember finding Cheatmasters.com and thinking it was the best website in the world :lol:

I reckon of all the cheats I ever used Lower Wanted Level and All Weapons were the ones I used most. I can still remember one off by heart such was my frequent use! Y'all know what game those are from :D

It wouldn't cross my mind to use cheats nowadays.

Flying cars cheat in GTA was fucking carnage. 

Seems like everyone knew a kid who played through every game with cheats turned on, then complained about them being too easy. Take up knitting or something FFS; very strange behaviour.

Except with Ghouls 'n' Ghosts and/or Goblins. You'd go mad before you finished those.

Edit: only one word for Violet Berlin: Thneth.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

The riot mode in GTA was also mental.

Who could forget invisible walls in fifa95 or what we referred to as "swampy-Shots" where you could hit a shot and bend it all over the place.

It's also been on Facebook in the last year but in FIFA 95 you could run away from referees to avoid a booking.

For the GTA cheats I can still remember a few of them.